Hostile environment cost

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Draxx

Hostile environment cost

Postby Draxx » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:16 am

Is there a way to negate the ocean and steppes worlds environmental costs ?

I guess I've tried to mix all types of populations on those worlds, and the cost was never removed.

Is it by design ? A bug ? Did I miss something ?

Thanks in advance :)

[Edit] I got a steppe world with no cost penalty with a standard atmosphere in my current game, so I guess the cost is derived from this. As a consequence, I guess the penalty is tied to the Atmosphere generation tech ? Anyone can confirm ?

Serenitis

Re: Hostile environment cost

Postby Serenitis » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:19 pm

The only way to remove the enviroment costs from hostile planets is to change them to another type.

Arids (including steppe) are a bit of an oddball.
They are they only planet type whch has a sub-type. This being the 'green' variants with thicker atmospheres which have no farming restrictions, higher pop caps and lower environment costs.
As far as I know there's no way to create one of these sub-types with terraforming. They only exist as created by the procgen at the start of the game, and any planet you change to arid yourself will always be the 'base' type with the thin atmosphere (at least I've never seen a green arid be the result of terraforming - I may just be unlucky).

gaerzi

Re: Hostile environment cost

Postby gaerzi » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:58 pm

IIRC "green" arid planets are those that have a dense atmosphere to begin with, so I suppose if you were to terraform a planet with a dense atmosphere to arid, it'd be a "green" one. However, that point is moot because planets with non-thin atmospheres are always better than arid to begin with.

Return to “General Forum”