Stars in Shadow Modding Support

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
Arioch

Stars in Shadow Modding Support

Postby Arioch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:52 am

See this page for a primer: http://stars-in-shadow.com/modding.html

akkamaddi

Re: Stars in Shadow Modding Support

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 am

Two important questions, as I really need to be getting done with my work on this.

1) I have the DLC. So, files I package will be +Legacies files. Obviously I am only packaging limited files. Would this be an issue? If so, I would I get a set of base game files? (I'm designing it to make it easy to merge the data into existing game files, with the explicit suggestion everyone do so, so that the player gets the content whatever latest version of whatever they have. I just want to know if posting DLC-inclusive files is a no-no.)

2) I'm trying to put together an attribution file for the public domain images from which I have taken pieces. (If you don't require this, you may want to do so for your own protection.) I'll also include a "SiS isn't mine" statement, but is there anything you specifically require for legal reasons?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 am

akkamaddi wrote:1) I have the DLC. So, files I package will be +Legacies files. Obviously I am only packaging limited files. Would this be an issue? If so, I would I get a set of base game files? (I'm designing it to make it easy to merge the data into existing game files, with the explicit suggestion everyone do so, so that the player gets the content whatever latest version of whatever they have. I just want to know if posting DLC-inclusive files is a no-no.)

The DLC doesn't change any of the game's Lua files. (Tinkers can appear as AI factions for players without the DLC -- so all the Tinker-specific scripting has actually been included as a part of the base game, since the DLC launched). Thus, as long as what you're packaging is a mod of content in the Lua state\ subdir, you should be safe to distribute your mod to both DLC and non-DLC players, without causing any compatibility issues.

akkamaddi wrote:2) I'm trying to put together an attribution file for the public domain images from which I have taken pieces. (If you don't require this, you may want to do so for your own protection.) I'll also include a "SiS isn't mine" statement, but is there anything you specifically require for legal reasons?

As a practical matter, we don't really have much ability to 'vet' player mods, mods are currently shared direct from player to player, and that means it's difficult for us to police mod content. That said, I'd strongly encourage any modders to include a CREDITS section in their mod docs that gives attribution for any third-party content. (And If/when we get a steamworks modding community or something similar up and running, that "strong encouragement" may well become a true requirement.)

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Something I'm running into a lot is that I need to check if a ship is enemies with the current_side(). But I can't call enemies() with current_side() as an argument, both arguments have to be ships. It's really annoying to have to loop through current_sides_ships() to get a ship just to use for calling enemies(), plus then I have to handle the case where the current side doesn't have any ships (it happens).

It would be really nice if enemies() could accept an empire as an argument, so you could do things like call enemies(ship, current_side())

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Also, any reason why find_min_facing_move_L2() can't take a tracking object as it's second argument?

edited by sven: No, there doesn't appear to be:) (Already answered this in another thread)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 pm

harpy eagle wrote:It would be really nice if enemies() could accept an empire as an argument, so you could do things like call enemies(ship, current_side())

It's slightly awkward, but I believe you can call

Code: Select all

Battle.enemy(ship.empire,current_side())

to do checks of this sort.

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am

Far less awkward than having to cache some known friendly object in order to do the check. Thanks!

Return to “Modding”