dedicated shield hardpoint

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
siyoa

dedicated shield hardpoint

Postby siyoa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:25 am

if anyone wants to play around with it, shields can only go to dedicated new hardpoint, it is not fully tested, please report any issues ... also, it may not work from Mods folder, you may need to replace files in Lua state

add ShieldSlot, for ships in Drawers\Ships in the section where other slots/hardpoints are generated for particular ship ... as per example (you can add more than one)

Code: Select all

create_config 'Destroyer' {
  --component_set= 'extra_turret_mount',

create_mounts = {
    Hardpoint "Turret" {
      part_id = 1,
    },
    Hardpoint "Turret" {
      part_id = 2,
      hints = { ["Exploration Vessel"] = "Deep Space Scanner" }
    },
    SystemSlot,
    SystemSlot,
    SystemSlot {
      hints = { ["Exploration Vessel"] = "Warp Lane Amplifier" }
    },
    ArmorSlot,
   ShieldSlot,
  }

}
Attachments
Shield Hardpoint.7z
(12.31 KiB) Downloaded 936 times
new_shield_hardpoint_02.jpg
new_shield_hardpoint_02.jpg (186.88 KiB) Viewed 17975 times
How did YOU get a key? All right, go in.

GrosseAdmiralFox

Re: dedicated shield hardpoint

Postby GrosseAdmiralFox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 pm

I'll keep an eye on it. Looks interesting...

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:12 pm

I assume you are trying to address the steep shield capacity rampup for larger hulls right?

Have you aleady tried to decrease standardise the capacity each shield module provides for all hulls?
The more I think abouth this, the more it makes sense as weapon module damage values do not ramp up with hull size + there is a constant increase of system hardpoints with each hull size wackking up the balance

The only problem would be of course the AI: it would probably not recognise the altered values and still stack shields on all system hardpoints instead of repair or hardend armor modules... in this regard dedicated shield harpoints are better, but they also take away the choice a player can make for the design

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:03 pm

I am expanding on this idea (adding more dedicated slots), to make Dyson Swarms work the way I envision

I always felt that 2 space station slots per planet are quite limiting, also the fact that Star Base cannot be upgraded to Fleet Base without scrapping it first felt quite awkward as well

I like to look at 2 orbital slots per planet as 2 locations, or 2 orbital planes, that can grow over time and as technology advances ... sure, at the dawn of a civilization there is maybe simple space station and later a bit more advanced shipyard, but as technology advances something similar to dyson swarm can be born, orbital structures that can support each other in terms of energy delivery for its modules, providing habitat, growing some food, and so on

this is where I want Fleet Bases to go, during combat they would represent the section of the swarm that is in practical distance to participate (from that point of view they still be just a base with some hangars and few weapon hardpoints), but as civilian structures they will grow and adapt as technology advances providing more and more Dyson slots (and probably some military related slots, denser the swarm, more weapons are closer to combat location to be able to participate) for different modules to support the planet and empire, so you can keep refitting them by filling those new unlocked slots ... rather than introducing bigger and bigger bases that have to be built from scratch while the old ones are scrapped
Attachments
dedicated_hardpoints_01.JPG
dedicated_hardpoints_01.JPG (211.24 KiB) Viewed 15719 times
How did YOU get a key? All right, go in.

Return to “Modding”