Suggestion: Moving production/population and moving orbital installations

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
fonzosh

Suggestion: Moving production/population and moving orbital installations

Postby fonzosh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:12 am

So, I have several suggestions that I have been thinking about that would improve the gaming experience.

1. Moving production: Within the same star system, the planets may lend their production to their neighbours (with a small loss of say 25%). This to symbolize what the industry today call outsorcing and letting another planet take care of making the small part for example the death star. The loss in production is because of the transport cost. With this implemented you can really build production clusters and the smaller planets could help the big planet in a star system.

2. Moving population: The ability tototally empty a planet of population, either a certain type or everyone. This way you can make a certian planet only having one species or even be implemented as some sort of scorched earth tactic if you allow for blowing all the buildings. To use it as a bridge, the AI has to recolonize the planet.

3. Moving orbital installations: Why not let orbital installations be moved within a star system. This could even be a tech in the tech tree (Call it: Empowered Tugboats) This way you can let a production strong planet that newly settled a smal neighbour instantly allow the small neighbour to have a an orbital installition. To not make this tech to powerful, allow a transport period of 1 round per "distance" within the star system.

So, what do you all think?

zolobolo

Re: Suggestion: Moving production/population and moving orbital installations

Postby zolobolo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am

Have seen transferable production in the latest MoO game so I guess it was a staple of the series - made sense there but here I never needed it so far due to the many useful things production can be used, and due to the metal constraint being the limiting factor of production not the production capacity of a planet itself

Agreed, moving pop options are always welcome. I really enjoy this aspect of the game a lot even if the AI has not yet come around to using it. If you would like to check out a useful mod for planet pops, check out this one from siyoa:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=533

Interesting idea with moving orbital constructions.
Where I see a useful benefit for it are Asteroid bases. These are very limited currently to a point where they are practically useless, but this way they could serve as mobile fighter/Bomber bays for all planets within the system where a planet has asteroid belts

There is also the tech of mobile bases available to Tinkers if you haven't tried them out yet - also a cool mechanic - maybe their tech could be captured and reverse-engineered to get mobile bases limited within a system...

fonzosh

Re: Suggestion: Moving production/population and moving orbital installations

Postby fonzosh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 am

zolobolo wrote:Have seen transferable production in the latest MoO game so I guess it was a staple of the series - made sense there but here I never needed it so far due to the many useful things production can be used, and due to the metal constraint being the limiting factor of production not the production capacity of a planet itself

Agreed, moving pop options are always welcome. I really enjoy this aspect of the game a lot even if the AI has not yet come around to using it. If you would like to check out a useful mod for planet pops, check out this one from siyoa:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=533

Interesting idea with moving orbital constructions.
Where I see a useful benefit for it are Asteroid bases. These are very limited currently to a point where they are practically useless, but this way they could serve as mobile fighter/Bomber bays for all planets within the system where a planet has asteroid belts

There is also the tech of mobile bases available to Tinkers if you haven't tried them out yet - also a cool mechanic - maybe their tech could be captured and reverse-engineered to get mobile bases limited within a system...

I taking that consensus is that these suggestions should be moved to the suggestion section, which I do now. Just wanted to hear what you say about it.

Return to “General Forum”