Mod: Tweaks to Happiness for minor races

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
akkamaddi

Mod: Tweaks to Happiness for minor races

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Tweaks to Happiness
This is a very small mod started on another thread. It gives several small morale tweaks to the minor races, making them respond differently than just another "generic pop unit". It can cause some challenge early in the game, adding a new layer of social strategy, but this tends to get washed out as advanced social techs are researched.

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xnwms954vfcewya/happiness.zip/file

INSTRUCTIONS
There are only two lua files here, and not graphics.

To install this, while the game is closed, copy the two folders in the ZIP file (each contains one file) into the folder

\Stars in Shadow\Mods\Lua state

in the game folder. Start the game, and it will run using these two files.

It is save game complaint, but keep in mind that some planets may experience sudden unrest. Gaia will be different.

CHANGES

I made a point to only change the minor races to give them flavor. A single change was made to a faction race.

Humans
In the official code, both refugees and humans (currently only humans are refugees) receive a +20 happiness bonus when the planet action is City Planing. In this change, refugees get a +20 happiness bonus, while colonial humans get a +10 happiness bonus (with different text). City Planing can no longer be used to instantly pacify an uprising human colony.

And the minor races:
(Actual mechanics not posted here.)

Lummox
Thresher
Being primitives, they cannot fully benefit from markets. There is a small reduction on the effectiveness of Markets for these races.
Farms make them happy, as they know they will always have food.

Scavenger
While the economic benefits of markets are reduced on the Scavenger home world, because they steal, markets still make them quite happy, because there is so much to steal.
Scavengers are also afraid of research structures, as they fear the destruction from the past will be repeated.

Tarib
Tarib get a small happiness boot per mine on the planet, because they get yummy munchies.

Spice Monger
Spice mongers get bonus on the effect of Markets, making them a weaker version of Phidi.

Gaiad
Essentially, the Gaiad don't want you on Gaia, get unhappy with nearly everything you do, and are difficult to please. Factories make them unhappy, and they loathe Mines. Gaiad also dislike the destructive consumerism of Markets, and they take a hit in effectiveness. They do like farms, though. Early in the game, it will be very easy to trigger a Gaiad uprising.

Pell
Pell dislike the pollution caused by factories.

Algorian
The Algorians are easy to anger on first contact. Unlike other primitive races, Algorians receive full bonuses from Markets, as their gift-giving social structure lets them buy greater social clout. They also receive a flat, non-scaling bonus for having one or more Farms on the planet, and an extra bonus for having at least one Market on the planet.
Conversely, the Algorians also have an innate penalty to happiness, as they seem to collect grievance as some sort of social clout. This makes Algorians seem unstable in any socially demanding environment, and they can be prone to uprising if not given something to make them happy.

---
Any corrections, comments, or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone find this useful enough, it can be bundled into any composite mods. (I would appreciate attribution, thank you.)

UPDATES:
20190818 - Posting day, and of course I found a minor error immediately. The Algorian Farm morale even had the Market tag. This has no effect on game play, but has been corrected. (The tiny hover box said "Markets" instead of "Farms".)
Last edited by akkamaddi on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

akkamaddi

Re: Mod: Tweaks to Happiness for minor races

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:46 pm

The mechanics:

Spoiler: show
Lummox: -2 effect on markets, +1 morale per farm.

Thresher: -2 effect on markets, +1 morale per farm.

Scavenger: -4 effect on markets, but then +2 morale for markets. -2 morale per lab.

Tarib: +1 morale per mine.

Spice Monger: +3 on the effect of Markets.

Gaiad:
-4 effect on markets
-2 morale per fectory
-4 morale per mine
+2 morale per farm

Pell: -2 morale per factory.

Algorian: Markets as normal, and a flat +2 morale for having one or more market on the planet.
Flat +2 morale bonus for having one or more farm on the planet.
Easily Offended - a rough implementation of "Capricious", the Algorians seek grievance as a way to demand gifts and leverage social clout. While they are simply trying to establish a social order and give the other a chance to prove themselves, it comes across to other races as looking for offense, made worse by their ability to hold a grudge.

Kornstalx

Postby Kornstalx » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:46 am

I really want to use this, but comparing its coin_production.lua to the current version looks like the patch changed many things. I'm not 100% sure which lines are exclusively from the mod, and am remiss to attempt a manual merger. Any chance of an update?

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:23 pm

please keep in mind that it is not my mod so I might be wrong, but if you want to give it a try I think this is all you need to add

Code: Select all

race_improvement_morale_bonuses.spice_monger.markets, 
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.scavenger.markets, 
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.gaiad.markets,   
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.lummox.markets,   
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.thresher.markets,

after this line in vanilla coin_production.lua

race_improvement_morale_bonuses.phidi.markets,

given you have variables properly setup in modded file RaceIssues.lua
How did YOU get a key? All right, go in.

Kornstalx

Postby Kornstalx » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:31 am

siyoa wrote:please keep in mind that it is not my mod so I might be wrong, but if you want to give it a try I think this is all you need to add

race_improvement_morale_bonuses.spice_monger.markets, 
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.scavenger.markets, 
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.gaiad.markets,   
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.lummox.markets,   
race_improvement_morale_bonuses.thresher.markets,

after this line in vanilla coin_production.lua

race_improvement_morale_bonuses.phidi.markets,

given you have variables properly setup in modded file RaceIssues.lua

Thank you!

Return to “Modding”