Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zolobolo

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:37 am

Ashdar Colonials have at least three colonies (Menkib and Dinkelsen 4 systems) with only Humans on them.
The Humans seem to be far away from these colonies so they should not be conquered planets

Also caught two colony ships of theirs which might provide an explanation:
- One containing Ashdar colonists (as should)
- One containing Human colonists (how did they produce this?)

Is this a bug in the colony ship production, or some kind of event that enabled them to assimilate human colonies and at least one colony ship?

Here is the save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqwn3spypbiuop3/Whos%20Colony%20Ship.rar?dl=0

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:14 am

Minor factions (including splinter colonies) are random. Some of the star system names that occur near each major faction are pre-determined, but their contents are not.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:29 am

Arioch wrote:Minor factions (including splinter colonies) are random. Some of the star system names that occur near each major faction are pre-determined, but their contents are not.

Yes, but:
1. Minor factions do not expand correct?
2. What are the odds of having 5 (the amount of human only Ashdar colonies in the meantime) human refugee minor faction right next to the Ashdars?
3. Them having converted all of them
4. How did they get the colony ship with human pop?

Seems more likely that there was one minor faction, they assimilated it, and now the colony ships produced there are containing human pop.
Is this intended? If yes, this opens up a lot of questions regarding habitability value of planets as they seem to concentrate only on the primary race the player has chosen in the beginning. It seems a wise choice to restrict colony ships to only one kind of pop. This would forgo the UI issues and would keep the design of the ships logical lore wise (The colony ship of an aquatic race cannot transport humans for example)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:12 pm

They probably either assimilated or conquered the Human splinter colony and then built colony ships from there.

Colony ships are populated with whatever the largest population on the constructing planet is (assuming it's not Primitive or has some other disqualifying attribute). However, colony ships observe the colonization rules for the owning empire, so you can't (for example) colonize an Arid world as Orthin using Human colonists.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Arioch wrote:They probably either assimilated or conquered the Human splinter colony and then built colony ships from there.

Colony ships are populated with whatever the largest population on the constructing planet is (assuming it's not Primitive or has some other disqualifying attribute). However, colony ships observe the colonization rules for the owning empire, so you can't (for example) colonize an Arid world as Orthin using Human colonists.

Ok makes sense. Think you might even go with the main race all the time but at least the GUI is consequent. Explains the Human population...

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Cannot assimilate minor Marauders as Gremak:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/48bpl03r0jdil8u/Cannot_Assimilate.GIF?dl=0

I could assimilate minors in the previous game before the latest Steam update though as the Orthin and they weren't Marauders, so might be intended

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Weapon types are not displayed after the bottom console is hidden and a new battle (type: defending) is initiated

Save contains the battle in progress: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4in2n8q36n879vx/Gremak%20Second.rar?dl=0

When the save is loaded, the weapons are displayed again. They will only disappear from the next battle when the menu has been minimized in the one before

Awaras

Postby Awaras » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 pm

One thing I am not clear on regarding biomes and population:

I have an arid world colonized by humans. The maximum population is 7 million and there is 7 million humans there. The population is not growing. I assume that means that they have inhabited all areas they find tolerable. Then, I move a single pop of Ashdar to the planet, which increases the max pop of the planet to 9 million. Suddenly, the human population starts growing. Shouldn't that extra 2 million pop be 'reserved' for the Ashdar since those are areas that humans previously found uninhabitable?

For that matter, wouldn't it make sense that researching the 'Habitat domes' tech would increase the max pop of all worlds by enabling the colonization of previously uninhabitable parts of the planet?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 am

When you introduce a new race to a planet that has a higher habitability rating for that planet's biomes than the current population, this increases the pop cap of the planet -- for all inhabitants. This might seem illogical, but it's to avoid the micromanagement of having to remove sub-optimal colonists from a planet to max out population. Realistically, you should have to remove the humans from the planet to take full advantage of the superior Ashdar arid habitability, and that's no fun.

Habitat domes let you live in a biome that you couldn't otherwise live in at all.

Awaras

Postby Awaras » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Arioch wrote:When you introduce a new race to a planet that has a higher habitability rating for that planet's biomes than the current population, this increases the pop cap of the planet -- for all inhabitants. This might seem illogical, but it's to avoid the micromanagement of having to remove sub-optimal colonists from a planet to max out population. Realistically, you should have to remove the humans from the planet to take full advantage of the superior Ashdar arid habitability, and that's no fun.

Habitat domes let you live in a biome that you couldn't otherwise live in at all.

I see. I was wondering if it was intentional or not, and if it works as intended that's OK. However, this situation also causes some micromanagement where I still had to move some human colonists to another planet to allow the ashdar to multiply, since otherwise I would have ended up with around 1.5M Ashdar and 7.5M Humans, and I was trying to proliferate the Ashdar because I had a lot of arid planets.

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Arioch wrote:Habitat domes let you live in a biome that you couldn't otherwise live in at all.

Actually it lets you colonize planets hostile to your primary race. If you play Orthin you can have Ashdars (even on Ashdar's colony ship) still not able to colonize an Arid planet, but you can capture an Arid planet and move your Orthins there.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:58 pm

r18460 Dev
I think the last sentence in this Gremak leader text bubble is missing a word. Or at least I don't get the punchline to the joke :mrgreen:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (76.68 KiB) Viewed 19646 times

I think it should read
"I answered: the Marauder is the one who would tell you."

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Yes indeed. Thanks.

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:36 am

Orthin can't research torpedoes - in a weird way. Could be a feature (no torpedo ships), but both Fusion and Antimater warheads lead to "???" (error in the research database). BTW, absence of torpedoes probably means weaker bombers - is this intended?
game_1599

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 am

I suspect that we probably shouldn't have bombers using torpedoes as ammunition anyway, but good point.

Return to “Testing”