Bug Report Archive

Threads and posts that have become outdated are preserved here.

Moderator: luciderous

LongSquared

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby LongSquared » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:14 am

Game crashes following tactical skirmish

The game seems to become unresponsive after my scout participates in an ill-advised encounter with a Marauder Destroyer. I can only assume that this is a desperate ploy by the Marauders to slow down the rising dominance of the Ashdar. Unfortunately, it seems to have worked -- at least temporarily.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Load attached saved game
2. Hit 'End Turn'
Attachments
preCrash.zip
(88.08 KiB) Downloaded 711 times

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:32 am

LongSquared wrote:Game crashes following tactical skirmish

Hrm. And this is happening on a machine with an AMD Radeon R7 200 card?

I can't replicate the freeze -- which makes it plausible, (though of course not certain), that this is yet-another weird hardware-specific glitch. In this case, perhaps, loading a beam attack texture is triggering some sort of error. Hopefully -- all these AMD bugs can be resolved by doing something appropriately AMD-friendly in my core texture handling logic.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:18 am

If a species is removed from a planet by bombardment on the same turn as an invasion, you will be unable to get racial information on the remaining species.
To reproduce, find a multiracial world, show up with enough force to capture or bombard it. Examine it, bombard until you have eliminated one of the species. Invade. You will be unable to get racial information until the next turn. The remaining species will show up offcenter, not quite where it was when there were more races, but farther from the left than it should be shown.

Unable to get racial info after bombardment of one of the races of a multiracial planet.PNG
Unable to get racial info after bombardment of one of the races of a multiracial planet.PNG (426.49 KiB) Viewed 25449 times

post edited by sven: this is more or less a known issue -- though i haven't seen it manifest in quite this way before. basically, there's a cache here that isn't always being flushed when it should be. low priority bug, but, i should get to it when we update the planet UI frames. until then, if you see a layout glitch like this, hitting ctrl-M should reset the layout.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 am

Well Hi,

First time for me in here. I don't think I can reproduce the bug because the game just freezed up and I can't do anything inside the game. I had to hit Alt+Ctrl+Del to get out of the game. I couldn't access anything inside the game.
This happenede when I tried to move my ships from the the yellow star to next star system on my map, I was on my second turn moving.
The game is running on alienware M17x r3 GPU 6990HD. I am Playing Asdar Imperials, and on my 1109 turn when this happened. Let me know if I missed anything you would like to knpw besides all this.
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am

Big Imp wrote:I don't think I can reproduce the bug because the game just freezed up

Can you gather and attach this info to your post, please?
- a save file of the game where the bug occurred
- the entire contents of your Stars in Shadow/logs directory

This may also have something to do with you having an AMD video card. Be advised to keep an eye on this topic as well.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:55 am

luciderous wrote:
Big Imp wrote:I don't think I can reproduce the bug because the game just freezed up

Can you gather and attach this info to your post, please?
- a save file of the game where the bug occurred
- the entire contents of your Stars in Shadow/logs directory

This may also have something to do with you having an AMD video card. Be advised to keep an eye on this topic as well.

Sorry I am not able to give you a save game because the save I have is before the crash. But it seems like when ever the game crashes my computer locks up and I can't access anything inside the game. Is there an autosave in the game?
I also noticed if you hit next turn too quickly- by that I mean I want to just I hit next turn several times like I want to do 5 turns quickly- then the game crashes.

Ps I am aware of the AMD issues, Sven told me that was why I was invited i am running it on a 6990HD whith old drivers since i can't update my drivers on an alienware laptop. Running on driver version 9.3.0.0
A save game I used when I hit continue after I restarted the game
Attachments
Haduir Save2.rar
(116.17 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:22 pm

Can't use the continue option after the game has crashed. This happened now that I am playing Ashdar colonials. Again I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of the game and shut it down. the Alt-x won't work this is me playing on Alienware. Will try to see if it also happens on dekstop.

post edited by sven: this looks like a relatively simple bug. I may be able to sneak a patch into the next stable distro.
Attachments
Teros Save2.rar
(106.97 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
Last edited by Big Imp on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Big Imp wrote:Ps I am aware of the AMD issues, Sven told me that was why I was invited i am running it on a 6990HD whith old drivers since i can't update my drivers on an alienware laptop. Running on driver version 9.3.0.0

Yup, it looks like we can add the AMD Radeon HD 6900M to the list of cards with "severe" known bugs. I'm seeing some error messages in your logs that look similar to the between-turn planet-texture generation crashes we've seen before. So that, in a sense, is a good sign. Hopefully, there's a common underlying issue here, rather than a half dozen distinct glitches all in need of separate fixes.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Big Imp wrote:Sorry I am not able to give you a save game because the save I have is before the crash. But it seems like when ever the game crashes my computer locks up and I can't access anything inside the game. Is there an autosave in the game?

Yes, in the options screen, you can set the game to autosave every 10 turns or every turn.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:00 pm

Founf savegame option.

thanks for the heads up

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:10 pm

Build 11621 (2015-02-08)

1. Refitted ship is lost if refit build order is cancelled
2. You cannot resume that particular order

Steps to reproduce:
- have your scout in a system with your colony
- select "refit" in your colony's build order menu
- select the aforementioned scout, make modifications, save the change
- open the build order menu again and select any building to be built
= the original scout ship is missing from the fleet menu in that system
- if you open the build order menu again and select "Refit: Scout Cruiser" order, nothing happens - you can not resume this order

post edited by sven: got it replicating. looks like a simple fix. thanks for the report.
post edited by sven(2): patched on 'dev'.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Code: Select all

[string "all_empires[1].tradeship_pool[_ref("all_ships..."]:1: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
[string "all_empires[1].tradeship_pool[_ref("all_ships..."]:1:
 Lua state\Orders\fleet.lua:892:raw_alien_fleets:

This is one I've seen in exception logs uploaded by luciderous. I'm managed to replicate the bug once or twice myself, working from luciderous's save file -- but, I can't quite find the magic pattern of commands needed to make it happen consistently. If anyone sees this, and can figure out a replication pattern for it -- please let me know.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Can't move backwards in combat only forward from the point you are. played on laptop
Attachments
combat2.jpg
combat2.jpg (323.22 KiB) Viewed 25451 times

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Big Imp wrote:Can't move backwards in combat only forward from the point you are. played on laptop

to a degree -- this is working as intended. if you click on the "+" next to the move command, you should open a submenu that includes "rotate". and, in this situation, rotating enough to reverse would take most of your remaining movement points for the turn.

as Arioch has said in other places, one of the first things we're going to change when we get to our tactical balance pass is to reduce the costs of rotation, particularly for small ships like scouts, so turning around won't be so cumbersome.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm

I am stuck in a combat, I can't do anything even not end turn. attached savegame

post edited by sven: Interesting! I can replicate the bug -- and I suspect there's a simple fix for this one. It will need to wait for the morning, however.
post edited by sven(2): Not as simple as I'd hoped. The bug appears to replicate reliably, however, and I think it's associated with some of the other issues we've been seeing in tactical games. Could almost be a floating-point rounding glitch.... A fix will need to wait until the tactical revisions pass, I've afraid.
Attachments
autosave_2.rar
(336.47 KiB) Downloaded 699 times

Return to “Archives”