Ground combat?

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
luciderous

Re: Ground combat?

Postby luciderous » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:32 am

sabretooth wrote:i think having ground combat with little sprites to illustrate the battle as seen in MoO2 was and still is my preferred ground combat. something about seeing your little troops dooking it out with noticable difference in weapons and armour is awesome! i just wished that MoO3 had expanded on the MoO2 ground combat with still using the sprites (love that art style combat ;3) but expanding the available defensive/offensive options and showing us them, for example, if u chose attrition, u could see ur sprites occupying trenches against which ever option the ai chose.

Ditto! That's why MoO2 looks like magic, and that's what StarDrive2 botched, unfortunately.

sabretooth

Postby sabretooth » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:13 pm

luciderous wrote:

Ditto! That's why MoO2 looks like magic, and that's what StarDrive2 botched, unfortunately.[/quote]

look.... ddnt mind SD 2's GC i mean sure it wasnt the best but from having played the first i did have to hand it to zero, and whilst it wasnt what i had wanted it was a major improvement which was interesting, just....yea wasnt wat had really wanted out of GC......im still trying to find out if theres any GC in GalCiv3 i remember that they tried copyting MoO 2 with the sprite battles but i forgot y ddnt like it lol (havent played GalCiv 2 in like forever)

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:32 pm

sabretooth wrote:sure it wasnt the best but from having played the first i did have to hand it to zero

Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love StarDrive 2 in general, it's just that turn-based ground combat was totally superfluos. I mean, it was already great in MoO2, a few minor touches here and there would suffice. Unfortunately, in its current state, the kind of GC that is in StarDrive 2 is not much fun.

sabretooth

Postby sabretooth » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:47 pm

luciderous wrote:
sabretooth wrote:sure it wasnt the best but from having played the first i did have to hand it to zero

Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love StarDrive 2 in general, it's just that turn-based ground combat was totally superfluos. I mean, it was already great in MoO2, a few minor touches here and there would suffice. Unfortunately, in its current state, the kind of GC that is in StarDrive 2 is not much fun.

true! lol i mean i dunno why companies cant get the GC right when it was evidently perfect in MoO2 (just needed some additions) heck i didntreally mind the GC in MoO3 really, i just wished they had sprites during combat, it was such a waste when they wentto allthe trouble with the detailed units and stats and stuff and all of it was wasted with just a sprite of the planet gettng nuked!....i mean they even had that famous video game actor voice to do the voice over for the Ground Commander!..........

Hanekem

Postby Hanekem » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Speaking of ground combat, will Bioweapons feature in the game? there was nothing quite like inheriting a planet pre built :P

enpi

Postby enpi » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:49 pm

SD2 was awful from the design PoV. While everything the devs copied from MOO2 was great of course - although it was rather a 2nd rate copy - every concept they invented by themselves was IMO crap. (except the fuel mechanic which I think is decent)

-Ground combat = crap. (graphics from 1990 and gameplay abysmal)
-space combat = super crap (realtime and ridicolous damage and hp numbers bloat which I absolutely HATE)
-AI = crap

After some hours I stopped this mispurchase and started up the original MOO2 - what a relief.

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:05 pm

enpi wrote:-space combat = super crap (realtime and ridicolous damage and hp numbers bloat which I absolutely HATE)

I strongly disagree on this one. IMO, space combat is THE best thing in SD2 at the moment. While I like turn-based MoO-style combat, I believe SD2 achieved the impossible with its paused real-time offer, delivering quick, visually impressive, tactical and foremost fun experience. Although it's something you have to get used to first, and you will be able to appreciate it only when you get to design your own ships to understand all subtleties of space combat. I must admit I was repulsed with it just like you at the beginning, but it grew on me after several games. Damage and HP numbers is a matter of taste - personally I don't care about them much, although staying within decimals for HP and damage ranges might have been more readable for many players.

enpi

Postby enpi » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Well then we have to agree to disagree.

Return to “General Forum”