Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zolobolo

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Noticed that there is no "Normal" fertility planets, only High and Low
Not sure if this is intended though or the Galaxy generation logic is buggy - if you I wouldn't like to see any effective change on he whole food production system as I find it to be in a very good place right now: food is as important a resource as metal and money (influence not much :))

If this is in fact a bug, please consider resolving it only if it does not result in overall larger number of food income: quite difficult as on Low pops do not produce food at all, and currently most planets are of Low fertility...

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Found a good test case for AI not taking its chances on an attack when the opportunity presents itself (such behaviour has been reported in the Thread regarding the AI being afraid of Human Light cruiser)

Scenario is this:
At system: Acamar I have attacked the Tinker fleet with my Gremak fleet and lost the battle
Now my fleet only has 3 damaged ships remaining
Tinker fleet is powerful enough to take on my fleet as well as both of my planets (they only have 1 bomber and fighter squadron per planet)
Note: Tinker fleet has been ordered there to defend their planets but I took them while they were underway - maybe this is the reason why they have been issued new orders?

Chances are they could bombard both planets - it would make sense of course to try and occupy then as well in time, but in the next turn they fly off.
Maybe I am wrong and they will be doing something more useful going forward but this seems like a large missed opportunity as the Tinkers have already lost 4 planets to me at this point and my fleet is more powerful. If they do not stand a chance of recapturing the planets, they should maybe bomb them at least to eliminate my resource gain from them and then push to other planets

Maybe I am wrong on this and is better to conserve its forces if it cannot capture the planet but see for yourself

Save is uploaded here (file to large for direct upload):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqmsp15m4n53o ... r.rar?dl=0

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Phidi Troopship contains Cargo Pods instead of Armor Brigade
There is also a Transport variant with the same design thus the same design is listed twice due to this

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Uploaded a save demonstrating another scenario where the enemy AI does not attack where all parameters seem to be optimal for it.

Orthin have declarer war on my Phidi (after we have lost the whole fleet to clearing out Space Harpies) and sent 4 Heavy Cruisers to System: Philosir
So far so good

Upon arriving, the 4 Destroyers do not attack though they would win the battle and not planetary defenses are in place
They also leave right afterwards though they could blockage the system starving out both planets and despite the fact that they have also sent at least two troop transports to the system

The above scenario seems to be typical.
If resolved, the AI actually has a chance to win the war :)!

They have re-declared war right after I have "forced" peace on them which is fine I guess since they did have the upper hand though it would be better to have the pace last a while but be so expensive in such cases that only few could afford them

Marauders have also ignored the Orthin system of Alphard (presumably due to the recent change) - this seems to have had a visibly positive effect on the Orthin so far. Please consider them paying the Marauders actually money though going forward so that the reason is visible in diplomacy screen and the in-game mechanic is used (scripting around is fine for things that do not have a working mechanic but this does have one)
Attachments
Testing.rar
(493.59 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm

zolobolo wrote:Marauders have also ignored the Orthin system of Alphard (presumably due to the recent change) - this seems to have had a visibly positive effect on the Orthin so far. Please consider them paying the Marauders actually money though going forward so that the reason is visible in diplomacy screen and the in-game mechanic is used (scripting around is fine for things that do not have a working mechanic but this does have one)

This is a fair point. I was in the process of writing up a response explaining that, actually, it's not easy to reliably trigger to the dialog chains that lead to bribe payments, when I realized that, /actually/, I can ignore the dialog trees in the case of an AI/marauder encounter, as they won't show up for anyone anyhow. As of r21730, Marauder/AI relations should now, theoretically, be reliably peaceful; but, they should also be relatively 'real' relations, rather than a crude kludge that just sortof makes the AI invisible to the Marauders.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 pm

sven wrote:
zolobolo wrote:Marauders have also ignored the Orthin system of Alphard (presumably due to the recent change) - this seems to have had a visibly positive effect on the Orthin so far. Please consider them paying the Marauders actually money though going forward so that the reason is visible in diplomacy screen and the in-game mechanic is used (scripting around is fine for things that do not have a working mechanic but this does have one)

This is a fair point. I was in the process of writing up a response explaining that, actually, it's not easy to reliably trigger to the dialog chains that lead to bribe payments, when I realized that, /actually/, I can ignore the dialog trees in the case of an AI/marauder encounter, as they won't show up for anyone anyhow. As of r21730, Marauder/AI relations should now, theoretically, be reliably peaceful; but, they should also be relatively 'real' relations, rather than a crude kludge that just sortof makes the AI invisible to the Marauders.

