Eager to Hear About Diplomacy Implementation

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Devildogff

Eager to Hear About Diplomacy Implementation

Postby Devildogff » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:59 pm

I know it's coming soon and I'm eager to hear what you have in store for us. Just posting here to make my desire more visible ;)

Answer when you can!
http://www.eXplorminate.co - A 4X Gaming Community

Devildogff

Re: Eager to Hear About Diplomacy Implementation

Postby Devildogff » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:45 am

I've checked here every day since I wrote this :-(

You guys sure are tight-lipped about this one...

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:34 am

Devildogff wrote:I've checked here every day since I wrote this :-(

You guys sure are tight-lipped about this one...

Probably have both hands full with coding and our buggering with crazy ideas (several by me :mrgreen: )
In this thread was recently a tidbit about diplomacy:
Arioch wrote:We're working on diplomacy now, which will be in a build before long. We don't plan to do espionage for the initial release.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:14 pm

We're currently working on the diplomacy system, and details may change, so there's a limit to how specific we can be right now until we have a functional framework.

For general principles regarding diplomacy, see my post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1640#p1640

Here is a brief rundown of diplomacy elements:
  • Event Cards: In order to help drive interactions and make the AI factions behave more like characters, the AI periodically draws from a detailed and varied event card deck. These cards may represent traditional random events, or they may simply be behavioral cues for the AI faction. The cards include instructions for the AI faction and (where applicable) dialogue options for interaction with the player.
  • Influence: In addition to the usual faction reputations, there is a diplomatic resource that can be earned and spent on agreements. This allows us to provide the player with tools to improve relations with other factions, but at a cost in a currency other than just cash or just fear.
  • Issues: Each faction maintains a list of issues with you, so that you can see and potentially address problematic issues, and so that the AI faction can remember your past interactions (and do things like check to see whether it has attacked you in the past before it calls you a warmonger).
  • Quips: Wherever possible, the AI factions draw from a variety of faction-specific dialogue.
  • Racial Attitude: Your interactions with other factions may also affect the morale of your own populations of the same race.
Here are some recent diplomacy screen mockups. Keep in mind that these are just mockups, and everything is subject to change.
diplomacy3_vanity.jpg
diplomacy3_vanity.jpg (438.31 KiB) Viewed 30518 times

diplomacy3_discussion.jpg
diplomacy3_discussion.jpg (480.24 KiB) Viewed 30518 times

Zaskow

Postby Zaskow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:48 am

Interesting. But I think info about warships and resources should be hidden from player.

Devildogff

Postby Devildogff » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Holy shit, that looks fantastic! Those ideas are also fantastic. You guys seem to really understand what makes 4x diplomacy interesting!

I can't wait! Seriously excited now.

Edit: any idea on an ETA? Diplomacy will greatly increase my desire to play SiS and start giving pointed feedback.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Zaskow wrote:Interesting. But I think info about warships and resources should be hidden from player.

That could require something like an embassy with the faction.

Devildogff wrote:any idea on an ETA? Diplomacy will greatly increase my desire to play SiS and start giving pointed feedback.

Probably sometime this month, but all I can really say is "soon." It's what we're working on right now.

Theodotus

Postby Theodotus » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:17 pm

This looks outstanding! And the philosophy you describe regarding how the diplomacy system should work seems right on target to me.

Implementation of this system is all I'm waiting for before I start playing SIS on a regular basis. (Though I think I'm going to play a test game over the next couple of days, in any case.)

Devildogff

Postby Devildogff » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Literally checking every day now in hopes of seeing the diplomacy roll out...

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Don't hurt yourself. It'll likely be at least a couple of weeks.

Devildogff

Postby Devildogff » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Arioch wrote:Don't hurt yourself. It'll likely be at least a couple of weeks.

No pain in checking ;) Just eager and excited!

On another note, the site gets Stellaris in a couple weeks, so if I'm not around when it rolls out, you'll know why. Though Stellaris will likely consume me for a bit, I'll be playing the crap out of SiS when the review is done for Paradox's take. There is room in my life for two or three great space 4X ;)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Here is the current mockup for the trading interface (with incremental refinements to the overall diplomatic UI):
diplomacy4_transaction2.jpg
diplomacy4_transaction2.jpg (486.09 KiB) Viewed 30381 times

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 am

Looks great!

One thing that has always seemed odd/bugged me in certain games is my ability to see exactly how much resources and money an alien species has. I suppose this makes sense with allies, but I would think my enemies wouldn't want to openly share that info with me. It lets me assess their strengths and ability to wage war easily against them.

I understand the benefit of seeing how much an AI would actually have to offer before proposing a trade deal, so from a game mechanic perspective it makes sense to avoid player frustration from making offers the AI has to refuse because it lacks the necessary resources.

I guess I just wish there was a better explanation for the in-depth knowledge I have of another empire's economy. Maybe it takes an embassy established first to see that info? Or many that info it tied into an espionage system in some way, like as the easiest form of data for spies to get?

Not saying anything needs to be changed since this is how most games handle this issue, but just curious to see what others thoughts are.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:44 am

In order to be able to negotiate deals, it's almost a requirement to reveal a certain amount of information about the other party (it's very difficult to be able to ask for resources when you don't know what the potential partner has). Requiring an embassy to see this information fixes most of the obvious problems; you won't be able to see this information if a faction is hostile, and most agreements will be unavailable in that case anyway. Embassies are dissolved when hostilities occur.

As this is a feature under current development, we are of course eager to hear what people think about it.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:05 am

I would assume that your race got an adequat foreign ministry and intelligence apparatus to have such information about other races.
Number of colonies, ressources, etc. You can't really put a tight lid on it.

It would be funny if you couldn't identify weapons & modules on enemy ships that you don't have researched.
Not just named "unknown", also just a big "?" as icon. (So experienced players can't identify them by looking at the icons).
The enemy uses unknown weapon technology! Is it stronger? Is it an side path? Only one way to find out: get hit by it! :lol:
(I was always amazed that the Enterprise guys of all generations could tell about shields and weapons they don't have a clue about.
"Sir! The unknown, hyper advanced alien ship is powering weapons!" - "How do you know? Maybe it's their coffee machine?" :mrgreen: )

Return to “Testing”