Bug Report Archive

Threads and posts that have become outdated are preserved here.

Moderator: luciderous

Big Imp

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby Big Imp » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Arioch wrote:
Big Imp wrote:As you can see in my prevous post of the game, I am leaving the system, but I can still bombard it. Which doesn't make sense ;)

When you give a movement order to a fleet, it doesn't actually leave the system until the next turn. So until then, you can issue different movement orders, or perform other actions such as colonize, attack a planet, or attack enemy ships in the same system.

Well the ships were moving out of the system, and I had actually left the system. But I could bombard the system even though it was showing I was in transit between two star systems
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:18 am

Left-Click to drag behaves in an unexpected way while issuing a move order.
Build r11869

Select some ships, click the move button, and then attempt to click to drag the map using the left button. The first left click on empty space cancels the move order and fails to start a map drag. Middle clicking to drag works fine.

edited by sven: hrm, yes, and there's a similar problem with population transfer orders -- they too should support the map-drag semantic. easy to fix -- should be included in the next patch set. thanks for the report.

(also, there's another bug with move orders atm -- they're not showing preview lines when the cursor isn't hovering over a star system, which, in theory, they should be. that will also be fixed in the next patch.)
Last edited by mharmless on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:21 am

Deleting a design which is under construction somewhere will trigger an error at the end of the turn.
Build r11869

New game as the humans, queue a space station at Fargone, open ship designs, delete the space station design, hit end of turn.
Production Deleted Error.PNG
Production Deleted Error.PNG (170.99 KiB) Viewed 20521 times

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 pm

based on 2015-03-15 (r11939) - 'stable'
  • Planetary Report pane will not close on pressing ESC
  • LMB-panning works even when Main Menu is open. The same stands for when the Options window is open. This feels like an inconsistent behavior, because the game and the metagame manipulation options are strictly disjoint events
  • LMB-panning doesn’t work in tactical combat

Also, following the previous changes:
// * A brief left-click now clears the current galaxy map selection.
- Sometimes it doesn’t work as intended, you have to click twice in a row for the game to register a click proper. Perhaps tweaking the timing to the same amount that is currently set for the selection of star systems would do the trick

// * When processing tactical move commands, ships will now move to a nearby valid location, if the tile directly underneath the cursor implies an invalid move.
- It doesn’t seem to work as intended, RMB-clicking on the outside of allowed movement zone doesn’t trigger a legal move

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:35 pm

RMB-clicking on notification bubbles removes the news slide from the bottom of the screen, but leaves a visible foreground ‘stripe’ behind

Screenshot attached.
Attachments
bug.png
bug.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 20553 times

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 pm

“The ‘Lua state’ directory is missing” exception in WinMain

STR:
- start the game
- ALT-TAB if in fullscreen, or simply leave the window if in ‘windowed’ mode
- Right-click on the SiS icon in Windows Taskbar and left-click on ‘sis.exe’

edited by sven: hrm, yes. the same thing happens if people pin the game to their task bar, then try to launch it. there may be a simple fix for this.... give me a moment.

edited by sven(2): patched on 'dev'.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm

luciderous wrote:[*]LMB-panning doesn’t work in tactical combat

This is really a design issue, and one I'm still mulling over. Right now, inside tactical combat, a left-click and drag is used to select multiple ships. Most of the "ship group" commands I have planned aren't working at the moment, but, some level of support for multi-ship actions is an important feature -- one that should grow increasingly useful as I implement more of the tactical mechanics.

But, of course, if left-drag is used to select multiple ships, then left-drag can't also be used for panning. What I could do, given that we have 2 different click-drag semantics that it would be nice to support, would be to hide one or the other behind a modifier key. So, for example, holding down space might change drag-select to drag-pan, or holding down shift could change from drag-pan to drag-select. It would still be an awkward solution -- but, some awkwardness is inevitable here, I think, and a modifier-key semantic might be better than nothing.

Right now -- the only drag panning that works in the tactical game is a starcraft-style middle-mouse pan.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:10 pm

luciderous wrote:// * A brief left-click now clears the current galaxy map selection.
- Sometimes it doesn’t work as intended, you have to click twice in a row for the game to register a click proper. Perhaps tweaking the timing to the same amount that is currently set for the selection of star systems would do the trick

Again -- this is a problem that may not have any clean solution. We need to differentiate between a "click" and a "press-drag" -- and the only way to do that is to declare any button-down/up event that happens fast enough a "click", and anything that happens more slowly a "drag". Short of a tool for reading the player's mind, there's no way to be certain we know their intent :)

That said, I've tweaked the behavior a bit on 'dev'. As of the latest build, the cursor will change to suggest that you're in "panning" mode after the mouse button has been held down for 0.1 seconds, but, I'll clear the current selection when the mouse button is lifted as long as the total button hold time is less than 0.5 seconds. And I'll process a pan regardless of how long the button has been down -- even a .05 second gesture can pan the map, though you'll never see the cursor change in that case.

