Human start with Ashdar Heavy Cruiser

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Jeff Clay

Human start with Ashdar Heavy Cruiser

Postby Jeff Clay » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Hello,

i have load a saved game where i played as human. In this game a ashdar faction joined me. After some further playing i have started a new game as human. And now i have as a starting vessel a Ashdar Heavy Cruiser instead of a Human Heavy Cruiser.

A screenshot is attached.

Is this some sort of easter egg or ist this a bug?

/edit: I played the current dev build r38517.
Attachments
hc human.jpg
hc human.jpg (506.44 KiB) Viewed 20887 times

Arioch

Re: Human start with Ashdar Heavy Cruiser

Postby Arioch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Looks like a bug of some kind.

If you could upload a log of the game in which this happened (in Options menu, click "Upload Game Logs" and then post the resulting save name here so we know which one it is), it would help us to reproduce the issue.

Jeff Clay

Postby Jeff Clay » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Naturly i didn't save this game... But i was able to recreate the situation. I have load an older save game. The Ashdar Imperial 2 faction joined me. After that i have started a new game and there is the Ashdar Heavy Cruiser.

Savegame name is game_8423.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks!

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Jeff Clay wrote:Naturly i didn't save this game... But i was able to recreate the situation. I have load an older save game. The Ashdar Imperial 2 faction joined me. After that i have started a new game and there is the Ashdar Heavy Cruiser.

So I haven't actually been able to replicate this bug on my own machine -- but that said, I think I know why it's happening. I've pushed an attempted fix in r38524. If anyone notices behaviors like this one in recent builds (anything >= 38524), please let us know.

Jeff Clay

Postby Jeff Clay » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello Sven,

i think this is related to this bug. In my last game the Phidid joined my empire. After saving the game and start a new one as Human i still able to build Phidi ships.

I've uploaded booth games. game_8462 ist the new game from with this screenshot is. game_8463 ist the game i played bevore and the Phihi joined. The Game is on the latest dev version.
Attachments
phidi.jpg
phidi.jpg (444.59 KiB) Viewed 20773 times

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 pm

This may seem an unrelated tangent, but bear with me.

In another thread, I've been toying with the happiness mechanic. It's also abundantly clear I'm not a... "talented" lua programmer. I had to ask about how to reset the core .lua files because apparently I changed something in the core coin_production lua file when I made a change in RaceIssues that was wrong and crashed the game.

The thing is, I then opened the coin production file, but did not save when I closed it.

And, when I restored the original files, the Steam client said it restored eight files.

Jeff, if you are playing through Steam, can you run Steam's file validation and let us know how many files it restores, and if the phidi ships in the build menu go away?

Arioch, is there a way to see if the game's executable is not treating the lua files as read-only?

Jeff Clay

Postby Jeff Clay » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Jeff, if you are playing through Steam, can you run Steam's file validation and let us know how many files it restores, and if the phidi ships in the build menu go away?

Steam haden't found a corrupted file.

I was only able to reproduce this when i play the humans in both games. When i start with another race it is okay. So i am not sure if this only affects humans or any other race if you start a new game with the same race after annexing someone. I've not tested this with another race yet.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:19 pm

akkamaddi wrote:Arioch, is there a way to see if the game's executable is not treating the lua files as read-only?

Steam will try to revert any files you manually change, but as far as I'm aware, the game client does not modify lua files.

Jeff Clay

Postby Jeff Clay » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 am

So i did a little bit of playing as Ashdar Imperial and annexed the Phidi. And in a new game with the Imperial it is possible to build Phidi Ships.
Attachments
ashdar.jpg
ashdar.jpg (409.96 KiB) Viewed 20757 times

AMX

Postby AMX » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am

I think I just ran into a version of this bug with the Teros, in r38529.
Looks like it only happens after loading a game where I annexed some neighbors - if I start SiS and immediately start a new game, I only have my own ships available.
But if I load the old save first, then back out to the main menu and start a new game, I have Yoral and Tinker designs available as well.

Jeff Clay

Postby Jeff Clay » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 am

Under the current build r38537 it works right. Annexed as human the Phidi and in a new human game there are only human hulls to build available. Thanks.

AMX

Postby AMX » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:52 pm

I noticed another strange behaviour - apparently different hulls with the same default name share build progress as if they were the same hull.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:42 pm

AMX wrote:I noticed another strange behaviour - apparently different hulls with the same default name share build progress as if they were the same hull.

That's intended. If you're working on an Ashdar scout, for example, and you want to switch it to a light cruiser, you get credit for the work done one the scout, because it's the same base hull.

AMX

Postby AMX » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Arioch wrote:
AMX wrote:I noticed another strange behaviour - apparently different hulls with the same default name share build progress as if they were the same hull.

That's intended. If you're working on an Ashdar scout, for example, and you want to switch it to a light cruiser, you get credit for the work done one the scout, because it's the same base hull.

I'm aware of that, that's what I meant with "the same hull."

The problem is that working on a Gremak Battlecruiser gives me progress on the Ashdar Battlecruiser.
Same with the destroyers.

Return to “General Forum”