Stars in Shadow signs with Iceberg Interactive

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Arioch

Stars in Shadow signs with Iceberg Interactive

Postby Arioch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Good news! We are in the final stages of signing with a publisher, the details of which will be announced next week on Thursday, April 21. This deal will allow us to complete the game in time for release in the second half of this year. It will also require us to stop selling new pre-orders on this site after that date, though all existing pre-orders will be honored under the new contract and our beta program will continue. We will continue to sell pre-orders through Wednesday April 20 at the current price of $19.99 USD; the price on release is likely to be higher. After that, the pre-order page will be taken down, but testers and pre-purchasers will continue to have access to the beta going forward.

We would like to thank everyone for your continued support, and especially our testers and pre-order customers who have played a critical role in helping us get to this point. We look forward to bringing you a completed version of Stars in Shadow later this year.

update: Ashdar Games has signed an agreement to publish Stars in Shadow with Iceberg Interactive, well-known publisher of such 4X space titles as Endless Space, StarDrive, and Armada 2526. The official press release is available here.

We’re really looking forward to working with Iceberg. They have an excellent track record in the genre, and Stars in Shadow will certainly benefit from their experience and support. The release is currently targeted for Q3 2016.

bjg

Re: Publishing Deal Forthcoming

Postby bjg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:47 pm

I've just witnessed a good game (similar to yours in many ways) being downplayed (a lot) by a publisher, while not helping with a financial success. Most of publishers are evil. They brake connection between users and developers and slow down patches, while not spending any significant amounts on advertizement. They know how to be "cheap" - and they do it in every way they can.
Sorry, but I consider this news being quite bad. :(

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:57 pm

It depends on the publisher. In this case for us it's all upside. We'll still be here talking to you, we'll still be developing in the same way, and we'll still be in control of the property. The only difference is that we'll have the resources to work full time, do proper QA and marketing.

Zaskow

Postby Zaskow » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Slitherine Ltd.? Iceberg Interactive?

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:22 pm

My guess is Iceberg. Slitherine just released Polaris Sector but besides that their only other interest in space 4x has been Distant Worlds to my knowledge. I suppose they could be trying to expand into the genre more by acquiring SiS but the game feels more like Iceberg's specialty.

Arioch

Re: Stars in Shadow signs with Iceberg Interactive

Postby Arioch » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Ashdar Games has signed an agreement to publish Stars in Shadow with Iceberg Interactive, well-known publisher of such 4X space titles as Endless Space, StarDrive, and Armada 2526. The official press release is available here.

We’re really looking forward to working with Iceberg. They have an excellent track record in the genre, and Stars in Shadow will certainly benefit from their experience and support. The release is currently targeted for Q3 2016.

Theodotus

Postby Theodotus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 am

I saw some interesting things in the features listed on the Facebook page. Like a star system having up to 10 planets.

I like that, in particular, very much. It makes the universe feel more "real" to have systems with as many planets as our own.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 am

Theodotus wrote:I saw some interesting things in the features listed on the Facebook page. Like a star system having up to 10 planets.

I like that, in particular, very much. It makes the universe feel more "real" to have systems with as many planets as our own.

Unfortunately, that's not correct. The limit is still 4 planets per system.

Having more planets per system would be realistic, but it would be purely cosmetic, as the majority of them would be uninhabitable gas giants or rockballs and wouldn't change gameplay in any meaningful way.

Theodotus

Postby Theodotus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:22 am

Ah, well, too bad.

You should probably correct the Facebook page, so people don't accuse you of false advertising. (Having seen the way some people jump on the slightest thing they think they were promised in a game design but didn't get, I don't want you all to pick up any bad feeling or word of mouth.)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:22 pm

The item has already been fixed on Iceberg's website. I don't see it anywhere on the Facebook page.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Mon May 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Congratz with the deal
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

wminsing

Postby wminsing » Tue May 10, 2016 1:37 am

Congrats on lining up a publisher. The game is shaping up to be one of my all time favorites. Here's to your continued success!

-Will

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:12 pm

You guys deserve it with all the work you've put into this.

Return to “Testing”