epic_systems.lua question

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
akkamaddi

epic_systems.lua question

Postby akkamaddi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 am

Sadly, the question is "how do I make it work?".

At first glance, it seemed like the forced_planets, in that you just add things and it happens.

That seems to not be the case. I have tried to add a start to epic_systems in both the mods folder and even in the live Lua State. I named the star XXXXXX to make it easy to find.

The star does not appear on the map. I've used F1 to look for an error, but nothing. The star name does not appear in the galaxy.lua save file.

Do systems in epic_systems have to be referenced elsewhere?

Thank you.

sven
Site Admin

Re: epic_systems.lua question

Postby sven » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:53 pm

akkamaddi wrote:The star does not appear on the map. I've used F1 to look for an error, but nothing. The star name does not appear in the galaxy.lua save file.

epic_systems.lua defines a deck of epic systems that *may* be dealt during the start of a game. So, if you add another system to the deck, there's no guarantee that it will be generated in a given map. For testing purposes, you can remove, say, Tyl from the deck, which I believe will leave you in a situation where your XXXXXXX system will always be generated in new games.

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:09 am

Epic Systems is now working. I have two systems in it.

I have to find some of the files I found earlier which looked like a good start. I really don't want the ships to be a splinter but this to be a "finders keepers" situation. I saw this as finding barely functional derelicts.

I'm also curious, would it be possible to have a Warp Well type effect tied to a star system?

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 am

And if I could make a suggestion, the ability to add an HSA system through the epic systems file, and put planets in it, would be interesting.

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 pm

This is just a note for any that follow in something like this.

First off, the generic "species found" event (the text of which is in RACES.lua) does not trigger with Epic Systems planets. You have to create planet and star events to replace them.

Second, apparently the events are baked in to the system when the map is created. A trap I fell into is that if you add or significantly change an event, you can't test it until you make a new map.

Insert "The More You Know" bumper here.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Modding”