Beam, Mass and Missiles

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Shastar2005

Beam, Mass and Missiles

Postby Shastar2005 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi,

i wonder what weapons are good for different enemies. :?:

As i see, space harpies are best wiped out with missiles while beam weapon are really usless against them.

So, usually, in other games, laser/beam weapons are good for punch through armor, while mass drivers do more damage to hull or shields and missiles mostly ingnore shields and do direct damage to armor and hull.

Missiles seems to be overpowered, even if they need ammunition.

What i really missed is a guide (or ingame hints) that tells what technologie is good vs shields, armor or hull.

Exists a guide about it anywhere?

Greetings
"Get off my land."

evil713

Re: Beam, Mass and Missiles

Postby evil713 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 am

To my knowledge there is no simple rock/paper/scissors style method of answering this.

Weapons are more geared towards their personal effects, and usually these effects are either ignoring something or increasing there own damage over all.

That being said there are some issues with mods, usually around the lack of them in the higher tech levels, lasers and turbolasers getting the most.

But towards your question on what is best for what thing, and again the answer is pointed more towards negation.

If shields are your problem, use the mass line of weapons, they come standard with shield piercing in some degree or another, and can benefit from the long range mod.

If armor is your problem, there is a modification you can unlock for lasers and turbolasers that allow you to pierce armor.

if both is your problem then your answer is generally just use stronger weapons. Use of starfighters is generally the way to go, and a lot of them. Use of ammo based weapons like fighters and missiles benefits the Tinkers the most, with there tinker forge making new ammo during the fight. Otherwise just play to your races strengths.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:43 am

There is no guide I am aware of but also not needed :)

Agree with the above: there is no clear counter mechanic here just small modifiers. All weapons (except for Ion weapons and energy torps) are usefull in most cases and the loadout is usually not determined by the enemy faced but rather on:
1. What faction you are playing (and which ships you find visually pleasing :))
2. What tech bonus have been aquired during the current game

The faction played is bar far the most determening factor. In some cases the ideal loadout is more-or-less obvious like in case of Tinkers, but even in their case one can still play aroun with proportions of rocket, torpedo, Leech, EMP and Plasma Torp

In most other cases though, even within a given faction, one can choose 2-3 preffered tactics by utilizing the appropriate layouts (a good thing)
e.g.: Phidi can choose to concentrate on missile/torpedo spamming, carriers and boarding just based on their own designs but when they start buying mercs, they can practically go with whatever they want.

As always, Humans get the most limitations here as well as energy weapons tend to need a lot of modifiers to become competitive (except for ion weapons as they lack most of thes modifiers) but once they are, they are just as valid a choice like the others

Generally I find the best approach is to build a balanced fleet with 1-2 dominant types of weapons + everythign else I can equip on my favorites types of ships. Refit is expensive (or time consuming) and one cannot ract to other loadouts anyhow (that would also require research investment)

Shastar2005

Postby Shastar2005 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for the answers. :D
That will help in future games, but i dont play with any mods.
Most problems i really got with the force shields, that every other race uses soon or later, and beam weapons are useless against them.
The leech missles are very effective but if the enemy got lots of PD, u need mass of them or other cheaper missles and a good timing. Also the shields reloading very fast you have to pump in all you got once the shields are down for a second.

And for the harpies, well missles will do it. :P

Cheers
"Get off my land."

evil713

Postby evil713 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:42 am

Sorry just to clarify, when we say mods, we mean in game researched weapon modifcations that can be toggled on weapons, not external software brought in for game flavor.

If you are in fact not playing with any weapon mods and just taking the weapons as is, Damn that is hard mode+ right there.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:56 am

Yeah, the weapon mods are a) not extended deep enough into the tech tree and b) not very intuitive in the AI. Hopefully we'll get a chance to remedy that in the future.

Shastar2005

Postby Shastar2005 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Okay, you confused me.

So always if i buy a game, i play it vanilla. External Mods i add usually later in flollowing game sessions, when i have 2-3 runs in the game enjoying the pure feeling. For Stellaris e.g. i used to add minor mods, cosmetics, to improve the UI or diplomatic changes. (I did a tiny mod for myself thats adds more ground combat units and research option /but this was for the old stellaris)

I am still not sure i want to explore what SiS Mods out there. I like the game how it appears yet.

For the matter of ingame research of better weapon techs, sure i do this. Thats part of the game :D
But i am not sure what you mean with "toggle on weapons". Did i miss something important ingame? :?
"Get off my land."

AMX

Postby AMX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Shastar2005 wrote:But i am not sure what you mean with "toggle on weapons". Did i miss something important ingame? :?

Let me try posting a screenshot...

See how it says "Mods:" below each weapon that's been added to the ship?
Clicking on the abbreviations there toggles the respective mod on or off.
Attachments
20190803170529_1.jpg
20190803170529_1.jpg (286 KiB) Viewed 20491 times

Shastar2005

Postby Shastar2005 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:07 am

:shock:

Uuuuuuuhm.... oh my godness. I see those abbreviations, but never had a clue that they can be "clicked".*
I thank you very much. So i can answer you know, yes, i played without weapon mods since now. :D

Well, i really like games, where i have to find out things by myself, kind of oldschool.. but this...
again, thank you very much. My next game will be a completly new experience. :lol:

*Maybe i repeat me, but why the hell there is no manual?!
"Get off my land."

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 am

Shastar2005 wrote:*Maybe i repeat me, but why the hell there is no manual?!

At the main game screen, on the right in the "News Updates" section, you will see a link to the manual. (It may better to make it in larger text.)

The link goes to the PDF manual online, but I think there is also a copy of the PDF in the game folder somewhere.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam ... 1-2017.pdf

evil713

Postby evil713 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 am

You have been missing out on a wee bit of firepower, accuracy and range. Congrats that we got this all cleared up.

AMX

Postby AMX » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 am

Ironically enough this detail is missing from the manual.
(It's also missing what the "Hardpoints" dropdown does - it auto-fills all slots using one of three presets; when you use the Refit option from a planets production menu it also lists all designs you have saved for that hull type.)

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50 am

AMX wrote:(It's also missing what the "Hardpoints" dropdown does - it auto-fills all slots using one of three presets; when you use the Refit option from a planets production menu it also lists all designs you have saved for that hull type.)

Yeah, that caused me trouble as I completely ignored it, thinking it was to filter the hardpoint slots on the hull, and not finding that option very useful. I still think a dropdown on the central window, opposite the checkmark, would be more intuitive for that.

Shastar2005

Postby Shastar2005 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks again for your explanation.
I wondered why there are all these reactor researches, bc i never needed a hightech reactor before. Now this makes sense, all these modifications needs much more energy. :)
"Get off my land."

Return to “General Forum”