Long Range Tinkers

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Noyyau

Re: Long Range Tinkers

Postby Noyyau » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Despite being surely aware of what recently happened to the Yoral, the Gremak accept an alliance with us. They light of Dzibix spreads, and the Gremak have accepted it.
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

On the northern fringes of Gremak territory, lies Menkent: a large island planet whose orbit is infested by Harpies. Must these pests be everywhere?

An even more importart discovery startles even Dzibix itself: an enormous ancient vessel roams the Ephelos system.

Overkill? The Marauders at Arcusi deserve a special party, they are the last of their kind.
ImageImage

And a great party it was!
ImageImageImageImage

With the Juggernaut now the main missile spammer warship, the Heavy Cruisers are converted to act as point defense gunboats.

Toliman (recently disinfested).

How have these pirates remained untouched up until now baffles me.

An expedition reaches Ephelos and manages to capture the ancient dreadnought.
ImageImage

The ancient vessel, though in damaged condition, is functional enough to be reverse engineered. Its secrets are revealed and absorbed into Dzibix.
ImageImage

Some Gremak willingly ask to be harmonized. Their wishes shall be granted.

Even more Harpies! There's no end to the things.

The Aeveron pirates are captured and studied, tough they prove to be disappointing.

The Orthin are perturbed by one of our scouts. What about the other 4 ?

The Teros lay claim to Ephelos, foolish enough to believe the will of Dzibix to be easily bent.
ImageImage

Ephelos is settled as per Dzibix's will, discovering even more advanced technologies. It would have been a grave mistake to allow the Teros to lay their... claws? on such knowledge.
ImageImageImage

Settled Ephelos 3 too for good measure. Ephelos is owned by the Tinkers.

Immediately more friction arises with the Teros: having lost the race for Ephelos, they attempt to set up an outpost at Aeveron, in reach of Ephelos, which Dzibix allows...
ImageImage

...and immediately we orbit one of our own outposts in the same system. The Teros aren't happy.
ImageImageImage

Having asked politely, the Gremak are allowed to settle Eltanin 1, in one of our systems. It's a small and mineral poor planet, of no value to Dzibix.
ImageImage

Apparently the Arcusi Marauders weren't the last ones, after all.

Hired a mercenary Battlecruiser, just to check it out. Seems a bigger, fatter Command Cruiser.

Reasearch paths suggested by previous Harpy autopsies are finally pursued.
ImageImage

Menkent is purified from Harpy presence. Asteroids armed with Vindicators are devastating against the Harpies.
ImageImage

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:05 am

Apparently yet another clan of Marauders had managed to remain hidden.

Rasalhague cleared of the Harpy infestation.
ImageImage

Menkent settled.

Why limit ourselves to the EM spectrum?

Once again more Harpies arrive at a recently cleared system, seemingly out of nowhere.
ImageImageImage

Battle Mechs. To better stomp on those weak organics!

As the Yoral before them, the Gremak finally understand the only true path to enlightment.
ImageImage

All mercenaries are dismissed, as now Gremak ships can be built. Though even the Command Cruisers are not necessary anymore, Carriers with Distortion Generators being available.
ImageImage

The former Gremak fleet had gathered at Tyl, for some unfathomable reason. Perhaps they had realized what was about to happen and were attempting to flee?

Inevitably, the weak Gremak masses protest, fear gripping their feeble biological minds. Mass population movement begins, to bring them closer to Dzibix.

The organics, being weak flesh, are subdued and harmonized.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Acrux is the last known Harpy-infested system. An appropriate expedition is mustered. Has it already been mentioned that Vindicators on asteroids are devastating?
ImageImageImageImage

The "Steward" specimen is studied and its processes adapted for our starships. An investigation is launched into the origin of the Harpies.
ImageImageImage

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Even Dzibix itself is baffled by what happens when probes are sent into the recently identified hyperspace anomalies.
ImageImageImageImage

Acrux settled. The ancients sure were technologically advanced.
ImageImage

"Spare" metal (no metal is surplus, all metal is for Dzibix) is given to the Orthin, since they asked politely.

Taribor is recaptured and the Tarib revolt put down. Pity that such useful creatures cannot be brought into Dzibix's Harmony.

