Great Moments in Pacifism

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
nweismuller

Great Moments in Pacifism

Postby nweismuller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 am

In today's lesson on Great Moments in Pacifism...

The Phidi Combine had no desire but to live in mutually profitable friendship with its neighbors, and avoided entanglements that might tie it to military obligations. Its first contacts had been the Orthin Directorate and the Ashdar Empire, with the New Ashdar Republic and the Yoral Khaganate somewhat farther out. Suddenly, the Yoral Khaganate launches an attack, taking advantage of the relatively weak Phidi fleet, but through liberal use of mercenaries, the Phid manage to stabilise the lines. Now, the only way the Yoral had the range to attack all the places they were headed was an open ports agreement with the Orthin Directorate. But the Phidi did not wish to risk their friendship with the Orthin, even with the ongoing (and mostly empty) war between the Orthin and the New Ashdar Republic which the Teros Ashdar had urged the Phidi to become involved in even before the Yoral War.

That was before the Yoral called the Orthin Directorate the High Command of the scattered Human fleet into the war, suddenly greatly increasing the force rallied against the Phidi. In desperation, the Phidi Combine approached both of the Ashdar nations, concluding an alliance with them... which brought them into contact with the Tinkers, between the New Republic and the Humans, on friendly terms with the Ashdar. And so the alliance spread to the Tinkers. So, as it has happened, the Phidi are at the very center of a new Great War that involves almost every major star nation in the region, all stemming from their desire to maintain peace and friendship.

Great moments in pacifism!

harpy eagle

Re: Great Moments in Pacifism

Postby harpy eagle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 am

Sounds like they did what they had to do to survive in the face of aggression.

I really like the new diplomacy, I think it's step in the right direction. At the very least, the new logic for how AI decides to declare wars and make alliances really fills in an aspect of the game that was missing before.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:38 am

Well, to be clear, I am the Phidi in this story. Just funny how I've gotten wrapped up at the very center of a new Great War. :lol:

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:19 am

...and they all lived happily ever after. Except the ones who are dead.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 am

Who do you think you are, GLaDoS?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:21 am

nweismuller wrote:Who do you think you are, GLaDoS?

I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 am

And I neither broke your heart nor killed you... and certainly didn't tear you to pieces, and throw every piece into a fire.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 pm

On a more serious note, it might be valuable to write up new notification messages for when somebody declares war on you because of a request from another star nation. "There will be war!" isn't all that informative- but the fact that the Humans declared war without even having contact sort of informed me what was going on there.

DanTheTerrible

Postby DanTheTerrible » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:47 pm

A pox on you people for making intriguing references to a game I've never played. You haven't just made me waste time looking up the references, you've convinced me I need to play the demented thing. Who has time, when the galaxy has not yet learned to appreciate the benefits of my rule?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Portal is a really outstanding game. And it's not long.

Return to “General Forum”