How do people feel about mines?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
evil713

How do people feel about mines?

Postby evil713 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:59 am

in, for refrence sake, master of orion 2, you could get a minefield and it would damage ships before combat started, in StarDrive 2 this minefield would be a physical thing on the battlefield, filling the defensive side with homing ordnance that would destroy things like destroyers in a single hit but would rapidly be depleted. Of course in other games like Sword of the Stars there were minelayers that would drop a string of deadly beads in there wake, or the Complex Ordnance Launchers that would fire a cluster of mines where ever it could point.

For all this refrence, keeping in mind only the first game listed was turn based combat and the others real time combat, how would people feel if there was mines/minefields/or minelaying/throwing?

Arioch

Re: How do people feel about mines?

Postby Arioch » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:36 am

Realistically, mines in space don't make very much sense unless you have some way of channeling ships into a very small space. If we had true space lanes, then mining the entrance or exit of a space lane might make sense. But with our current free-form movement, I don't think mines make much sense logically; space is simply too big and mines too easy to avoid.

In gameplay terms, if you think defensive installations aren't strong enough, then they probably should be strengthened rather than introducing a new mechanic like mines.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Arioch wrote:Realistically, mines in space don't make very much sense unless you have some way of channeling ships into a very small space. If we had true space lanes, then mining the entrance or exit of a space lane might make sense. But with our current free-form movement, I don't think mines make much sense logically; space is simply too big and mines too easy to avoid.

In gameplay terms, if you think defensive installations aren't strong enough, then they probably should be strengthened rather than introducing a new mechanic like mines.

I agree, mines don't make sense in space.
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Mines would work in space, but they have to be directional. More like a shotgun and not a wide explosive.

There are also other types of mines.

EMP
ECM
Magnetic

When most people think of a mine they think of
Image or ImageAlmost anything else would mainly be a Turret or missile.

Unless you have like a mine field around a stationary target, but then the target itself would be in danger of the same mine protecting it.

Sighs......ok ok no space mines. :cry:

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm

Well, if you have a fleet or base that is going to be intercepted by a larger invasion fleet then stealth mines do make sense.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Or just have a modifier where ships take a percentage of damage prior to combat?

To give smaller ships a continual use in the game, have smaller ships actually have a bonus to clear mines and lower over all damage before combat?

All of this would be simulated prior to combat.

Unbroken

Postby Unbroken » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Captainspire wrote:Or just have a modifier where ships take a percentage of damage prior to combat?

To give smaller ships a continual use in the game, have smaller ships actually have a bonus to clear mines and lower over all damage before combat?

All of this would be simulated prior to combat.

Hmm. I'm not sure.

I know what I'd do is simply include the smallest number of ships to mitigate that factor, or simply ignore it if I could. For the former option, unless the check had a lot of variables based on firepower, I'd just make the cheapest little ships I could and replace them in a single turn should any of them die.

Instead of having a minefield tech/improvement like the Artemis net in MOO2 (which wasn't all that great in that game), I'd rather see, combined with a larger battlemap, orbital gun emplacements for planets.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:38 pm

I want to go back to the complex ordnance launcher from sword of the stars, which would essentially fire a cluster of mines at an area. What if that was a station, taking up a station slot, it would use munitions thus limiting its effectiveness over time, and have a few light turrets for point defense.

Make it a branch off railguns.

Return to “Testing”