The real last Marauders at Dubhe are sternly invited to join their Gremak brethren in Dzibix's Harmony.

Meanwhile, as our attention was on Harpy clearing and glorious Harmonization, the fleet was being slowly assembled to, finally, renew the forceful harmonization of the Phidi. And just as the fleet was assembled, the Phidi moved their own fleet away...
ImageImageImageImage

Dzibix wills it.

Battle at Seralta.
ImageImageImageImage

Tendao falls.

Mirfak system acquired. I wonder why the Phidi didn't colonize Wremmit.
ImageImageImage

Drak invaded.

After a few short intense turns of war, the Phidi beg for peace: Dzibix is pleased with the successful blitzkrieg.
Dziblitz!

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Overview of the systems obtained in the latest Phidi peace treaty.

Atria

Gebal: infested by Viscids (no wonder the Phidi gave the place away).

Harmonization is swift.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Star gates are now a reality, not merely legends from ages past. Each colonized system shall have its gate.
ImageImage

First revolt on Gebal (intentionally left non-harmonized). Surprisingly, the revolt fails: the Viscids are such a nuisance that the revolution quite literally mires itself in the little squishy buggers.

More surplus populatioN is delivered to Gebal, to "encourage independence".

Remember when the Juggernaut seemed impossibly massive, and then the Super Dreadnought was discovered and reverse engineered? Apparently, there's always something bigger.

A second Gebal revolt is unsuccessful.

Did the Phidi really think we'd stop?

Captain's Spire is now Dzibix's Spire.
ImageImageImageImage

Dziblitz!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Captured Mercenary ships are reverse engineered.
ImageImage

Third unsuccessful revolt on Gebal. This is getting ridiculous.

The last Phidi planets fall quickly.
ImageImage

The Phidi are eliminated join glorious Dzibix.

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Unexpected revolt on Mandir 2. The Taribs sure are feisty!

Mass harmonizations of the formerly Phidi planets.

Mandir 2 is quickly recaptured, this time Battle Mechs are left as garrison.

Even more surplus population is delivered to Gebal. Hopefully they'll finally manage to overcome those Viscid pests.

Meanwhile, the Orthins eliminate the Humans (who had been relegated to a single system for a while now).

Overview of current Tinker territory.

The Orthin keep asking to move our scouts. I guess that, living near undersea vents, they don't know what a fly is.

The metal that had been given to the Orthin now returns to Dzibix (albeit at a steep price).

The Orthin bomb independent Spica: it used to be a Yoral colony that, after the annexation, revolted and became independent. At the time it wasn't worth the effort to recapture, as more pressing concerns occupied the available troopships. By the time attention could be spared for Spica, the Orthin had set up an outpost in the system. To avoid possible diplomatic repercussions, the place was left alone.

Dzibix scoffs at this ineffectual Council.

The Orthin ask for a loan, it is granted in exchange for refueling rights at their colonies.
ImageImage

Research into Temporal Fields, hinted at in the ruins of Acrux, is completed. Expensive refits begin soon after.
ImageImage

Eltanin is struck by a natural disaster.

Gebal finally revolts successfully. Orbital bombing and resettling is a relief for the long-waiting flotilla in orbit.
ImageImageImage

Personal shields.

Dzibix suddenly hungers for MORE METAL.
ImageImageImage

All that metal had to go somewhere. There's 5 of these fleets.

And, as soon as the new fleets are ready, a new devastating weapon is developed!

Back to the shipyard!
ImageImage

Multiple Tarib revolts, despite Battle Mech garrisons. The revolutionaries are quickly subdued, as there's plenty of troopships available while the final refits are ongoing.
ImageImageImageImage

Finally all refits are completed and the fleets can move towards their assigned staging areas.

That's just useless.

I can probably stop researching at this point, but let's have fun with the end of the tech tree.

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 am

Finally, after endless refits (and lazy procastination on my part), the "Dziblitz" fleets are assembled at their assigned staging points. Care to guess who will soon be invaded shown the light of Dzibix?
(Two more fleets are also reaching their destinations, slowly (compared to Star Gates) travelling across Orthin space).

I really hope this isn't the Teros main fleet. It would be... disappointing.

The invasion Great Teros Harmonization begins!

