Strategic Zoom

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
DevildogPD

Strategic Zoom

Postby DevildogPD » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:08 am

Are you still planning to add this feature and if so, when?

Arioch

Re: Strategic Zoom

Postby Arioch » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:46 pm

DevildogPD wrote:Are you still planning to add this feature and if so, when?

Yes. Soon. :D

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:25 pm

What about a tech tree?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:What about a tech tree?

Still officially a "maybe". If we can get it done, it will happen during the Steam EA.

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:46 pm

I think having no tree is a mistake.Expect a hammering in EA about it.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:18 am

Ashbery76 wrote:I think having no tree is a mistake.Expect a hammering in EA about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Honestly I don't feel like I need a tech tree in every game. For those who yearn to min-max and such they obviously want to see what tech path they plan to follow, but sometimes its nice not to immediately know where everything will lead. SiS already tells you upfront what techs will be unlocked and what to expect next. That is has been enough for me so far.
Last edited by echo2361 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:55 am

echo2361 wrote:Honestly I don't feel like a need a tech tree is every day. For those who yearn to min-max and such they obviously want to see what tech path they plan to follow, but sometimes its nice not to immediately know where everything will lead. SiS already tells you upfront what techs will be unlocked and what to expect next. That is has been enough for me so far.

When you played the game several times, you can fly blindly through the techs without second thought.
(Like I play MoO2, basically my brain is on autopilot :mrgreen: )

But the first few times you have no clue what you are doing and will feel overwhelmed.
Technically, all information (prereqs and leads-to) are displayed with the hyperlink style browsing through the techs.
But we are visual creatures and a tree view helps greatly to process the given information.

You could do the old-school way and give the finalised techtree as pdf/picture outside of the game.
I think the first Civilisation had an A3 techtree poster in the box.

SilasOfBorg

Postby SilasOfBorg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:26 pm

I really wanted a tech tree, until discovering that I could click on a category and get a list of techs for that category.

I used to worry that if I didn't research some odd prerequisite that I would miss The Next Missile or something - now I just check the list. It's actually easier and more straightforward than navigating through a tech tree looking for The Next Missile.

But it took me a while to find that, and I really just stumbled on it. I don't know if I missed an advisor hint or if it just wasn't advertised, but I suggest that if you don't have a tech tree in EA that you do point out very clearly that said lists are available.

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Oh come on.Clicking on techs to see other future techs is very annoying and not what one has to come to expect from linear tech trees.

SilasOfBorg

Postby SilasOfBorg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:Oh come on.Clicking on techs to see other future techs is very annoying and not what one has to come to expect from linear tech trees.

For you it is "very annoying". For me it is "almost unnoticable". Different strokes my friend.

Would I like a screen a la Civ or Moo with everything nicely color coded with pretty icons and tooltips on every tech and component? Sure. But there's a million more things that affect gameplay a lot more that I'd like to see first. Perhaps I'm in the minority but it doesn't change my opinion. :)

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:21 pm

It nothing to do with different strokes but simple usability, ie good UI.

Return to “Testing”