game report

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Re: game report

Postby sven » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Arioch wrote:Frankly in the planetary report all I care about is potential wrench output, not actual wrench output. I want to know which of my planets has the highest potential industrial output, so I know which planets to allocate expensive production to.

Right, um, my reply was unclear. I've changed the top bar to show total *potential* production, where it used to show total actual production. Mal's comment was just that the total and individual numbers were inconsistent. I think we're all agreed about what the right behavior is here.

Mal

Postby Mal » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 am

464880_20161201000130_1.png
464880_20161201000130_1.png (907.91 KiB) Viewed 12503 times

New game. 500 stars and normal density.

Galaxy generation was somewhat slower than previous games, but not too long.

Actions seems to run at normal speeds -- ai turns, changing research, ship design, etc.

The noticeable lag is with the galaxy map, including panning. Zooming in and out of the galaxy map seems to have the most delay.

As the galaxy is populated with more game objects, we will see how this goes.
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

Awaras

Postby Awaras » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:25 am

Mal wrote:
shading.png

Shading

Based on the numerical data placed in this element, "18/35", a player would expect that shading to indicate a percentage of the population capacity used. As far as I could tell, that is not what it represents. If it does, excuse me.

I think graphical indicators should represent the numerical data that they are closely coupled with in the UX.

I believe that shading indicates population growth. That is, the shaded area fills up over the turns, and once it fills completely your population on that planet increases by +1.

Mal

Postby Mal » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 am

Awaras wrote:
Mal wrote:I think graphical indicators should represent the numerical data that they are closely coupled with in the UX.

I believe that shading indicates population growth. That is, the shaded area fills up over the turns, and once it fills completely your population on that planet increases by +1.

Indeed, but my point was that graphic representation should be connected to the numerical data in a ubiquitous way.

Check out Tufte's The Visual Display of Quantitative Information book.

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

Mal

Postby Mal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Noticed that the Ashdar Imperials did not receive a research focus bonus under "scientist perks". All other races have such a focus.

Ashdar Colonials get Construction for example.

Not a complaint or negligence per se, but just an observation.

That said, I was surprised that Ashdar Imperials' historical significance didn't create some influence advantage or disadvantage. Perhaps consider stepping outside the box with some modifiers like that. For example, allow a trade pool transport ship to cover two routes. You have a good number of variables to work with to mix things up.

Faction mutations could be randomized for a specific game instance as well to enhance variety. As players then, we don't really know another faction completely until we meet them in game. Our pre-contact knowledge about them is then based on the background story's historical records. When contact is finally made in a game, we deal with the mutated form. Also good for multiple versions of the same race faction in a game.

Mal

Postby Mal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 pm

fast-move.png
fast-move.png (698.52 KiB) Viewed 12462 times

Ashdar Imperials' colony ships moving to a destination with an ETA of 1 turn. I noticed this 1 turn move before, but this time the destination was a significant distance way. As I understand Stargates, this should not be possible yet. Doesn't the destination also require a built stargate?

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Mal wrote:Ashdar Imperials' colony ships moving to a destination with an ETA of 1 turn. I noticed this 1 turn move before, but this time the destination was a significant distance way. As I understand Stargates, this should not be possible yet. Doesn't the destination also require a built stargate?

Is this an effect of a big (ancient) stargate?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Ancient stargates don't require another gate at the destination, so it works right from the start of the game.

The later buildable "modern" stargates will require a gate at both ends to operate.

Return to “Testing”