A Teros news broadcast would probably be something like this: "Blatant and unprovoked Tinker aggression at Nunki: WAR!! Will the Orthin intervene for galactic peace or do they fear the Tinkers too?"

One of the first actions of the war is to depopulate Castor II. Generally all small and non-arid planets with minimal population will be cleansed. At this point they're just a nuisance, too much hassle managing them, for little gain.

Nunki II is the first Teros planet invaded brought closer to Dzibix.

Teros outposts in uninhabited systems are captured (when I can be bothered) or outright destroyed. The main objective is to deny range to the Teros.

Now this looks like a serious fleet!

Alunar I conquered.

Azimir glassed.

Standard procedure for all conquered planets (Nunki II as the first example): rush a Machine Altar for quick Harmonization, next build is a Star Gate.

Alkaid III conquered.

Dinkelsen II conquered.

Alunar I and Alkaid III harmonized.

Wait, what's that "Destroy" option down there?
*click*
Sweeeeet!

Dinkelsen I depopulated, Dinkelsen II harmonized.

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 am

The first Star Gate in former Teros territory is activated at Nunki.

Endgame toys, arriving too late to be used.

Hoping for an epic battle at Avior, but the Teros disappointigly retreat.

Avior IV and Yrth II invaded.

Delan II sterilized.

Playing with terraforming. Bein, the barren first planet at Verrold, is terraformed to arid.

The Orthin join the war against the Teros, on our side. I suppose they have finally understood that Dzibix will inevitably prevail.

The Alrakis II invasion surprisingly fails: half of the defending population died, I guess our Battle Mechs ran out of ammunition at some point. Or even depleted their power sources by stomping on the desperate Teros.

More useless Teros colonies cleansed.

While it might have been interesting to wage a war against the technologically advanced Orthin, at this point I just want to finish the game. Plus, they actually like me! It's be impolite to attack them.

The Teros have already lost about half of their territory.

Yrth I glassed, Yrth II harmonized. Pity that the Spice Mongers cannot be harmonized.

Delan I blasted.

The Dziblitz is unstoppable.

Noyyau

Postby Noyyau » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:37 pm

The Orthin ask for emergency food shipments: we have plenty from the yet to be replaced former Teros farms. And it's not like we need it anyway.

The Teros fleet keeps retreating, or at least it seems to do so. I suspect it's actually me conquering too fast: by the time the Teros fleet reaches its intended retreat destination, my forces have already conquered it and, I guess, they find themselves beyond their new (reduced) range, automatically forced to retreat further back.
Either that, or they do immediately run away from my fleet, and I don't even get the option to attack them while they are in system that turn.

The Dziblitz proceeds unstoppable.

An Orthin fleet joins us at Antares.

The Antares system is acquired for Dzibix.

Finally, the Teros fleet is intercepted and cornered at Zakblood. All they can do is damage a couple of Juggernauts. Their fate is final. Dzibix hungers for their metal.

The Teros fleet destroyed, the Zakblood system is integrated into Dzibix.

Dzibix reaches Rastaban, the Teros capital. Rastaban III is rapidly acquired, the capital itself left for last.

Diphda I harmonized.

The Orthin end their war against Teros. Not that the Teros have anything left to be conquered, anyway.

Rastaban III is harmonized, and the Teros capital (and last remaining planet) is conquered. Dzibix prevails.

Apparently the Teros still have one last outpost somewhere, which keeps them nominally in play. However, they are willing to cede it for a peace treaty...

...aaaand the Teros are no more.

All is Dzibix, or soon shall be. The harmonization of the Orthin would have been just a matter of patience until their request for annexation.
Dzibix prevails.
Dzibix IS.

Endgame graphs.

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:19 pm

And this horrible fate of galactic genocide and stroggification is why I always destroy the Tinkers -- at least when I'm not playing them. :mrgreen:

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 am

Last couple of posts was a terrifying reading. IMHO, racial hate should be given more emphasis in faction relations. Hope, the new "hate the rising power" mechanic will make life harder for merciless conquerors.

Centurion XXI

Postby Centurion XXI » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 am

Я один такой "извращенец"? Всегда играю за жестянщиков 8) И никогда не начинаю войны первым.

Am I the only such "pervert"? I always play for the tinkers 8) And I never start a war first.

Return to “General Forum”