Boarding pods, Working or Not Working?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
evil713

Boarding pods, Working or Not Working?

Postby evil713 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:23 am

They don't fire, so do they extend my boarding range? will shields block them?

Arioch

Re: Boarding pods, Working or Not Working?

Postby Arioch » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:32 am

Boarding modules are required to even attempt to board an enemy vessel that hasn't been completely immobilized. You still must be at point-blank range. As far as I'm aware, shields do not interfere with boarding modules.

halftea

Postby halftea » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 pm

I do find this is true for the Cruiser and other smaller vessels. Although I just found out yesterday that I can use my Haidur Battlecruisers to conduct boarding actions (at least against Orthin Destroyers) even without a boarding pod. Haven't tested other ship combinations. Is there something I missed about larger ships able to conduct boarding actions natively -- maybe only against smaller hulls -- that I missed?

I'll reproduce if needed, I haven't run out of Orthin yet in this particular game. :)

Edit; I didn't think to check if it's engines were damaged. I had been trading fire with it and a pair of my own destroyers earlier and had already been causing hull damage to it. That would explain the ability to board it.

Unbroken

Postby Unbroken » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Arioch wrote:Boarding modules are required to even attempt to board an enemy vessel that hasn't been completely immobilized. You still must be at point-blank range. As far as I'm aware, shields do not interfere with boarding modules.

Pretty much this. Shields don't affect boarding modules at all. Point-blank range is defined as moving right beside the target - the target's outline should be orange when you issue the move command if you're moving your ship close enough. Any further away and you won't get the option to capture/raid.

The only aspect of boarding modules I haven't gotten around to testing yet was whether multiple modules make any difference on a single ship's ability to perform those actions; my hunch is that it doesn't right now.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:35 am

Unbroken wrote:The only aspect of boarding modules I haven't gotten around to testing yet was whether multiple modules make any difference on a single ship's ability to perform those actions; my hunch is that it doesn't right now.

You're right about this. In the correct build, boarding modules, warp lane amplifiers, and deep space scanners are all systems all do grant benefits, but, there's no reason to mount more than 1 of any of them.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:44 am

Actually a question, as a mount it is capable of being destroyed right?

so in that supposed case it might be a good idea to have more than one.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:57 am

evil713 wrote:Actually a question, as a mount it is capable of being destroyed right?

so in that supposed case it might be a good idea to have more than one.

True, in theory, that is how it should work. In practice, I don't think I've actually added the logic to remove the effects of these three systems in the case that they're destroyed. I think ideally, under the current mechanics, I should just be limiting each ship to at most one each of boarding modules, deep space scanners, and lane amplifiers.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Have you considered allowing boarding pods to operate at range?

I have to say that I honestly thought that is how they would work until I tested them out. The fact that I can still board an immobilized ship without them seems to limit their utility. From a purely technical standpoint, I think boarding actions should only be allowed if you have blast doors or boarding pods (since blast doors fit on a turret and appear to be exterior door systems). That would give reason to use both, and would limit the options available to ships without those systems. It would also make blast doors useful (right now I do not see any use in them since they take critical slots). You could also limit boarding activity to only be undertaken by ships with marines.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:50 am

Rylan wrote:Have you considered allowing boarding pods to operate at range?

I have to say that I honestly thought that is how they would work until I tested them out. The fact that I can still board an immobilized ship without them seems to limit their utility. From a purely technical standpoint, I think boarding actions should only be allowed if you have blast doors or boarding pods (since blast doors fit on a turret and appear to be exterior door systems). That would give reason to use both, and would limit the options available to ships without those systems. It would also make blast doors useful (right now I do not see any use in them since they take critical slots). You could also limit boarding activity to only be undertaken by ships with marines.

I kinda like this, if reinforced bulkheads would give a defensive bonus to the ships marines to balance it out.

Return to “Testing”