Bug: Railgun, Force Lance, Station graphics

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
rattle

Bug: Railgun, Force Lance, Station graphics

Postby rattle » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:58 am

I found something weird happening...

Railguns:
I've played Humans and unlocked Rapid Fire and Armor Piercing Lasers (after Adv. Turbolasers) as well as Railguns. The auto designer using balanced often puts two Railguns in the slots of the Human Heavy Cruisers, Assault Cruisers and Battleships. On the surface everything seems fine but in the ship stats it states the weapon got the Laser mods, that is Rapid Fire and Armor Piercing which makes the weapon way overpowered compared to anything else.
I noticed this happening quite often. I've had accurate AM Missiles (not the Anti ones), LR Hellbores and so forth... something's wrong. :D

Force Lance:
It doesn't pierce Force Fields at all which renders it useless. Haven't tried battle shields due to tech level being rather late game.

Station graphics:
Are there plans for race specific stations? I think the Ashdar ones look out of place for everyone else, especially fighters, bombers etc.

bjg

Re: Bug: Railgun, Force Lance, Station graphics

Postby bjg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 pm

rattle wrote:Force Lance:
It doesn't pierce Force Fields at all which renders it useless. Haven't tried battle shields due to tech level being rather late game.

Did see that too. Reported, got no response.

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

bjg wrote:
rattle wrote:Force Lance:

Did see that too. Reported, got no response.

Hi, it seems that this is still happening, any word from devs, please ?
How did YOU get a key? All right, go in.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Looking at the code, there may be a bug here; the Force Lance has shield_piercing_level set to 2 (normal shield piercing is 1), but it looks like the property function may be ignoring this value. I'll pass it along to Sven.

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Arioch wrote:Looking at the code, there may be a bug here; the Force Lance has shield_piercing_level set to 2 (normal shield piercing is 1), but it looks like the property function may be ignoring this value. I'll pass it along to Sven.

Thanks

that pierce level of 2 is maybe right as force field has pierce resistance of 1 and aegis has pierce resist 3, my assumption was that this is the way to make force lance to pierce through force fields, but not aegis (and hv railgun having pierce level of 1 would only pierce battle shield (pierce resist 0.5) or lower, i.e. pierce resist less than 1) ... but my knowledge of your code is worth around 15 minutes of time, i.e. I am pretty clueless :-D

what I am trying to say, the issue is maybe little deeper :-) I cannot run the game now, but if I remember correctly, "SP" as a mod was not showing on force lance during tactical battle (although it shows during ship design), hinting to force lance not having/using SP ability at all ... I never really used force lance until last night game when I run into enemy having developed force fields

great game btw, some shortcomings for sure (tech tree soooo short), but very good job

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Code: Select all

function WeaponProperty.shield_piercing_level(w)
  if not w:special 'Shield Piercing'
    return 0
  end
  return 1
end

wouldn't this set shield_pierce_level to 1 for any weapons (edit: having SP) and thus ignoring pierce level set in define_weapon for each particular weapon ?

if that is the case and I would like to implement quick fix myself for tonight's game, what should it read ? it should be something like ?

return w.shield_piercing_level

EDIT: if that is the case, it means I was seeing ghosts last night, and force lance did have SP during tactical, the pierce level just wasn't enough :lol:

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm

That's the code I'm referring to; it appears to return a value of 1 even if shield_piercing is 2. Your change may not work, because shield_piercing_level may not always be set for all weapons, and so the function may in some cases return an undetermined value.

It's not my code, it's Sven's, so I'll have to check with him to see if it's working the way it's supposed to. It might be that this function isn't even being called.

The Force Lance should be able to penetrate Force Field, but not Temporal Aegis. It's just possible that it's working as intended but that the effect is hard to see.

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Arioch wrote:That's the code I'm referring to; it appears to return a value of 1 even if shield_piercing is 2. Your change may not work, because shield_piercing may not always be set, and so the function may in some cases return an undetermined value.

It's not my code, it's Sven's, so I'll have to check with him to see if it's working the way it's supposed to.

that did cross my mind for a split second ;)

sooo

return 0
  end
  if w.shield_piercing_level>1
  else
    return 1
  end
end

EDIT: I am not fluent in LUA at all, I guess I'll try when I get home if Sven wouldn't be able to chime in

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 pm

rattle wrote:I found something weird happening...
Station graphics:
Are there plans for race specific stations? I think the Ashdar ones look out of place for everyone else, especially fighters, bombers etc.

Haven't heard any mentioning of race-specific stations yet, but being the optimist I am I sure hope so. I rationalize, that since this is "only" art, it does not require extensive work to implement from the application side - the bottleneck here might be of artistic nature. Good concept do not always come when people want them, and it is better to have less good art, then a bunch or mediocre.

Hope the artist will find its muse for the bases of other races as well

btw.: the Ashdar logo is visible on the stations for all races :)

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:58 am

it seems I do not understand LUA syntax as I cannot call the weaponproperty no matter what I try, but found very ugly hack to make it work for the time being, at least it seems it is working

added this for force lance

specials =set("Shield Piercing", "SP2"),

and changed the function to

if not w:special 'SP2'
     return 0
   else
     return 1
   end
  else
    return 2
  end
end

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 am

hey everyone, back to the game after about a year ... I was quickly checking a few things, this (shield piercing) seems to be unchanged unless it is now handled differently in the code ?

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:22 pm

siyoa wrote:it seems I do not understand LUA syntax as I cannot call the weaponproperty no matter what I try, but found very ugly hack to make it work for the time being, at least it seems it is working

Out of curiosity, what were you trying before?

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:27 am

harpy eagle wrote:Out of curiosity, what were you trying before?

return 0
  end
  if w.shield_piercing_level>1
  else
    return 1
  end
end

just tested it, it seems my "ugly hack" is still needed for Force Lance to pierce Force Fields ... bit disappointing that it wasn't fixed yet

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:19 am

Huh, I wonder if it didn't work because "shield_piercing_level" is also the name of the weapon property.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you define

function WeaponProperty.foo(w)
  --return stuff
end

Then any time you evaluate w.foo it will call the foo function to determine what value results?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 pm

siyoa wrote:just tested it, it seems my "ugly hack" is still needed for Force Lance to pierce Force Fields ... bit disappointing that it wasn't fixed yet

:( I thought I did fix this when Arioch passed on the bug report to me (ever so long ago). If you have a save game where it's not working, could you upload it for me?

Return to “General Forum”