Refit Mechanics / UI

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Flakface

Refit Mechanics / UI

Postby Flakface » Sun May 03, 2015 3:48 am

So this is interesting;

Yes, I was playing as humans, just to see what they were like. Everything was going nicely until I wanted to refit my destroyers with missiles instead of laser.

Yes, I know the humans arent done or anything, but I wanted to try.

Anyhow, all of my destroyers disappeared. And then got wasted by some Gremak colonists who were hungry for my humanity.

Uploaded the logs, didn't get any screens since there wasn't anything to show. In case someone else notices it too.
I'm a freelance concept artist. Check out http://artbyjeffro.tumblr.com to see my work!

rattle

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby rattle » Sun May 03, 2015 4:41 am

The refits can be found in the planetary construction list and be built as items.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Flakface wrote:So this is interesting;

Yes, I was playing as humans, just to see what they were like. Everything was going nicely until I wanted to refit my destroyers with missiles instead of laser.

Yes, I know the humans arent done or anything, but I wanted to try.

Anyhow, all of my destroyers disappeared. And then got wasted by some Gremak colonists who were hungry for my humanity.

Uploaded the logs, didn't get any screens since there wasn't anything to show. In case someone else notices it too.

rattle wrote:The refits can be found in the planetary construction list and be built as items.

I think this is all working as intended. Though it's all perhaps more confusing than it needs to be. The basic mechanic is that when you start a refit, the ship disappears from the main map, and won't reappear until the refit is complete. You're allowed to change the planet's production before the refit is done, in which case, the ship will still exist, but, you'll need to switch the planet's production back to that refit project to finish it.

The whole system should become a bit more intuitive when we have a planet production queue in place. And, in fact, once we have a production queue, we could enforcing that rule that ships lined up for a refit always *must* occupy a slot in the queue, and simply show deferred refit projects them in their queue slot, rather than inside the construction item list (which is admittedly a strange place to put them).

rattle

Postby rattle » Thu May 07, 2015 7:10 am

About the disappearing ships and production queue, will the system allow for the production overhead to be applied to multiple items in queue?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu May 07, 2015 4:23 pm

rattle wrote:About the disappearing ships and production queue, will the system allow for the production overhead to be applied to multiple items in queue?

At the moment, the big change we're planning to the refit system is to include an option to refit a ship instantly in exchange for a coin cost. I.e., we're planning add a mechanic that will allow refits to be done in a way similar to unit upgrades in Civ or Alpha Cent. I think this will simplify a lot of the late / midgame bulk refit projects. Right now, it is frustrating, and a bit unreasonable, that refitting 20 destroyers at your main fleet base takes at least 20 turns, and requires a huge pile of micro as well. I think a coin-refit mechanic would largely remove that issue.

By the late game, the production-queue based refit mechanic really only makes thematic sense when the ship you're working on represents a major project for the world that's performing a refit - i.e., if you're upgrading battleship or dread star or something.

rattle

Re: Refit Mechanics / UI

Postby rattle » Thu May 07, 2015 5:42 pm

I've played some StarDrive 2 lately and the way refitting works there is that you can see all your fleets in a window and pick the ships to be refit having a list to the right hand side to pick a design from and these ships go to the next best planet.

Your production output will be applied to the next item in the queue if there's more than necessary, which means you can refit as many as your production allows for.

Dinkelsen

Re: Refit Mechanics / UI

Postby Dinkelsen » Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Whatever you do here, please, please, please include a "refit to class" possibility.

Regards, Stephan

Return to “Testing”