First impressions and some questions

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Awaras

First impressions and some questions

Postby Awaras » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Started playing the beta yesterday, like what I see so far. :D

I had a question regarding weapon mounts. I just researched the first few ships that can mount heavy weapons, and now the icons for my old, small mount weapons in the design screen have changed:

The laser, coilgun and nuclear missiles are now shown as 'bundles' of two each. My guess is that the heavy mounts can mount two of the weapons at the same time, but the damage shown for the double laser in the heavy mount in the top left corner and the single one in the turret below reads the same: 1-10 dmg. Is there a point in mounting small weapons in heavy hardpoints?

Another thing I noticed is that, when targeting an enemy with lasers, the lasers will fire at the part of the enemy ship that you point at with your mouse cursor. Is there a point to this (Can you, for example, target the enemy's weapons or engines in this way) or is it just cosmetic?

Arioch

Re: First impressions and some questions

Postby Arioch » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Awaras wrote:The laser, coilgun and nuclear missiles are now shown as 'bundles' of two each. My guess is that the heavy mounts can mount two of the weapons at the same time, but the damage shown for the double laser in the heavy mount in the top left corner and the single one in the turret below reads the same: 1-10 dmg. Is there a point in mounting small weapons in heavy hardpoints?

Yes. A regular laser mounted in a heavy hardpoint will actually have two weapons that each fire, whereas a heavy laser will only have one.

Awaras wrote:Another thing I noticed is that, when targeting an enemy with lasers, the lasers will fire at the part of the enemy ship that you point at with your mouse cursor. Is there a point to this (Can you, for example, target the enemy's weapons or engines in this way) or is it just cosmetic?

It's just cosmetic.

Awaras

Postby Awaras » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Arioch wrote:Yes. A regular laser mounted in a heavy hardpoint will actually have two weapons that each fire, whereas a heavy laser will only have one.

That makes sense, but I really think that this should be more clearly presented in the ship design window, since right now there is no indication of that other than the visual appearance of the weapon.

Maybe the hardpoint stat in the upper right corner of my screenshot should read 'Laser x 6' instead of 'x 3' to make the difference clear?
Last edited by Awaras on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Awaras

Postby Awaras » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:08 am

A few more observations:

The shields seem a bit too strong, but it might just be me. Maybe I need to invest more into researching new weapons. :D

Why is the ship design button placed in the 'Esc' menu with save/load/options? Wouldn't it be more logical to have a design button somewhere on the main screen?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Awaras wrote:Why is the ship design button placed in the 'Esc' menu with save/load/options? Wouldn't it be more logical to have a design button somewhere on the main screen?

Probably. You can also get into the ship design screen by shift-clicking on a ship in the production menu.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Arioch wrote:
Awaras wrote:Why is the ship design button placed in the 'Esc' menu with save/load/options? Wouldn't it be more logical to have a design button somewhere on the main screen?

Probably. You can also get into the ship design screen by shift-clicking on a ship in the production menu.

Yeah, this is one of those things that has long been on the "too-fix" list, but that those of us who know the hidden hotkey have gotten a bit complacent about it. Right now, we're working on putting in a much needed update for the planet production screens -- replacing the old-shift click designer access is probably something we can do at the same time.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Awaras wrote:Maybe the hardpoint stat in the upper right corner of my screenshot should read 'Laser x 6' instead of 'x 3' to make the difference clear?

Opps :oops: That was indeed the way it worked, in earlier builds. One of the more recent weapon update passes must have broken something. Thanks for pointing this out...

edit: should be patched on 'dev' (r12731).

Return to “Testing”