How much of the tech tree is in game?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
evil713

How much of the tech tree is in game?

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 am

Its not only a question of how much of the tech tree is in game as well as how many/much of the tech's are fully working.

I get that some techs are placeholdery, and some are to be renamed, and some are just not done yet, im just wondering on what has not been added yet.

Arioch

Re: How much of the tech tree is in game?

Postby Arioch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:19 am

We're in the process of fleshing out the tech tree right now.

If you want an idea of what it looks like, you can take a look at this very unfinished mockup.

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:24 am

Very interesting looking mock up. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on all these techs :)

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:36 am

I kind of feel like you need more weapon mods to extend the tech tree in between weapon researches.

its possible after a certain level in research to just fly into newer and better weapons without really having time to mount them. There's no refinement really past ion, and missiles and kenetics have nothing.

it would also be nice to have weapons that do come, cylinder and area of effect attacks.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 am

I meant cone. I can't seem to edit a post from my phone, won't go through for some reason

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Arioch wrote:We're in the process of fleshing out the tech tree right now.

If you want an idea of what it looks like, you can take a look at this very unfinished mockup.

I would like to see a lot more economic,political and socials techs.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 pm

We do need to remember this is a very unfinished mockup.

Though it does bring in the question of tech sharing and aqusisition, especially race techs like ion artillery or flak cannons, flak would be easy, but ion artillery requires a siege mount, that being said there is a Super Dreadnought on the table and a stellar beam weapon, so it is possible that there are siege mounts in the future for all races.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Looking good for a mockup
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:56 am

evil713 wrote:Though it does bring in the question of tech sharing and aqusisition, especially race techs like ion artillery or flak cannons, flak would be easy, but ion artillery requires a siege mount, that being said there is a Super Dreadnought on the table and a stellar beam weapon, so it is possible that there are siege mounts in the future for all races.

The super-dreadnought, which is potentially researchable by all factions, does have the capability to mount a siege weapon, so there is the possibility of non-Orthin factions using such weapons on this hull (and presumably the Dread Star as well). I'm not sure yet whether unlocking the Super-dreadnoughts tech will also unlock siege weapon techs, or whether you'll just be able to automatically use them.

We plan to use the SD hull as an ancient, automated berserker, and possibly other things, so there's the possibility that you may be able to get your hands on one earlier in the game.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:08 am

is there just the single design for the SD? I must admit that was a bit of a killer for me in StarDrive 2 when the ships dlc was released, but there were inherent mechanics in that game that made it much more of a problem than just "immersion".

The Gremak possibly had there own, The Yoral's is likely somewhere between a macross missile massacre and "lady Harrington and no mercy", the humans probably had there own not to be out done by others.

I could see some races being "uplifted" by ashidar tech and rebuilding the design.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:09 am

evil713 wrote:is there just the single design for the SD? I must admit that was a bit of a killer for me in StarDrive 2 when the ships dlc was released, but there were inherent mechanics in that game that made it much more of a problem than just "immersion".

The Gremak possibly had there own, The Yoral's is likely somewhere between a macross missile massacre and "lady Harrington and no mercy", the humans probably had there own not to be out done by others.

I could see some races being "uplifted" by ashidar tech and rebuilding the design.

The super-dreadnought and ancient stargate are designed on the premise that they're probably of ancient Ashdar origin, but that they could just as easily have been from one of the other ancient factions (the pointy designs are as suited to the Gremak as they are to the Ashdar). The modern races can learn to replicate the designs, but they'll be customized versions of the ancient pattern.

Doing art assets for ships this large is expensive. If we end up having the time and resources before release to do more large ships, I'd rather do race-specific variants of the battle stations.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Not to put too fine a point on it but aren't you the artist?

Even placeholder Art for some of these technologies would be a nice thing to have

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:19 pm

evil713 wrote:Not to put too fine a point on it but aren't you the artist?

There are a finite number of hours in the day between now and our target release date; my being the artist doesn't mean I have an infinite capacity to produce every art asset I'd like to have in the game, any more than Sven being the programmer means he has an infinite capacity to add every feature he would like to. The amount of work we can produce in a day is finite and so has to be budgeted and prioritized. We have a lot of work still to do to meet our existing goals for release.

evil713 wrote:Even placeholder Art for some of these technologies would be a nice thing to have

What items do you think need artwork that are currently lacking it?

Return to “Testing”