Researchable Artifacts

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
zolobolo

Researchable Artifacts

Postby zolobolo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:42 pm

So I was thinking how it would be best to implement the feature: "Researchable Artifacts"

As I do not know if specifics but I do find the Tech buyout via the Herald to be more-or-less unneeded I propose the following:

1. Researchable Artifacts are objects unknown to the mayor races that can be bought from the Herald. Just like now really, only wit the difference that they are not showing what tech lies behind them. So when buying the player gets a cryptic name and maybe a classification if it is regarding Industry, Physics or whatnot, and will only find out what it is, when it is bought (this is not a must be see point 4 for details of why)
2. The AI should "buy" the highest value item from the Herald at its arrival so this mechanic does not only provide bonus to player
3. The number of such artifacts should be limited (maybe to 9 pieces so it can be displayed nicely) and the logo and color of the buyer is shown over the greyed out icon. This is mainly for troubleshooting purpose but also to indicate that is now unavailable and which empire owns the bonus
4. The tech behind the artifacts is dynamically generated, as is always the most advanced tech in the given field, that has already been researched in the galaxy. This is so that the most technologically advanced faction cannot get considerable bonus via this mechanic, but an economically strong but technologically underdeveloped one would profit the most

New art is always welcome for the artifact icons of course but is not a necessity: current ones would also do if necessary

Capt Phoenix

Re: Researchable Artifacts

Postby Capt Phoenix » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 am

Based on my reading of the Dev's roadmap, I think they intend to implement artifacts. These seem likely to give a global boost or unlock a hidden tech. The latter effect will be harder to implement and balance, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it. The former might be things like a 5% reduction in Ship cost, 10% boost to tech Empire wide, 20% boost to ships armor or shields, etc. These basicly function like a tech boost. The values are only guesses on my part.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 pm

If by hidden tech we mean unique tech that is unavailable so far and will only be created for this purpose am all all down with that :)
Realistically though that is unlikely: new unique tech mean new art, coding and whatnot. That is why I suggest we just randomize and hide the existing techs from the tree

5-20% bonuses to various modules also sounds like a fine idea and more approachable implementation wise though there the info-panes would need to be updated dynamically with these modifiers and the later also displayed (e.g.: when selecting a torpedo: what is the base damage value + 15% modifier from Tech XY)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:44 am

What's that you say? Unique unlockable techs?

herald_techs1.jpg
herald_techs1.jpg (38.53 KiB) Viewed 10324 times

Yes, we're working on the artifact and codex system right now. :D

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Awesome!!!

Seems like the Pulse Generator will only be compatible with specific ships (unless it does not show up on the ship image itself) - I hope it does though as its always nice to see customized ships looking differently, and the new modules will probably give a huge advantage in combat so it is beneficial to see them

The later point + the fact that each unique tech can only be bought by one empire (just an assumption) would actually enable these modules to have their specific colors whoever is using them so that they stand out (Yellow and grey by to looks of it)

Can hardly wait to see all the new bits :)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

The Pulse Generator is a System module, so it won't display on the hull of a mounting ship.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm

At least those Steward will get a taste of their own medicine
I also like the design of the torpedo - very sleek akin to a drone design. Now that I think about it, it resembles the Haduir Cruiser nose which means mystery resolved: The Arda Seed are stranded Haduir that have sunken into the depths of Hyperspace and with some RAPID evolution they have adapted to their new environments ;)

But getting back to design effects on models: Maybe there are other models that are visible on the map... like a modified deep space scanner which has some advantage over the regular one

Or: pimp up a star base model, or allows the purchase of floating defense platform tech so there is variety on the orbital construction front

The possibilities are endless. Since these tech would only be available for a single empire in a given game (unless captured and reverse-engineered :)) thy do not cause a mayor threat to balance and unique ideas can be experimented with (like a base with lots of system slots but no weapons). It would be fun to go against an AI using such a tech and overcome their advantage + it gives a great reason for us to shoot the Herald before it arrives to another empire

wminsing

Postby wminsing » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Really excited to see work being done on the researchable artifacts front, and having them possibly yield unique tech will help make every game different. Excellent idea!

-Will

Return to “General Forum”