Intel HD Graphics Crashes

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.

Moderator: luciderous

bjg
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby bjg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 pm

I have 8 gig, about 5 gig free. Trying to don't run anything extra on a background, removed (most of the) staff that came preinstalled. However, with Windows 7 it's hard to have really small number of background processes.
I've just emailed you the metadata file.
The 64 bit version starts fine (60 fps) without the SavedGames folder (surprise ;)). So it does with only one (the latest) save - 60 fps on main menu, 25 fps on the map.

User avatar
sven
Site Admin
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby sven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:23 pm

bjg wrote:The 64 bit version starts fine (60 fps) without the SavedGames folder (surprise ;)). So it does with only one (the latest) save - 60 fps on main menu, 25 fps on the map.


Interesting! So then the question becomes this: how many saved games do you have in your SavedGames folder? Could you zip up the whole directory and send it to me via some large-file sharing service? (Dropbox, etc?)

edited by sven: Actually, I probably don't even need the folder upload -- I would bet the phenomena we're seeing here is just a result of an inefficiency somewhere in the handling of large lists of save games. I can probably replicate and look for that just fine on my own, particularly if I have a sense of how many saves it takes to trigger the effect.

bjg
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby bjg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:40 pm

sven wrote:
bjg wrote:The 64 bit version starts fine (60 fps) without the SavedGames folder (surprise ;)). So it does with only one (the latest) save - 60 fps on main menu, 25 fps on the map.


Interesting! So then the question becomes this: how many saved games do you have in your SavedGames folder? Could you zip up the whole directory and send it to me via some large-file sharing service? (Dropbox, etc?)

edited by sven: Actually, I probably don't even need the folder upload -- I would bet the phenomena we're seeing here is just a result of an inefficiency somewhere in the handling of large lists of save games. I can probably replicate and look for that just fine on my own, particularly if I have a sense of how many saves it takes to trigger the effect.

There where 33 of them (some probably are old and incompatible). The size also might matter. The zip is about 95 meg - are you sure you don't want it?

User avatar
sven
Site Admin
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby sven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm

bjg wrote:There where 33 of them (some probably are old and incompatible). The size also might matter. The zip is about 95 meg - are you sure you don't want it?


Having a copy wouldn't hurt. 33 feels too low, so maybe there is something special about one or more of those saves.

bjg
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby bjg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:56 pm

sven wrote:Having a copy wouldn't hurt. 33 feels too low, so maybe there is something special about one or more of those saves.

I have (hopefully) just shared it with you on the Google Drive.
Please let me know if I haven't. ;)

User avatar
sven
Site Admin
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby sven » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 pm

bjg wrote:
sven wrote:Having a copy wouldn't hurt. 33 feels too low, so maybe there is something special about one or more of those saves.

I have (hopefully) just shared it with you on the Google Drive.
Please let me know if I haven't. ;)


It looks like I finally figured this one out: there was a bug in the clipping logic for the loading screen that was causing a lot of unnecessary rendering of invisible save data. These load screen slowdowns should be fixed as of r19333.

User avatar
Mithramuse
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Intel HD Graphics Crashes

Postby Mithramuse » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 am

Quick note -- while I'm not sure how many people are using just base laptop graphics as in this thread, I am ;) so... somewhere in the last few updates the "DBGHELP.DLL is old" bug is back (or now present) for my Intel HD Graphics 4000. It was definitely not present until recently; I didn't really play much in between the 4 Dec 2017 and 12/13 Dec 2017 updates (I think I downloaded those two together) but now the bug will crop up after a few hundred turns or so. Can't load a saved game once it happens, either.

I'm running the sis64.exe file.

EDIT, 30 Dec 2017: Apparently the shortcut in the Start menu was actually the 32-bit sis.exe, not the sis64.exe that I thought it was. Running in 64-bit seems to be avoiding this problem. Sorry for any confusion.


Return to “Testing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron