Introduce yourself :)

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Edix

Re: Introduce yourself :)

Postby Edix » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello,

4x fiend here. GC1-2, MOO2 (Fav), Civ(all), Pax Imperia, Master of Magic, Deadlock, Imperium Galactica, Sword of the Stars, Endless Space. And that is just what I played last week.

;)

wminsing

Postby wminsing » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:11 am

Hey folks, as most of you another long-term 4X player here. My gateway game was CivII, played it so much I developed an eye tic that required I take a computer hiatus for some number of months. :)

Since then I've played a wide variety of 4x games, all the Civs, Colonization, MOO series, MOM, Space Empires series, Ascendancy and some other other older space 4X games whose names are escaping me at the moment. More recently I've been playing Endless Legend, Endless Space, Stardrive, Sword of the Stars I/II.

-Will

zircher

Postby zircher » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:05 am

First time poster, long time gamer.

Oh, I guess I've been doing the 4X thing well... before they were personal computers to do it with. I've driven across town to hand deliver my written orders for Core Wars. :-)

Dinkelsen

Postby Dinkelsen » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Hello!

I'm Dinkelsen, as so many amogst you I have been playing games for a very long time, since 1981 to be precise. Good old time of ASCII art space invaders. I even did some game-programming back then but I would not call them games really, maybe gamelets. They were sort of "Fly-through-an-asteroid-field-and-watch-fascinating-ascii-explosions-if-you-hit-a-rock" gamelets.

I always liked 4x games, despite not being escecially good at them. I played Master of Orion, the Civilizations, Master of Magic, Ascendancy, I even modded Civ1 to incorporate the Austrians (instead of the Germans). I also like other games, I played the Ultima Series, Oblivion and Skyrim a lot, the X-Series, Endless Space, StarTrek Online - where I made a webcomic about the adventures of Cpt. Dinkelsen - and Distant Worlds, where I did some graphical modding - as examples.

I am also a little into game development, although this is purely a hobby for me. I did finish one game, an Asteroids type shooter, but most of my projects are case studies where I try to find out how some things work. (or, like in some cases, don't work) I never released anything to the public and never will. Its just for myself.

The first time I heard of Stars in Shadow was before the game had this name, there was a mod for a game called Starsector/Starfarer (I keep forgetting which is the old and which the new name) The mod had the name "Hawken fleet" and it was the Ashdar colonial fleet. I liked that style and visited deviant art now and then to see if here was more art emerging in that style. And in time, it did. (I never played Starsector, but I studied its mechanics. It is done in Java and used the same graphics library as I did myself, although heavily altered)

I immediatly got hooked on the unique and very appealing graphics style of SiS, but I do hope to be able to experience gameplay, too. To behonest I have absolutely no idea where SiS is going gameplay-wise, I am so busy looking at the graphics I always forget to think about it. "4x" and "we liked MOO" was enough for me to become interested. Maybe I'l get lucky and get a beta invite in the next round.

I am looking forward to be part of this community, its going to be an interesting time.
Dinkelsen

pinback

Postby pinback » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi! Pinback here! I'm an old guy who's been playing computer games since he was about two years old.

I used to run a site (4xgamer.com) exclusively about 4X games, until DevildogFF stole my idea and put me out of business!

rattle

Postby rattle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Hello,

I'm a male nurse, am 30 years old and a big fan of Master of Orion 2 for it's audio and visuals, combat system and freedom in design. It's what kept me hooked and haven't found again yet. I'm also a big fan of the original Master of Orion for it's simplicity yet deep game play. Ever since then I've been looking for a decent remake.

I've had my share of almost any sci-fi 4X out there from the early nineties on and I quite like role playing elements and open world systems that give you freedom of choice like Darklands, XCOM or Mount&Blade.

I'm really hooked on the pretty sprites right now and the game looks like a clone of MoO2 on steroids. Really hyped for once!

Hakon

Postby Hakon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:03 am

Hey all Hakon here. I've been a strategy gamer practically as long as I can remember, from Dune II on my Sega Genesis to late night games of Alexander Ardennes, and Ghettysburg (the Avalon hill classics) with my brother and uncle. I've played practically every major strategy game on the market since the late 90's.

I first heard about Stars in Shadow via the teasers Arioch put out on his website and signed up for the beta back in December. I really like the look and feel, using Arioch's art to convey the tone gives the game a really unique look and feel that'll set it apart.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the game and delving into it's lore.

Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:26 pm

I always find reading Outsider makes me want to play SotS, so this seems like a good place to be. ;)
Summer grasses
all that remains of great soldiers'
imperial dreams - Basho

Greymoran

Postby Greymoran » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:13 pm

When I heard that the artist of "Outsider" was teaming up with a developer to make a new MOO-alike, I was instantly on board.

Devildogff

Postby Devildogff » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 am

pinback wrote:Hi! Pinback here! I'm an old guy who's been playing computer games since he was about two years old.

I used to run a site (4xgamer.com) exclusively about 4X games, until DevildogFF stole my idea and put me out of business!

The one thing you need to know about Pinback here is that he...is a liar. A big fat liar.

Only most of the time.

:shock:
http://www.eXplorminate.co - A 4X Gaming Community

Sky

Postby Sky » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:10 am

Don't start a holy war here please, besides everyone knows that for 4x games you go to spacesector. ;)

Devildogff

Postby Devildogff » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:30 am

Sky wrote:Don't start a holy war here please, besides everyone knows that for 4x games you go to spacesector. ;)

OUCH! :p
http://www.eXplorminate.co - A 4X Gaming Community

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 am

Hi all,

I am 51 years old and have an engineer degree in datacom/telecom.
I live in Denmark and have a wife and two kids.
I can see most of you have mentioned all the games I have played so I can't add any to the list on top of my head. At the moment I am playing Endless Legend, and just finished DA:I. I love to play turnbased games and it goes back to intels 2/386 era. My all time favorite games are Ascendancy, SMAC and MOO2.
Also an avid comic reader and boardgame player. I am the old man who never grew up :lol:
What else can I tell you,- I travel a lot been around the world and been on all continents, and still love to travel to exotic places.
I also love to read sci-fi, and suspense.

I love to build and help friends with computers.
I just build a new box on X99, Intel 5820k, 16 GB DDR4, GPU 680 GTX, Plextor M6e 128 GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD, Samsung 512 GB SSD and 4 TB HDD HGST, Obsidian Series® 450D Case.

Happy gaming all.

Cheers
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

enpi

Postby enpi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:55 pm

hi I am enpi (of course thats not my real name but maybe I rechristen myself some day?) So I am playing 4x games since the 90ties. My fav games have been of course MOO1, MOO2 and MOM. But I also loved civi IV-V, pax imperia and Space Empires III-IV.

My special love was always and is also today to games which are simple to learn, but hard to master. So I am playing Massive Assault Network regularly. I only play turnbased games and never realtime games - not even pausable ones. I also dont like games which have intransparent mechanics and sliders. (eg. MOO3 or Galciv) I learned from SiS through the website Space Sector.

halftea

Postby halftea » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:37 am

Hello all,
I go by the handle of halftea. Like most of the rest of you I have a background in turn-based 4x and strategy games and still play most of them to this day, even if I have to do some of them in an emulator. I first heard about SiS from Arioch's forums, and just now came over for a better look. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.

Return to “General Forum”