Empire Borders Overlay

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
zolobolo

Re: Empire Borders Overlay

Postby zolobolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:46 pm

sven wrote:changing the .25 to a .125 gives you borders that are significantly closer together:

Value .125 does seem to resolve the points mentioned above. There is less noise graphically, the contours are more markant but the areas are still clearly distinguishable.

I see what you mean when zoomed out, but not a major issue - maybe change the value slightly only when on maximum zoom out level, though I guess this would mean performance hit
This is minor tinkering though and afraid to go down through this particular rabbit hole (else I spend hours with it like with my Monitor color calibration - and it still doesn't seem right :))

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 am

zolobolo wrote:
sven wrote:Would you upload this game? (Or email me the save.) It think you may have found a bug.

Game save has been uploaded - you can also observe the behaviour for systems: Veneke and Akaras

Haven't seen this for normal star density maps yet so might be due to the close proximity

Thanks for this upload. On investigation, I think that I'm going to classify it as "not a bug" -- when empty star systems are surrounded by or very close to an empire's stars, they'll be considered part of that empires territory. This is both realistic (the empire in question probably figures it has a claim on such territory), and it looks better than splitting things up.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Agreed. This is not really an issue: noticed hat even other AIs are ignoring the borders and occupying planets on these system despite being "claimed" which is fine in my opinion

What is more of an issue is that the empire logos are not displayed in these dense maps

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Here is an example of border strength: .185

I think that both the lowest and highest zoom level is looking perfectly fine with this value

Figured out what is causing the noise with the default value: if the outer border line is too far off, it sometimes seems as if it is closer to the neighboring territory (owned by another empire) and you aren't sure what it refers to
Attachments
Closeup.png
Closeup.png (734.13 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Border Gore.png
Border Gore.png (655.17 KiB) Viewed 5655 times

Return to “General Forum”