I think that's about as good a compromise as I can manage.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:09 pm

sven wrote:
luciderous wrote:// * When processing tactical move commands, ships will now move to a nearby valid location, if the tile directly underneath the cursor implies an invalid move.
- It doesn’t seem to work as intended, RMB-clicking on the outside of allowed movement zone doesn’t trigger a legal move

can you be more specific? if you're far enough from the edge of the legal move area, the transparent move-preview ship should disapear, and RMB-clicks will have no effect. i'm not certain this is the best possible behavior -- and the range at which legal move-clamping occurs can be adjusted.... but, the current behavior feels reasonable enough to me atm.

I think he was just confused by the wording of the change note. The function is working as it should: you still get a ghosted move telltale if the cursor goes slightly outside the technical move area, and click will trigger the ghosted move, but if you go farther and the ghost disappears, the move will no longer happen if you click. I think this works pretty well.

I think that the default left-drag action in tactical combat should be map scrolling, and shift-left-drag should be box select. That's sort of a de-facto standard in many games.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:09 pm

Arioch wrote:I think that the default left-drag action in tactical combat should be map scrolling, and shift-left-drag should be box select. That's sort of a de-facto standard in many games.

ok, i've got an implementation of this up on dev. feels ok to me -- though i've tweaked the click vs. drag numbers a bit. it's now cursor change on 0.1 seconds, click semantic on 0.15 seconds. and yes, this is now likely something that i'm messing with more than is strictly healthy :oops:

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 pm

sven wrote: That said, I've tweaked the behavior a bit on 'dev'. As of the latest build, the cursor will change to suggest that you're in "panning" mode after the mouse button has been held down for 0.1 seconds...
...I think that's about as good a compromise as I can manage.

Works great now, thank you! :)

Arioch wrote:I think he was just confused by the wording of the change note

That seems to be a correct observation. I'll elaborate more on it in the original thread.

sven wrote:ok, i've got an implementation of this up on dev. feels ok to me -- though i've tweaked the click vs. drag numbers a bit

Left-drag for map scrolling and shift-left-drag for box select is a good solution. The controls feel a lot more natural now.

Sky

Postby Sky » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Minor visual bug.

-Have no trade ships, pressing the "recall to star" with LMB makes the culsor disappear. After pressing LMB again it reappears.

Controlling the enemy.

-Attacking 2 stations on a planet. They shot all their missiles. Their next turn they try to shot missiles again, they have none, bug report pops in, AI control transfers to me while my ships become neutral. Both bases used up all missile and fighters, their weapons facing wrong direction so they can't atk. Self destruction works. Battle is won.

Pirated pirates.

-At the first encounter with the pirates simply dismissing the window makes the game unable to trigger pirate ship spawn event.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Sky wrote:-At the first encounter with the pirates simply dismissing the window makes the game unable to trigger pirate ship spawn event.

Hrm -- I found a similar bug in your logs -- I think what happened here is that the pirate's home base had been destroyed, leading a bug during the ship spawn event. Dismissing the event probably wasn't the root cause, but I might be wrong about that... A patch is posted on the 'dev' distro -- if you can still replicate this one, (using any build after r11951) let me know.

Greymoran

Re: Welcome New Testers!

Postby Greymoran » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Two UI issues immediately stand out: when renaming, you can't move the cursor from the end of the text field, and most buttons (including on the technology selection screen) require you to click on the actual text instead of just anywhere in the button area. Also, would be good if a tooltip popped up when attempting to move fleets to an impossible location indicating what is preventing it, even though it's going to be "out of range" 99% of the time...

sven
Site Admin

Re: Welcome New Testers!

Postby sven » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Greymoran wrote:Also, would be good if a tooltip popped up when attempting to move fleets to an impossible location indicating what is preventing it, even though it's going to be "out of range" 99% of the time...

Hrm, yes. I think we're starting to see the contours of a significant fleet-motion patch shaping up here, and this looks like another good addition.

There already is some in-game feedback when trying to move to an impossible location, but, it shows as an annotation for the title of the star system, rather than as a tooltip under the mouse. A lot of people are missing the title info, but, a tool-tip would be more noticable. Thanks for the feedback :)

Return to “Archives”