Buying the DLC?

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
User avatar
fonzosh
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

Buying the DLC?

Postby fonzosh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Well, Im thinking of buying the dlc but it is ridiculously overpriced in steam (as everything else on steam) so I normally buy my games at a third party dealer (usually Kinguin) since it is my suspicion that Steam take most of the money ( I might be wrong so please developers, tell me what you get out of the 4.99 E charged on steam) and the developers get chump change (othervise, why the price difference). So, where can I get a steam key for lower prize and hand a bigger part of my money to the developers of this fine game?

bjg
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby bjg » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Isn't it $5? This is not a smartphone app - you can't reasonably have anything cheaper for PC.

User avatar
fonzosh
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby fonzosh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:51 pm

bjg wrote:Isn't it $5? This is not a smartphone app - you can't reasonably have anything cheaper for PC.


For me, on steam, its 4,99 euro. And I agree with you, its cheap för a game but not for a small dlc, especially since most dlc are a lot more expensive on steam than on every other retailer that sells steam codes. For example (all in prizes today, these might change tomorrow):

Xcom 2 War of the chosen DLC
Steam 49.99 E
Kinguin 25.10 E

Civilization 6 (full game)
Steam 59.99 E
G2A 21.21 E

Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes Leader Pack DLC
Steam 24.99 E
G2A 1.83 E

This prize difference make me wonder how much steam overcharges and how much the developers are missing out on because of Steam. Because even FE Legendary Heroes is a huge DLC and outside of steam its valued 1.83 E (and no, its not a smartphone ap). I even bought my original Stars in Shadow game of about one third of the prize on steam.

So, back to my original question. Is Steam only lining their pockets of our dear hard working developers gold and if there is a possibility to go around steam and give more of my money directly to the devs (and still get a steam code).

zolobolo
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby zolobolo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 pm

The Devs might not be allowed to disclose such information being part of their contract and all. Could be a similar case as when an employee discloses his or her salary to colleges as other game publishers could very well read this forum :)

That being said it is an interesting question, here is an answer that might help:
https://www.quora.com/Valve-company-Wha ... from-sales

Independently from the above though I suggest you buy the DLC on whichever platform you like to support the game
Last edited by zolobolo on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SirDamnALot
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:10 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby SirDamnALot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:30 pm

For me 5 bucks seemed a reasonable price.

Keystores use keys from the russia, china or third world countries, where the local prices are a pittance compared to us.
It is also claimed that they resell keys that are bought with stolen credit card information.
Which activley damages the developer. The key & money is gone and they get charged fees from the credit card companies.

If someone offers you a car radio from the back of his truck, for not even a tenth of the price,
do you really think there is nothing shady about it? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Arioch
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:56 am
Location: San Jose, California
Contact:

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby Arioch » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Steam doesn't set prices of products; the developer or publisher does. Steam gets a cut of the sale price off the top (along with transaction fees, return costs, etc.), and then the rest is divided between the publisher and the developer. Essentially we get a certain percentage of each sale. The less you pay, the less we get. A large percentage if not most of our sales are made at a reduced price, so that's not a problem... up to a point.

The US price of $4.99 was something we agreed upon with the publisher. The DLC provides a full new playable major faction, a new minor faction, and some significant new gameplay mechanics for both. The art assets are all new (they're not just recolors of old assets), and there are new music and SFX tracks. We felt that was a fair price for this content. I'm not sure how international pricing is determined; I'll ask the next time we're talking to the publisher. I suspect that since the the Euro fell close to the value of the dollar, they just make the Euro price the same as the US dollar price and gouge you a bit for the extra 15%; but we get the same percentage cut regardless of what the sale price is. The less you pay, the less we get.

As for third-party sites that sell Steam keys, I'm not sure how they do this. If Steam is selling keys at a discount (which I didn't think they are allowed to do), then that just means we (the developer) get a cut of a much smaller price. If they are getting the keys through some nefarious means, or outright stealing them, then that means we are getting nothing.

User avatar
fonzosh
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby fonzosh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:For me 5 bucks seemed a reasonable price.

Keystores use keys from the russia, china or third world countries, where the local prices are a pittance compared to us.
It is also claimed that they resell keys that are bought with stolen credit card information.
Which activley damages the developer. The key & money is gone and they get charged fees from the credit card companies.

