Font

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
rattle

Font

Postby rattle » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 pm

Is the font seen on the screen shots temporary or final? Personally I find it a bit silly.

The UI looks really slick and it does not match up IMO.

Arioch

Re: Font

Postby Arioch » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:38 pm

I initially had a similar opinion of the font, but I have since gotten used to it.

I'd be curious to hear other people's opinions on the subject.

Hakon

Postby Hakon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:02 am

It looks a little bit off to me personally, it's not a bad font persay, but it doesn't quite gel with the art style or the UI elements. Something closer to the font in the logo but with a little less stylization and skewed more toward standard block than wide block lettering would match the UI bordering and art elements IMO. The strait lines and rounded corners look closer to how the UI borders do right now.

halftea

Postby halftea » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:10 am

I can see the point rattle and Hakon are making. It almost looks like two separate fonts are in use. I'm sure I can get used to it, but it does mildly jar your impressions at first glance.

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:19 am

I actually do like the font used for titles ("Select Faction", names of the races etc.) -
It's quite nice and blends well with the visual style of the game overall. The problem is, however, that it seems to be a bit inconsistent with the other font used for titles throughout the UI (ship type names for example). Nothing major of course, but it may benefit from some further tuning.

halftea

Postby halftea » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:09 pm

luciderous wrote:The problem is, however, that it seems to be a bit inconsistent with the other font used for titles throughout the UI (ship type names for example).

Right. It's the inconsistency that jars slightly. Nothing major, and purely a cosmetic detail, but something to consider nonetheless.

cacysunlee

Postby cacysunlee » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm

I mean only the headlines, for example in the race selection. This font reminds me a bit of comic books. The other letters looks fine. :)
Imho space games looks better, when they are have some modern art font. And the font in the banner of the forum does look like a font for a space game. :)
my hobby is game design with C# and Unity3D.
and I still need to practice English...

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:44 pm

cacysunlee wrote:This font reminds me a bit of comic books.

Is there something wrong with comic books? :) Should the UI look dull and boring like in this case? Image

cacysunlee wrote:Imho space games looks better, when they are have some modern art font. And the font in the banner of the forum does look like a font for a space game. :)

Tastes differ. Personally, I like current font quite a lot. And the font you are suggesting for a replacement is a bit to 'arty' for my taste, to the point of being unreadable with larger chunks of text. Oh well, maybe that's just me? ;)

rattle

Postby rattle » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm

If I take a look at the logo and description fonts then the comical headlines look out of place to me.

Hakon

Postby Hakon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:55 am

luciderous wrote:
cacysunlee wrote:This font reminds me a bit of comic books.

Is there something wrong with comic books? :) Should the UI look dull and boring like in this case? Image

cacysunlee wrote:Imho space games looks better, when they are have some modern art font. And the font in the banner of the forum does look like a font for a space game. :)

Tastes differ. Personally, I like current font quite a lot. And the font you are suggesting for a replacement is a bit to 'arty' for my taste, to the point of being unreadable with larger chunks of text. Oh well, maybe that's just me? ;)

Nothing wrong with comic books, and there's nothing wrong with the font by itself, but it doesn't really match with the text font or the UI design. It'd be one thing if they were using angles and lines that were consistent with the font's style. From a visual design standpoint the font looks disconnected from the elements around it and it's being used in the most prominent possible way, so people are picking up on it at a glance. This effect can be used in different ways, but if you're doing it you need to have it convey something or draw attention to something you want attention on. Right now all I'm getting is 'this font looks different' because it does, maybe that will change when eventually I get to see the game in action, but for now the only message is 'this font looks different', which is jarring and doesn't lead to any deeper message.

Overall it's a completely minor point though, and fonts are easy to change.

The UI you posted does indeed look boring, but not because of the font they used, it looks boring because it's dark gray, and flat. From what we've seen of Stars in Shadow the UI uses colors and translucency to convey depth, you could use comic sans (shudders) and the UI would still look good, people would just complain about the font ;P

cacysunlee

Postby cacysunlee » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:10 am

Please don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with Comics, i love the universe of Stan Lee, but i full agree with Hakon. :)

Dinkelsen

Postby Dinkelsen » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:51 am

I would also say that the font fits well with the graphics style of the entire game, not only the UI.
I would also agree that there is a slight collision in stayle when comparing the headlines font to the main text font. It is only slight, but noticable.
Maybe changing the main text font to somethign that fits better to the headlines font would be the best way to solve the issue (its not a problem)

cacysunlee

Postby cacysunlee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 am

I agree, it's not a problem. In my games are cosmetics one of the last things, that i do. Bug hunting and fixing have the major priority in beta stages. :)

halftea

Postby halftea » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:21 pm

On a related note, is there a reason that the two "A"'s in the title on the main webpage and the forums are different?

stars in shadow.JPG
stars in shadow.JPG (24.79 KiB) Viewed 26116 times

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:11 pm

halftea wrote:On a related note, is there a reason that the two "A"'s in the title on the main webpage and the forums are different?

Artistic license. The A in the word "stars" has a star, and the A in the word "shadow" does not.

Return to “General Forum”