Bug Report Archive

Threads and posts that have become outdated are preserved here.

Moderator: luciderous

sven
Site Admin

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby sven » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Gyrfalcon wrote:game_96 looked to be that I'd sent bombers out to a ship that was close to dead and maybe they did more damage than the ship had hit points.

huh. i thought i'd fixed that bug. but, apparently not. it should now be patched on stable (r12121).

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just that I'm confused by the interface, but it looks like, even though I am already refitting my only Star Base, I can Refit it again. If the intention is to let me change the way I want it refitted, I think it would be clearer to say Change Refit: Star Base. Also, why do ships say Refit: <ship name> but orbital structures just list <ship name>?
Refit again.jpg
Refit again.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 16965 times
Summer grasses
all that remains of great soldiers'
imperial dreams - Basho

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Gyrfalcon wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug or just that I'm confused by the interface, but it looks like, even though I am already refitting my only Star Base, I can Refit it again. If the intention is to let me change the way I want it refitted, I think it would be clearer to say Change Refit: Star Base. Also, why do ships say Refit: <ship name> but orbital structures just list <ship name>?
Refit again.jpg

I suspect it's a bug. Orbital stations, like planetary defenses, have some quirks when it comes to just how they handle equipment refits; and it appears there are still, at the very least, some UI issues that need ironing out here.

The current core mechanics around station refits is that unlike ships, which disappear from the main map while undergoing refits, station refits occur "in place". So, your station will still remain in orbit of your planet while it's being upgraded -- and, if you switch production, pausing the refit, you'll still continue to get any benefits associated which having that station (like, for example, the ability to produce larger hulls.)

You appear to have discovered a few glitches with station refit UI -- for example, as you say, the "Choose Refit" option for a station should really say either "Refit: " or "Change Refit: ". But, the core 'upgrade in place' mechanic is also something that we could probably be doing a better job of explaining to players through the UIs. Showing a some text over stations that are undergoing active refits that says something like "refitting" might be helpful.

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Having the base with scaffolding over part of it would communicate that in addition to it saying "Undergoing Refit", although I'm not sure what Arioch would think of making a second complete set of art for the bases. The other question is why ships that I've flagged for refit, but aren't actually being worked on, disappear. Shouldn't they stay in orbit until their turn at the shipyard comes up?
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Gyrfalcon wrote:Having the base with scaffolding over part of it would communicate that in addition to it saying "Undergoing Refit", although I'm not sure what Arioch would think of making a second complete set of art for the bases.

Yeah, I generally am a fan adding cool additions to the art in order communicate more things about the world. But, the "skinning" feature at the top of my own priority list is damage overlays. Refit / active repair hints of some sort would be cool as well, but, given the current game mechanics, I don't see as big a need for them.

The other question is why ships that I've flagged for refit, but aren't actually being worked on, disappear. Shouldn't they stay in orbit until their turn at the shipyard comes up?

The idea is that as soon as you queue up the repair command, the ship is moved into a "dry-dock" of some sort, and becomes unavailable for combat/strategic motion.

In future, we're planning to add a coin-based mechanic that lets you upgrade ships without taking them off the strategic map -- and that should cut down on the awkwardness of upgrading a large fleet.

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:06 am

I've been consistently seeing things like this:
Still Shooting.jpg
Still Shooting.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 17221 times
I destroyed the last pirate with this ship, but it still seems to have full weapons and, in practice, it does seem to let me use the weapon again. It looks like, if the initial target dies before I use up all of the weapon, that it lets me use the weapon again. I'd think that, if I fire it and the ship blows up, I'd have wasted the shot(s).
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:54 am

game_98 was me clicking the move button on a Transport and then hitting the Start Trading button.

EDIT: To reproduce - find a Transport, click the ?, click the rocketship, click Start Trading.
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 am

game_99 is to give some examples of some odd behavior from the Planetary Report. For the most part, when you click on a planet in the Report, the planets displayed at the bottom are the system where the colony is. However, sometimes, it isn't.
Wrong Planet.jpg
Wrong Planet.jpg (210.27 KiB) Viewed 17217 times
In this case, I'd clicked on Ashdar Prime, and the system at the bottom is Spica. Likewise, Clicking Procyon II puts Acrux in the lower pane, although clicking Procyon III will get Procyon in the lower pane. Also, Kisk, which is in the Gienah system with Ashdar Prime, doesn't show up in the Planetary Report at all.
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:10 am

Gyrfalcon wrote:EDIT: To reproduce - find a Transport, click the ?, click the rocketship, click Start Trading.

Thanks for the report. I've posted a quick "hotfix" for this one on stable (you're not the only one who's run into this bug in the last few hours). The hotfix should deal with the more glaring crashes, and, a more complete fix should be on the way tomorrow.

Code: Select all

error : uninitialized reference: all_fleets[113]:
 Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\@FleetShips.lua:164:
  Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\@MapElement.lua:504:

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:43 am

Gyrfalcon wrote:Likewise, Clicking Procyon II puts Acrux in the lower pane, although clicking Procyon III will get Procyon in the lower pane.

I haven't been able to replicate this behavior using game_99 -- if you restart and reload this save, does it still occur for you?

Gyrfalcon wrote:Also, Kisk, which is in the Gienah system with Ashdar Prime, doesn't show up in the Planetary Report at all.

Hrm, again, I'm having trouble replicating this one... Let me know if it still happens after a restart (note that the planets are sorted by population size, not alphabetically, so Kisk is nowhere near Ashdar Prime in the list.)

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:39 am

When I load it again, Kisk is there in the 4s where it should be and Ashdar Prime brings up the Gienah system as it should. I'd been playing for a few hours at the time, if that makes any difference. Gienah was captured, but I'm pretty sure Procyon was one I colonized, although it probably had pirates. I probably terraformed Procyon II, but didn't terraform either of the planets in the Gienah system.
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

Dinkelsen

Postby Dinkelsen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:35 am

With yesterdays dev build (oh, I remember, I was on dev...) it was not possible to send a transport to the trade pool. I uploaded the error. I tried it with Ashdar Colonials and Ashdar Imperials before building an empire with very little cash on hand - its possible...

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm

game_120 is with a new game where I was retrofitting my initial Scout with a defense laser so I could sent it out exploring. Retrofitting should have finished at the end of the previous turn, but then I got this error and it looks kind of like the retrofit progress has been reset, but I also get a hang when I go to look at the production screen.
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Gyrfalcon wrote:game_120 is with a new game where I was retrofitting my initial Scout with a defense laser so I could sent it out exploring. Retrofitting should have finished at the end of the previous turn, but then I got this error and it looks kind of like the retrofit progress has been reset, but I also get a hang when I go to look at the production screen.

opps. patched in r12162 (and now posted to stable). thanks for the report.

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:57 am

game_124 happened when I went to drop the Gaian centaurs onto my home-world with the intention of, basically, killing them off, since Orthin already get 1 test tube per population. I picked them up fine but, when I clicked to drop them on Bacabs, I get this error.
Summer grasses
imperial dreams - Basho

Return to “Archives”