Platform questions

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
halftea

Platform questions

Postby halftea » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:26 am

Just out of curiosity, will there be plans to eventually port the game into a tablet version?

sven
Site Admin

Re: Platform questions

Postby sven » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:00 am

halftea wrote:Just out of curiosity, will there be plans to eventually port the game into a tablet version?

Well, the version of Stars in Shadow that we're working on right now is really designed to be played with a mouse and keyboard. And as designers, all of our energy is going into making that mouse-and-keyboard version of the game as good as we can manage.

Rethinking the UI for an iPad or tablet-PC would be a big project. That said, from a technical standpoint -- I think an iOS port is certainly possible. Sometime down the line, we may look into it -- particularly if there's a clamor of demand from you guys ;) But right now, it's not something we're actively planning for.

cacysunlee

Postby cacysunlee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:41 am

What engine you use, or you have written your own game-engine?
my hobby is game design with C# and Unity3D.
and I still need to practice English...

Greymoran

Postby Greymoran » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:31 pm

I think porting it to MacOS/Linux is a lot closer than porting it to tablet OSes, but let's wait for the game to actually be done first.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm

cacysunlee wrote:What engine you use, or you have written your own game-engine?

It's a custom engine -- OpenGL graphics and Lua 5.2 scripting. So I think an OS-X port should be pretty straightforward, when we get to that point.

halftea

Postby halftea » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Please finish the keyboard and mouse version first. Although if I have a good game to get me through sitting in waiting rooms on my tablet one day I won't complain. :)

eazrael

Postby eazrael » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:23 am

Mac OS X support, but no Linux support? Outrageous!
iOS, but not Android? Disgusting!

I think if you plan to go to Mac OS X, then a port to Linux should not be too much work. It really depends on what additional Libs you use or not use. Seeing the Game on Steam would be nice too. It gives you a greater visibility and maybe more sales. With Linux support you get access to the new Steamboxes, in case these wil lift off. Have you considerd Steam Greenlight and Early Access?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:02 pm

eazrael wrote:I think if you plan to go to Mac OS X, then a port to Linux should not be too much work. It really depends on what additional Libs you use or not use.

The main graphics engine is OpenGL, and last I checked, many video cards actually had better OpenGL drivers on Linux than Windows. So, in that sense, a Linux port would be relatively easy. Assuming the PC version does well, I'm willing to consider investing in a Linux port -- but, any OS port, even an "easy" one, is going to be a fair amount of work. We'd need a surplus of money or time to pull it off, and right now, I don't think it's something we can commit to.

eazrael wrote:iOS, but not Android? Disgusting!

If we did do an iOS port, I suspect an Andriod port would not be too far behind. Here it's just a question of familiarity -- I've worked on a couple iOS projects, but I've yet to try writing an Andriod app. As I said before though, we're not actively planning for a tablet version of any sort, so atm this is all fairly hypothetical :)

Return to “General Forum”