To get to this point....

A place for discussion of making game modifications.
sven
Site Admin

Re: To get to this point....

Postby sven » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:44 am

akkamaddi wrote:I think I got it. Thank you.

Yup, it sounds like you have indeed absorbed all the necessary dark knowledge. The cruel truth here though is that what you actually now understand is the basic architecture for the system for building recolorable starship assets -- it's the ship art that actually needs the whole build system. There's actually no terribly good reason for the PopIcon art to be built at all; had my whims been slightly different when coding it all up, they'd probably just be plain PNGs, and thus far easier to mod :(

(Though while modders suffer under the current architecture, the plus side is that if Arioch and I ever do think of a good reason to start applying procedural palette shifts to pop icons, doing so will be relatively easy.)

akkamaddi

Re: To get to this point....

Postby akkamaddi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:35 am

sven wrote:(Though while modders suffer under the current architecture, the plus side is that if Arioch and I ever do think of a good reason to start applying procedural palette shifts to pop icons, doing so will be relatively easy.)

And...

Two simultaneous Orthin empires.

Reason, done. If the game ever becomes multiplayer, even hot-seat style, that will become very useful.

Return to “Modding”