I see

Would it be doable to trigger a simplified chain for the event instead?:
When fleet arrives: check how much money the AI has: If it has enough funds, the "bribe" can be detracted and listed for the Marauder Diplomacy screen: Empire XY has paid tribute (the player now knows that they have been paid off)
If not enough funds are available, Marauders default to attack

In case of the player, the Marauders seem to "remember" having received payment and not attack after that which makes this a no-brainer investment.
To make things fair, the player should also always be prompted to pay up when fleet arrives...

If you want to make the whole mechanic dynamic from hereon, the bribe could be made to include a global variable which increases with each payment weather it comes from AI or from player. This would make Marauders a real threat for the player as well and a ticking time bomb as each time one side pays them off, the next guy needs to pay even more ;) To make this transparent of course, the next expected value of the bribe needs to be displayed on the diplomacy screen so the player can plan ahead and play around with the mechanic

PS: I do believe that Maraduers need to occasionally attack someone for them as a concept to make sense, else who is going to drive the slave market? :)
It needs to be less of a burden to the AI though and while more dangerous to the player, it still needs to be avoidable with careful planning - it think the above would accomplish that

PS PS: The above would also mean that Marauders would always have a hostile stance against everyone - the decision to attack would always be made on the stop when they arrive, but even when paid off, they would still have a hostile stance against the faction
Last edited by zolobolo on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 am

Current version has sounds disabled with no option to re-enable in the options menu.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 am

nweismuller wrote:Current version has sounds disabled with no option to re-enable in the options menu.

This is the intended behavior in the case that the computer you've installed the game on doesn't have a sound card setup (or enabled). Can you confirm that other sounds are playing properly on this machine?

Assuming you do in fact have a sound card... this is almost certainly an FMOD initialization bug. I'd try restarting, and see if that helps.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:46 pm

I do have a sound card, but the latest build just fixed the lack of sound issue. I have no clue what happened there.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:37 pm

Sometimes a reboot is needed between versions for sound to work. Has happened to me 2 times that was so far.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 pm

Chasm wrote:Sometimes a reboot is needed between versions for sound to work. Has happened to me 2 times that was so far.

I didn't even reboot. It was a strange thing.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 am

AI sending Outpost Transport to system where Super Dread is waiting for it - see screenshot
It seems that the danger should be visible for the AI as it has a colony nearby.
The transport gets destroyed in the next turn - seems to be not retreating but engaging the threat

Also: AI Outpost Transport!!! :)
Attachments
Wrong_Decision.JPG
Wrong_Decision.JPG (24.05 KiB) Viewed 14033 times

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am

When hovering over the Trade Pool status icon, one of the lines reads:
"Access to foreign markets increases trade income by 30 Coin!"

This is probably left over from a previous incarnation of the mechanic as I do not see this being active.
When signing a trade charter with another empire, the pool increases and more ships can trade, but there does not seem to be a flat income increase
I think this makes sense, as a flat income is problematic and dynamic trade pool increase sounds more logical - if the text is no longer relevant it just needs to be removed

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:56 am

Color scheme for Mercenaries bought from Marauders does not change in the fleet management screen - see attached

The color scheme of Phidi is correctly displayed on the strategic map

When entering combat with the merc ship, the color is still that of the Marauders
Attachments
Color_Pattern.JPG
Color_Pattern.JPG (36 KiB) Viewed 14040 times

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Teros do not colonize a close planet in system: Aurelon of type: Ocean

Might be due to the new hostile world mechanic?
Distance wise seems close, enough to their home-world, they have several Colony ships and have established outposts around this system

Save has been attached
Attachments
Phidi Save.rar
(411.45 KiB) Downloaded 389 times

Return to “Testing”