Question: planetary defence 2 and 3

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
PrivateHudson

Question: planetary defence 2 and 3

Postby PrivateHudson » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am

For the first time in almost 2 years of playing SiS, I built planetary defence 2 and 3 (quite expensive techs, you know). And was shocked by the fact that they aren't cumulative, the latter simply replaces the former in combat! Is it really working as intended, or it's a bug? Still can't believe that I got it right. Planetary defences in SiS are impotent enough even without this "downplaying".

gaerzi

Re: Question: planetary defence 2 and 3

Postby gaerzi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:00 pm

It works as it's described, so yeah, it's as intended.

Though I agree planetary defenses could do with a little boost. Perhaps more slots could be added for each upgrade; it's a planet, there's a lot of room.

Serenitis

Postby Serenitis » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:02 pm

In all honesty, I only ever bothered with defences 2 & 3 in my first few games then ignored them entirely.
They're fairly expensive researches (not just in themselves, but pre-requisites), take up industrial time/capacity to build that could be used for more ships, and aren't all that effective for the effort they require.

Having each stage grant you 2 slots might be something to look at.

Alternatively, keep the 2,1,1 progression, but later stages might increase the capacity of all the slots.
eg: For stage 1 each slot can hold 7 missile launchers. Stage 2 might increase that to 9. And stage 3 to 12.

Alternatively, keep the 2,1,1 progression, but later stages also add 'extra' slots of a particular type.
eg: Stage 1 adds 2 general purpose slots. Stage 2 adds 1 GP slot + 1 shield slot. Stage 3 adds 1 GP slot + 1 siege slot.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Wouldn't it be easier and more intuitive to just give the player what he has built? Built PD1 - got 2 slots of whatever he chooses. Built PD2 - another 3 slots, to 5 total. PD3 - plus 4 more, 9 in total.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 pm

Maybe it was done to simplify the reconfiguration of the defense systems: the current system the reconfig of the entire PD at the same place
If there were several segregated PD slots, they would all need to be reconfigured separately

Though I am not quite sure that reconfig is meant as a feature at all and is not an exploit, it sure saves time during the regular upgrades after new tech is researched

You also only need to build PD once on a planet not 3 times if I recall correctly and you will get all the slots: if these were three differnt buildings they would also logically need to be built x3

I dont think this system is bad, maybe could be communicated better but otherwise its clear that the higher tiers provide additional slots thats it.
Maybe the tech can be called PD infrastructure expansion and state how many adiitional slots it provides?

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 am

zolobolo wrote:You also only need to build PD once on a planet not 3 times if I recall correctly and you will get all the slots: if these were three differnt buildings they would also logically need to be built x3
Nope. Has to build 3 different buildings. Why it's so embarrassing.

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 am

Yeah, they work like factories and farms and the rest, each slot has to be built separately. Except there's only one type of building that can be built.

Jeff Clay

Postby Jeff Clay » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm

Maybe drop the pd slots and make pd build able like the other buildings in normal slots. So you can choose if your planet has more infrastructure or defense. An industrial world or a military fortress.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 am

Ok that is confusing (needing to build it again) but at the same time upgrading at the same place

It does make senese in that there is an addiiotnal production cost for the actual upgrade itself but is not a nupgrade but a construction of a "new" improvement so yeah...

If production cost would be assigned to upgrading the PD, that would prevent refitting it so again I can see they were forced into this constealltion with the given mechanics

A clean approach would be 3 different buildings with their own slots but hten you need to also refit 3 individual buildings each time trippling the micro MGMT for this function

Or: Just name the PD contruction of higher tiers "upgrade" and clearly mark it as variant of the PD Improvmenet icon. ITs not a refit like refitting a ship but an upgrade of existing Infrastructure. I know tht improvements are auto-upgraded in similar cases but this is clearly the exception and maybe it wouldnt confuse people that much :)

Return to “General Forum”