Graphic bug makes game almost unplayable

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
RenFaireMan

Graphic bug makes game almost unplayable

Postby RenFaireMan » Wed May 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello,

Big fan of the game, very fun. Recently did an update to my video card drivers and now the game looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/hjVgtTc.jpg

As you can see, all the star systems are covered with a large black rectangle, unless I focus on a system and then it's a large black rectangle AND a large square box that block everything.

If I zoom out quite a ways, the black boxes vanish. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, rebooting, cursing, Google Search, more cursing, re-uninstalling the game (because the first uninstall seemed to leave a lot of files behind) & installing again. Running out of ideas.

Note: I'm playing through Steam.

sven
Site Admin

Re: Graphic bug makes game almost unplayable

Postby sven » Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 pm

RenFaireMan wrote:Recently did an update to my video card drivers and now the game looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/hjVgtTc.jpg

What graphics card do you have? (If I can get the bug replicating on one of my own test machines, I may be able to find a workaround for that specific card/driver.)

RenFaireMan

Postby RenFaireMan » Thu May 03, 2018 1:15 am

AMD Radeon HD 7900. I'll try to revert to an older driver and see if the problem goes away.

RenFaireMan

Postby RenFaireMan » Thu May 03, 2018 5:11 pm

I reverted to an older version of the graphic driver and the game worked fine, so it isn't the game...but the (beta, use at your own risk) graphic driver. Game on!

Time to work on making Humans viable.....need that achieve.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm

RenFaireMan wrote:AMD Radeon HD 7900. I'll try to revert to an older driver and see if the problem goes away.

I'm actually glad to know you've been able to play on a Radeon HD 7900 with semi-modern drivers. That particular card is in an awkward state, as it's one of the oldest cards that AMD is still pushing driver updates for. Slightly earlier cards, like the 7200 HD, are forced to use AMDs "legacy drivers" (which actually run the game pretty well). The 7900 HD, however, will auto-update to the latest AMD drivers, and those drivers are often buggy on older cards (specifically, the 7800HD, 7900HD, and some 8000 series HDs).

Thanks for debugging this one -- I guess now we just need to hope that AMD fixes the issue in their "beta" before taking this patch live.

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Fri May 04, 2018 7:00 am

I have quite a new graphic card (cant remember right now, but I can check it when I return home) and I have sometimes the problem that missiles/bombers become "invisible" (especially when several are in the air). Is this something to do with the graphic card or with the game? Not a huge problem since I still get the yellow target rectangle around the invisible missile.

siyoa

Postby siyoa » Fri May 04, 2018 4:29 pm

sven wrote:(specifically, the 7800HD, 7900HD, and some 8000 series HDs)

I mainly run the game on Q9550 with 7850HD and it runs just fine (with simplified effects selected, or what ever that option is called), I never use beta drivers tho, and drivers I am using now are probably a month or two old ... just a feedback :)
How did YOU get a key? All right, go in.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 pm

fonzosh wrote:I have quite a new graphic card (cant remember right now, but I can check it when I return home) and I have sometimes the problem that missiles/bombers become "invisible" (especially when several are in the air). Is this something to do with the graphic card or with the game? Not a huge problem since I still get the yellow target rectangle around the invisible missile.

This is almost certainly a bug in the game. If you'd upload a save next time it happens (and point me to the save upload ID), I'll see if I can figure it out.

Return to “General Forum”