Two Things I'd Kill For

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
DDPD

Two Things I'd Kill For

Postby DDPD » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:00 pm

First, I would absolutely kill for the option to RIGHT CLICK to close menus. Many games do this now and having to click the "X" for every menu feels clunky. Can I mod this or something? It kills me.

Second, for the sake of change, I'd love a rotation of galaxy map colors/designs/looks. See Endless Space 2 for example. Just some variety would go a long way, as it's boring to look at the same background every game. Please consider it.

sven
Site Admin

Re: Two Things I'd Kill For

Postby sven » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:47 pm

DDPD wrote:First, I would absolutely kill for the option to RIGHT CLICK to close menus. Many games do this now and having to click the "X" for every menu feels clunky. Can I mod this or something? It kills me.

Because we're using right-click for other UI actions in a number of places (like Ship motion and queuing up production / research projects), this mechanic is a somewhat awkward fit with the rest of the game UIs. That said, it is possible to detect those cases in which the selected UI element *doesn't* have a defined right-click behavior, and add the right-click-close behavior in those cases.

I've spent a few minutes playing around with a simple patch that does exactly this. I'm still not sure it's a great idea, but, it doesn't yet seem to me obviously broken. So I've exposed it as an optional feature (as of r21046, there's a toggle for it in the Options pane).

If you're on Steam, you can get r21046 right now by switching to the 'hotfix_testing' BETA branch. (Those of you on the private test server will get it automagically, of course.)

Also: if anyone finds places in the game where this optional feature is interfering with other established right-click behaviors, please let me know.

DDPD

Postby DDPD » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:57 am

YUSSSSSS, thank you!! I think leaving it in as an option is great! Thank you!!!

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:29 am

So much better with this.

DDPD

Postby DDPD » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Played for an hour just now. The change is significant and MUCH MUCH better. The game flows much better now, as I'm not constantly searching out that X.

I imagine that many people will like this, as Ashberry and I do.

Second, I had a freeze for the first time in a bit. I'll send it.

Return to “Testing”