I just wonder how to play....

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
desxue

I just wonder how to play....

Postby desxue » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:33 am

I explored to a new sector, and met enemy, then they destroyed my ship in one turn. I even don't know how to build a warship rather than a colony ship. I want a tutorial like Civilization V leading me to enjoy the game.

sven
Site Admin

Re: I just wonder how to play....

Postby sven » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:16 pm

desxue wrote:I explored to a new sector, and met enemy, then they destroyed my ship in one turn. I even don't know how to build a warship rather than a colony ship. I want a tutorial like Civilization V leading me to enjoy the game.

Thanks for posting desxue, and welcome to the forums :) What race did you try playing in your first game? (Most races should have at least one pretty clear starting "warship", but, some factions have weaker/less obvious early-game military options than others.)

As I just told Vierkand, we are planning to put together a more structured tutorial before the game releases. And there are also a few "how to" hints that we'll be adding to the early game. Including some additional instructions on how to build better warships, presented to the player after their first encounter with hostile aliens.

I suspect that one of the hardest part of the new player experience right now may well be the tech tree -- building ships other than scouts \ destroyers requires researching new hulls, and figuring out how to get to those hulls in the tech tree system isn't as easy as it should be. (A significant overhaul of the tech UI is another project that's on our radar.)

Tssha

Postby Tssha » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:52 am

desxue, build some Destroyers. Every race should have them. They're small, cheap, fast and fragile, so you'll want to research better ships soon. A light cruiser should provide you with some added firepower, but the planet needs a Space Station to build one. And not all races get one, but you can research a tougher ship soon enough.

You can access the design window by clicking the crossed wrenches on the ships in the build menu. This should make it easy to figure out which ships are armed, and also allow you to tweak their armaments. You can also design ships through the Escape menu, and create alternate loadouts for each class of ship. Say, if you want to build a boarding destroyer for chasing down enemy ships and taking them over.

But that's more advanced. For now, build destroyers, and try not to run out of metal. ;)

And if you want to wait for the tutorial, that's fine too. Sorry if the above reply is unwanted, but I felt it was best to offer, at least. :)

evil713

Postby evil713 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 am

I would say avoid destroyers. Get a station up and build light cruisers, yes they cost more but they use less metal over there construction than destoyers. If your metal starved build light cruisers

desxue

Postby desxue » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:22 am

sven wrote:
desxue wrote:I explored to a new sector, and met enemy, then they destroyed my ship in one turn. I even don't know how to build a warship rather than a colony ship. I want a tutorial like Civilization V leading me to enjoy the game.

Thanks for posting desxue, and welcome to the forums :) What race did you try playing in your first game? (Most races should have at least one pretty clear starting "warship", but, some factions have weaker/less obvious early-game military options than others.)

As I just told Vierkand, we are planning to put together a more structured tutorial before the game releases. And there are also a few "how to" hints that we'll be adding to the early game. Including some additional instructions on how to build better warships, presented to the player after their first encounter with hostile aliens.

I suspect that one of the hardest part of the new player experience right now may well be the tech tree -- building ships other than scouts \ destroyers requires researching new hulls, and figuring out how to get to those hulls in the tech tree system isn't as easy as it should be. (A significant overhaul of the tech UI is another project that's on our radar.)

I explored the game again these days, and I have got basic skills like building and colonizing.

However, I found some problems or bugs. I can run the game on my old laptop with only 2G RAM, but when I started game on my new computer with 8G RAM it crashed due to out of memory. Other, I want to know that food, metal and industrial point can be used in a planet, a system or all my colonies, just like whether my colonists will die if this planet food production is negative but total production is positive.

Thanks a lot, I really enjoy this game!

desxue

Postby desxue » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:25 am

evil713 wrote:I would say avoid destroyers. Get a station up and build light cruisers, yes they cost more but they use less metal over there construction than destoyers. If your metal starved build light cruisers

I selected orthin, and metal is short all the time even though I build destroyer.

desxue

Postby desxue » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 am

Tssha wrote:desxue, build some Destroyers. Every race should have them. They're small, cheap, fast and fragile, so you'll want to research better ships soon. A light cruiser should provide you with some added firepower, but the planet needs a Space Station to build one. And not all races get one, but you can research a tougher ship soon enough.

You can access the design window by clicking the crossed wrenches on the ships in the build menu. This should make it easy to figure out which ships are armed, and also allow you to tweak their armaments. You can also design ships through the Escape menu, and create alternate loadouts for each class of ship. Say, if you want to build a boarding destroyer for chasing down enemy ships and taking them over.

But that's more advanced. For now, build destroyers, and try not to run out of metal. ;)

And if you want to wait for the tutorial, that's fine too. Sorry if the above reply is unwanted, but I felt it was best to offer, at least. :)

When I built 12 destroyers full of nuclear missiles, easy AI has had green shield and shot down all missiles I launched, then destroyed all my ships without taking damage!

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Didn't find a topic for general UI questions, didn't want to create one for something minor.
Sometimes there is an asterisk ("*") after "Building: something" on planet screen/list - what does it mean?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:16 pm

bjg wrote:Didn't find a topic for general UI questions, didn't want to create one for something minor.
Sometimes there is an asterisk ("*") after "Building: something" on planet screen/list - what does it mean?

It means the build project was set by the AI (which should only happen if you choose to ignored a "production completed" event, or explicitly set the colony to "Auto*" building).

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm

sven wrote:
bjg wrote:Didn't find a topic for general UI questions, didn't want to create one for something minor.

It means the build project was set by the AI (which should only happen if you chose to ignored a "production completed" event, or explicitly set the colony to "Auto*" building).

I never do that (knowingly), and there are too many of them to be something I've overlooked. Uploaded game_865 just in case.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:26 pm

bjg wrote:
sven wrote:

It means the build project was set by the AI (which should only happen if you chose to ignored a "production completed" event, or explicitly set the colony to "Auto*" building).

I never do that (knowingly), and there are too many of them to be something I've overlooked. Uploaded game_865 just in case.

Hrm, yes. The basic problem seems to be that if a planet has started autobuilding something you like (typically, a factory), and you just append to the build queue, rather than changing the production, the "autobuilding" ui-hint is never set back to "player controlled".

I'm not certain we really want to have a an "autobuilding" ui hint anymore -- as autobuild mode, as a feature, is something that we've definitely been scaling back, even if it's not quite entirely retired. Maybe the right fix here is just to take out all the '*' hints. Let me ponder that one a little.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:07 pm

I think it's reasonable to keep a hint, just to help keep track of things, though it might make sense to use a more obvious hint than an asterisk, such as "(auto)" or the automate icon.

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Arioch wrote:I think it's reasonable to keep a hint, just to help keep track of things, though it might make sense to use a more obvious hint than an asterisk, such as "(auto)" or the automate icon.

Than it should work correctly, which currently isn't the case.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:33 pm

bjg wrote:
Arioch wrote:I think it's reasonable to keep a hint, just to help keep track of things, though it might make sense to use a more obvious hint than an asterisk, such as "(auto)" or the automate icon.

Than it should work correctly, which currently isn't the case.

That's obviously important too, but I'm more concerned that you had to ask what the asterisk meant.

Return to “Testing”