Using the Combat, Economy and Research Path AI Mods

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
harpy eagle

Re: Using the Combat, Economy and Research Path AI Mods

Postby harpy eagle » Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 pm

zolobolo wrote:Just missing the various ground units that would give the mechs their scale... there are a few occasions where tanks pop up but not too often it seems and the game probably comes down to mechs duking it out 99% of the time, which is too bad. If they had some merc commandos and tank squadrons to command as well I would be all over that game. I think it was MW5 (Vengeance) where you had a couple of missions where tanks, bombers and armored troop transports were involved and those were always my favorite as you could actually see and feel the tactical purpose and role of the mechs :)

Yeah the 'scale' used in the battletech universe always bothered me a bit for a similar reason.

I kind of wish there were more games set in the heavy gear universe, if you've heard of it. In that setting, mechs are the best balance of mobility and firepower (taking on the equivalent role of MBT in modern warfare) and are the main focus of the game. But if you really want to carry heavy weapons and armour, you put it on treads.

https://battlemind.files.wordpress.com/ ... f-army.jpg

zolobolo

Re: Using the Combat, Economy and Research Path AI Mods

Postby zolobolo » Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 am

harpy eagle wrote:I kind of wish there were more games set in the heavy gear universe, if you've heard of it. In that setting, mechs are the best balance of mobility and firepower (taking on the equivalent role of MBT in modern warfare) and are the main focus of the game. But if you really want to carry heavy weapons and armour, you put it on treads.

I was just thinking at this game when I was writing about MechWarrior :)

It got great reviews due to these reason but never got around to play it as I went with Battlezone (the first PC version) instead... and I did not regret the decision as that game has scratched my tactical+strategic itch. The scale was so much so felt there that you literally piloted the awesome hardware yourself while dozens of foot soldiers were swarming out of the troop carriers around you and you could at any time jump out of the vehicle and join them with an assault rifle. Ironically the only thing BZ did not do justice for were mechs as they were the only unbalanced unit there: highest firepower with the least mobility... I mean who would slap legs to something if it makes it the slowest thing on the battlefield? It would literally make more sense to make the gun deployable and pull it to its destination...

But yeah, the universe in Heavy Gear seems more fleshed out tactics wise then that of MechWarrior - the miniatures also look awesome.
If you like miniatures and mechs though I am sure you have already landed in the Warhammer universe. You got all the possible unit types there the puny human mind can think of and much effort has been made to make that universe consistent - don't play the miniatures myself but love Dawn of War (the first and only the first one). If you have that, give the Ultimate Apocalypse mod a go it is awesome and has great titan action ;)

Return to “Modding”