[Crash] Crashes building Tinker's Juggernaut

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
nathanebht

Re: [Crash] Crashes building Tinker's Juggernaut

Postby nathanebht » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 am

Shared a 64bit exe crash dump file with that gmail account.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:27 am

nathanebht wrote:Shared a 64bit exe crash dump file with that gmail account.

I've got it, many thanks. According to that dump file, the crash is happening inside the text rendering subsystem, when it tried to update the project complete text for Bied II. Why this is happening still confuses me; but, it's certainly a lead.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:37 am

Ok, I'm starting to theorize that the crash might be in some way connected to the specific resolution that you're running the game at. I assume you've been running at 2560 x 1600? Would you try switching the game into windowed mode, and let me know if the crash still occurs?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 am

Aha! I believe I've tracked down the bug. (Apparently, the character 'bold-J' has some unusual quirks when rendered at a high resolution). If you restart Steam, it should download a new version of the hotfix_testing BETA build (assuming you're still opted in). Please let me know if that patch fixes the bug.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 am

Dynaphar wrote:I also have an issue with the Tinker's Juggernaut specifically.

I can design one without problems, I can build one, so far no issues.
But when construction is finished and I select a Juggernaut hovering next to my planet, I get an instant crash.

I would bet this is another version of the high-res text-rendering problem encountered by nathanebht. If I'm right about the cause, you should be able to fix it by opting into the hotfix_testing BETA branch (as described earlier in this thread). Please let me know if the fix appears to work for you.

Dynaphar

Postby Dynaphar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:35 am

sven wrote:Dump files will often get considerably smaller if you zip them; but it will still be a very large file (500mb+). The easiest way to transfer such large files is usually with a third-party cloud storage app, like dropbox. But, I'll private message you a link that might also work as a direct-upload option.

I've uploaded the file with the link you sent. Can you confirm if it worked or not?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 am

Dynaphar wrote:I've uploaded the file with the link you sent. Can you confirm if it worked or not?

Yup, I got it, many thanks. Did you have any luck with the hotfix_testing BETA branch? (From the dump file, it looks like the two of you are indeed effected by different versions of the same issue, so I would bet the hotfix will fix your crashes as well.)

Dynaphar

Postby Dynaphar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:49 am

sven wrote:I would bet this is another version of the high-res text-rendering problem encountered by nathanebht. If I'm right about the cause, you should be able to fix it by opting into the hotfix_testing BETA branch (as described earlier in this thread). Please let me know if the fix appears to work for you.

I was able to apply the hotfix, 40.6MB download.
This seems to have corrected the issue, I can now select the Juggernaut and send it to another planet.

I don't know what resolution the game runs at, don't see it under options, but my native Windows resolution is 3840x2160.

Dynaphar

Postby Dynaphar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:54 am

sven wrote:
Dynaphar wrote:I've uploaded the file with the link you sent. Can you confirm if it worked or not?

Yup, I got it, many thanks. Did you have any luck with the hotfix_testing BETA branch? (From the dump file, it looks like the two of you are indeed effected by different versions of the same issue, so I would bet the hotfix will fix your crashes as well.)

At first glance it fixed the crashing issue.
I will test more extensively when I get home from work tonight, doing this during breakfast right now.
We live in very different timezones. :)

Though i still get this message at the game menu.
Error message.jpg
Error message.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 21967 times

Maybe i should have mentioned this before, but I was focussed on my game breaking issue first. :)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Dynaphar wrote:Though i still get this message at the game menu.

Many thanks for this screenshot. I've seen a spike in error reports similar to this one, but, without a sense of where it was happening, it was a hard one to figure out. (It's looking like the news post has just gotten too long to fit in a single texture). I've just updated the hotfix_testing branch to have a shorter news post; please let me know if that change resolves the issue for you.

Dynaphar

Postby Dynaphar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:17 pm

sven wrote:Many thanks for this screenshot. I've seen a spike in error reports similar to this one, but, without a sense of where it was happening, it was a hard one to figure out. (It's looking like the news post has just gotten too long to fit in a single texture). I've just updated the hotfix_testing branch to have a shorter news post; please let me know if that change resolves the issue for you.

95KB download.
The error is gone and i can see news posts again.
I will test the Juggernaut now to see if more problems occur.

Dynaphar

Postby Dynaphar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Dynaphar wrote:I will test the Juggernaut now to see if more problems occur.

Designing, building, moving, combat, all seems to work now as intended.
No more crashes or unexpected behavior.

Thank you kindly sir. *Tips hat*

Dynaphar

Postby Dynaphar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:27 pm

While I'm busy reporting.. :)
When in the tree view of the tech tree, hovering over "Tachyon Physics", under effects it says "Increased scan ran".
Though the word "range" is written in full in other places in the tree.

nathanebht

Postby nathanebht » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Juggernaut crashes seem fixed. Could queue, build, get info on it and take one into battle.

Return to “Testing”