Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Arioch

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby Arioch » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:00 am

zolobolo wrote:
Arioch wrote:These are the original star concepts:

Very nice :) So the Black Holes were planned from the start just didnt make it into the game yet?

Well, when you're in the concept phase, you throw ideas around. We didn't have any gameplay use cases for black holes at the start, so we didn't put them in initially; it would have been fancy art for a system you couldn't actually visit. We have some ideas now about how to make them useful in gameplay, so I think they would be worth implementing at this point.

We also didn't implement the white dwarf/stellar remnant, because a dead star with dead planets doesn't present a lot of interesting gameplay options.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:42 am

Arioch wrote:it would have been fancy art for a system you couldn't actually visit. We have some ideas now about how to make them useful in gameplay, so I think they would be worth implementing at this point.

We also didn't implement the white dwarf/stellar remnant, because a dead star with dead planets doesn't present a lot of interesting gameplay options.

As far as fancy art for system goes: it could be used to represent the center of the galaxy: super massive black hole just like is theorized to be the case for most galaxies I believe - visual fluff is very usefull in itself but it can mess with balance of coruse if replacing systmes that would otherwise hold "usefull" planets to colonise

Indeed, systems withouth planets are pretty useless the way thigns work corrently but guess this cna change then in a number of ways if you plan to have mobile stations that do not need planets to operate logistics and production, or having other points of interest in systems besides planets such as asteroid fields or nebulas that can be mined/used in other ways

I didnt actually notice that we dont have white dwarfs was just associating it with white-stars

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 am

I consider the "galaxies" in SIS is not the actual galaxy, just the subset of it that's reachable through the hyperspace node network. After all the Milky Way is estimated to contain hundreds of billions of stars, and the furthest you can push SIS is not even 0,000001% of that. So I don't think there's a real need to represent the center of the galaxy.

Planetless systems could be interesting if there orbital slots for a system's star. Then you could use them as fuel depot/logistics relays if nothing else; especially in sparse galaxies where a planetless system might end up being a chokehold between two quadrants. (In dense galaxies, there would be no point for them, though. So IMO they should only appear in large but sparse galaxies.)

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 am

Arioch wrote:We also didn't implement the white dwarf/stellar remnant, because a dead star with dead planets doesn't present a lot of interesting gameplay options.

They could be useful as mining station, for when your empire never manages to get enough metal. Telluric planets stripped down to their metal core, not exactly a place for a colony, but with the proper technologies you could harvest the things.
https://warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pre ... tal_planet

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Having a preference setting so you can default the technology view to the list rather than the tree would be nice; likewise a preference setting so you can default to the planetary build queue being visible. It's a minor thing, but every new session has me swap technology view to list and reveal build queues.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:20 pm

nweismuller wrote:Having a preference setting so you can default the technology view to the list rather than the tree would be nice; likewise a preference setting so you can default to the planetary build queue being visible. It's a minor thing, but every new session has me swap technology view to list and reveal build queues.

Also to fix the option to speed up animation not resetting every time the game is started :)

Serenitis

Postby Serenitis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:54 pm

I was in the process of 'liberating' a planet from it's previous owner, and lost half a dozen marines I had on my boarding ships, plus a pair of population units (which to be fair, I had forgotten about) listed as 'militia'.
It would be really nice to have a check box on the invasion dialog to specify 'use armoured forces only', so any raiders/marines/militia stay on thier ships and let the tanks & mechs handle the work planetside when active.

I think having the choice of marginally less powerful ground forces in exchange for not micromanaging building & loading units that the player might want to stay on thier ships anyway, might be beneficial.

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:03 pm

When a planet is set on city planning, there are other items in the queue after city planning, and the planet reaches maximum population, it would be good if it could switch to the next item in the queue normally instead of sitting on its collective thumbs.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Could we get planet names in Rastaban, Fargone, and Bacabs? It's difficult for me to swallow that the Ashdar Colonials never named their world in thousands of years, and I'd imagine even the Fargone planets would get some names after long enough with Humans hanging around (which, given they've named the system Fargone, seems likely to me). Maybe not on Bacabs, I could actually see the Orthin as the people who refer to their own homeworld as the nth planet from its system primary, but barring that, their system should probably have planet names too. This shouldn't take long to do, and will help make the galaxy 'feel' a little more immersive to me.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 am

nweismuller wrote:Could we get planet names in Rastaban, Fargone, and Bacabs? It's difficult for me to swallow that the Ashdar Colonials never named their world in thousands of years, and I'd imagine even the Fargone planets would get some names after long enough with Humans hanging around (which, given they've named the system Fargone, seems likely to me). Maybe not on Bacabs, I could actually see the Orthin as the people who refer to their own homeworld as the nth planet from its system primary, but barring that, their system should probably have planet names too. This shouldn't take long to do, and will help make the galaxy 'feel' a little more immersive to me.

Fargone is supposed to be just a temporary stop for the nomadic Human fleet, and as you say, the Orthin don't do a lot of stargazing from the bottom of the ocean. I suppose it could make some sense to name the planets in the Rastaban system.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Arioch wrote:Fargone is supposed to be just a temporary stop for the nomadic Human fleet

Shouldnt they then see more systme that the initial one (if they have passed them by)?
Would also be a neat balance outfor their weak starting position (knowing what is around them from the start)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:17 pm

zolobolo wrote:
Arioch wrote:Fargone is supposed to be just a temporary stop for the nomadic Human fleet

Shouldnt they then see more systme that the initial one (if they have passed them by)?
Would also be a neat balance outfor their weak starting position (knowing what is around them from the start)

That would have balance implications, in addition to lore problems. It would essentially eliminate the penalty for not starting with a homeworld (as it would most likely reveal a habitable planet) as well as present the question of why, if they knew about such a planet, hadn't they already colonized it.

The intent is to indicate that Fargone is not their "home."

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 am

Indeed the Humans could not travel hyperspace for a long time correct? So they were travelling around within that single system all along

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 pm

zolobolo wrote:Indeed the Humans could not travel hyperspace for a long time correct? So they were travelling around within that single system all along

You can travel between star systems on sublight engines, it just takes decades to get anywhere.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 am

I propose that Younger Race homeworlds without established Elder Race involvement in their history (i.e. Tendao, Verrold, the Orthin homeworld) be exempted as valid targets for the random event that leads to discovery of a cache of artifacts. I know it always sort of bothers me when Tendao gets artifacts (or rich metals, but that's another issue), and this last game both Tendao and Verrold got artifacts.

Return to “Testing”