Population Panel Mod

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
harpy eagle

Population Panel Mod

Postby harpy eagle » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 am

This was actually originally a part of siyoa's UI mod, but I figured I should make it available here as a stand-alone mod in case anyone wanted it.

It adds a new side panel, the "Population Report" that shows all of the different species on each planet in your empire. The buttons and mini-planets in the side bar can be clicked on to quickly transfer population between planets, so it is a great tool to easily manage population transfers even when you have a very large empire. The population report is accessed by clicking on a new icon in the game's top bar, which also shows the total population of your empire.

UPDATE:

13 Nov 18 - Sorting now works properly
10 Dec 18 - Added Unrest sorting that sorts planets at risk of revolt to the top.
Attachments
PopReport.zip
(108.49 KiB) Downloaded 1396 times
Last edited by harpy eagle on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CapnDarwin

Re: Population Panel Mod

Postby CapnDarwin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Nice Mod. Only issue I have with it is the sorting does not work. I am on the Dev branch.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks, I did find the pop screen very usefull but like to do my own system/planet rename so picked up this one. Also great to see the overall pop number on the top bar and :)

Sorting also doesn't work here but am also on Steam dev branch - not big a deal though, woul probably only use the planet type categorisation to spread out pops to their optimal biomes

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:15 pm

yeah sorting is for some reason borked ... hey look, it's winter again, time for hibern.... err, computer games 8-)
How did YOU get a key? All right, go in.

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 am

The broken sorting seems to be due to the get_planet_list() function being shadowed by the one for the production panel... time to look up what UI_File does again since I thought these things would be in their own environment.

Oh well fixed by making it local.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks, filtering is working now

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:55 pm

How is this not in the game.Much needed mod.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 am

Question: would it make sense to place metal resource right next to coin instead of at the end of the "resources" icons after pop?

Since the two most relevant figures on hte strategic map are coin and metal, these would probably make sense to be placed right at the beginning

Next comes food as far as priority goes and then pop and production as last
I only use the production icon to bring up the colonies list myself which is quite similar to the usage of pops icon so again would make sens to have these two togehter (the other icons only give a short overview of the largest contributors in details)

The downside might be that placing proction in the middle of the overall menu might result in some new player missing the feature of colonies production list alltogether though this would only be a possibility if integrated into vanila like above mentioned)

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 am

I would love to have this function in the original game. This shouldnt be a mod. Cant you talk to the Devs and incorporate it into the game?

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:01 pm

I think it was mentioned somewhere that there were plans to overhaul the planet production report into a kind of empire-wide management interface, that would probably include what this mod does. In the meantime though if sven wants to merge this into the base game with any adjustments deemed necessary I'm all for it.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Would it be possible to mod a sort category in the panel where planets are shown in descending order of revolt probabiltiy?

Would make it easy to identify top rebelling planets within large empires when things get turbulent

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:37 pm

It's a very simple thing to add, I've updated the attachment in the OP. I haven't tested it though, other than making sure the game starts.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:53 pm

harpy eagle wrote:It's a very simple thing to add, I've updated the attachment in the OP. I haven't tested it though, other than making sure the game starts.

Thanks, works like a charm :)

nathanebht

Postby nathanebht » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:35 am

This mod is useful and works with the in dev version. Thanks for making it harpy eagle.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Can this mod be integrated into vanilla if harpy eagle approves?
Would be useful to manage pop distribution and find available ground troops for invasions

Ideally directly into the planetary report so there is no additional menu taking up space at the top of the UI

Return to “Modding”