If someone offers you a car radio from the back of his truck, for not even a tenth of the price,
do you really think there is nothing shady about it? :mrgreen:


Well, I dont know if such big vendors and like G2A and Kinguin can really be so shady as to steal steam codes and so on.

Arioch wrote:Steam doesn't set prices of products; the developer or publisher does. Steam gets a cut of the sale price off the top (along with transaction fees, return costs, etc.), and then the rest is divided between the publisher and the developer. Essentially we get a certain percentage of each sale. The less you pay, the less we get. A large percentage if not most of our sales are made at a reduced price, so that's not a problem... up to a point.

The US price of $4.99 was something we agreed upon with the publisher. The DLC provides a full new playable major faction, a new minor faction, and some significant new gameplay mechanics for both. The art assets are all new (they're not just recolors of old assets), and there are new music and SFX tracks. We felt that was a fair price for this content. I'm not sure how international pricing is determined; I'll ask the next time we're talking to the publisher. I suspect that since the the Euro fell close to the value of the dollar, they just make the Euro price the same as the US dollar price and gouge you a bit for the extra 15%; but we get the same percentage cut regardless of what the sale price is. The less you pay, the less we get.

As for third-party sites that sell Steam keys, I'm not sure how they do this. If Steam is selling keys at a discount (which I didn't think they are allowed to do), then that just means we (the developer) get a cut of a much smaller price. If they are getting the keys through some nefarious means, or outright stealing them, then that means we are getting nothing.


As long as you get (that means Eric and Arioch) get your fair share, Im happy to pay my 5 E (just dont want the crocodile share of my money to go to steam), since I think its a wonderful game that you are building and everyone needs to put food on the table ;)
So, of to buy the DLC from steam I guess :D

User avatar
SirDamnALot
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:10 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby SirDamnALot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:21 pm

fonzosh wrote:Well, I dont know if such big vendors and like G2A and Kinguin can really be so shady as to steal steam codes and so on.

As with anything you hear on the internet, apply salt to taste :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QbJb2taPtk


Some technical question:
Since the DLC is on GOG and Steam, can one mix & match vendors?

User avatar
Arioch
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:56 am
Location: San Jose, California
Contact:

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby Arioch » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 pm

fonzosh wrote:So, of to buy the DLC from steam I guess :D

Thanks, we appreciate it!

SirDamnALot wrote:Since the DLC is on GOG and Steam, can one mix & match vendors?

I don't think so. I assume that Steam DLC keys will only work on Steam, and the same for GoG.

User avatar
fonzosh
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby fonzosh » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 am

Arioch wrote:
fonzosh wrote:So, of to buy the DLC from steam I guess :D

Thanks, we appreciate it!

SirDamnALot wrote:Since the DLC is on GOG and Steam, can one mix & match vendors?

I don't think so. I assume that Steam DLC keys will only work on Steam, and the same for GoG.


Ohh, must say it was worth it. Low the tiny Gunship with a heavy Ion artillery up front :D

bjg
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby bjg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:03 pm

fonzosh wrote:Ohh, must say it was worth it. Low the tiny Gunship with a heavy Ion artillery up front :D

You did not need the DLC for that. :?

SilasOfBorg
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby SilasOfBorg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Bought game from website in very early access. Price: 4 cheeseburgers.

Bought again on GOG when it became available there. Price: 4 cheeseburgers.

Bought DLC on GOG. Price: 1 cheeseburger.

Given the many enjoyable hours I have spent playing SiS, I consider this a steal.

Perhaps in other currencies (grapes? ice cream sandwiches?) this would be "rediculously overpriced". I do not speak for the entire fruit salad.

User avatar
Jodet
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby Jodet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 pm

It's an inexpensive game that offers lots and lots of gameplay.

Five bucks for dlc is cheap. I bought it just to support the developers. The more dlc we buy, the more updates the game gets, yes?

akkamaddi
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:11 am

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Jodet wrote:It's an inexpensive game that offers lots and lots of gameplay.
(snip) I bought it just to support the developers. The more dlc we buy, the more updates the game gets, yes?


Gratuitous quoting so people read Jodet's comment twice. I really want to know what this game will be like in six months or a year, so I want Sven and Arioch to get there.

rattle
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Buying the DLC?

Postby rattle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Please remember that PC games used to cost about $100 to $120 back in the days. $50 to $80 for a full game and $25 for an addon pack were also common numbers I grew up with.

This is a reasonable price.


Return to “General Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron