Steam install issue

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
gaerzi

Steam install issue

Postby gaerzi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Hello,

I'm running into a weird problem I've never had with any other game before. Yesterday I took advantage of the Steam sale to get this game and its expansion. The installation was very lengthy, as Steam seemed to be intent on making me relive the glory days of 56k modems, no matter how many times I looked into the parameters to check that speed was uncapped. But once it was finished, things got weird: it told me the game had to be updated (which didn't make sense, it was just downloaded). And the update was the same size as the original installation, 2.7 gb. Giving in, I let it do it, which was again slow enough that I just left my computer do it overnight. This morning, the loop had apparently reset: download was finished, but the game needed to be updated, again, with another new 2.7 gb download, which again was down at less than 300 kb/s. Anyway, with this third update downloaded, it now wants a fourth.

At no point was I able to play. When I do try to start the game, I get a popup box about the game being launched when the update has finished downloading. After it had finished downloading one of these ghost updates, I did try switching Steam to offline mode and starting the game this way, it just resulted in an error message.

I figure the best I can do is uninstall the game and try again in a few days, or perhaps hope that the game appears on GOG Connect.

Arioch

Re: Steam install issue

Postby Arioch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:38 pm

I haven't heard of this specific problem before, but I have encountered some very strange and frustrating issues with Steam from time to time.

Clearly something is wrong with the installer here, but I'm not sure what that might be. Perhaps the file manifest is somehow corrupted.

The first thing I would try is to uninstall and reinstall. The next thing I would try is to run a "Verify integrity of game files" from the Properties, though if it doesn't think it's properly installed, that may not even be an option.

The game is currently available on GOG.

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:49 am

After uninstalling the game, erasing the files, quitting the Steam client and restarting it, then downloading again, it finally worked. :)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 pm

gaerzi wrote:After uninstalling the game, erasing the files, quitting the Steam client and restarting it, then downloading again, it finally worked. :)

Glad to hear it.

Return to “General Forum”