Absurd combos?

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
SmaugTheDragon

Absurd combos?

Postby SmaugTheDragon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Got a Railgun tech as Yoral from an abandoned colony.
2 Railgun's with LR mounted on a Yoral heavy destroyer = wiped humanity out by turn 58 :twisted:

sven
Site Admin

Re: Absurd combos?

Postby sven » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 pm

SmaugTheDragon wrote:Got a Railgun tech as Yoral from an abandoned colony.
2 Railgun's with LR mounted on a Yoral heavy destroyer = wiped humanity out by turn 58 :twisted:

Railguns are overdue for a nerf, but that said, this is more or less working as intended. It should be possible to run into cool things early on that give you a significant leg up. Soon, there should also be some very troublesome events that may happen in the mid/late game, so situations like this one won't always mean you're in for a quick and easy game.

SmaugTheDragon

Postby SmaugTheDragon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I felt really clever by rushing Miniaturization and discovering to my glee that Heavy Destroyer has juuust enough power with 2 Nuclear Generators to fit on dual railguns.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 pm

I would say more that other end game weapons need some buffing. ATM it seems Heavy = railgun, medium = force lance , point defense = rf turbolaser.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:59 am

There's a whole lot of weapon rebalancing that needs to be done; types in addition to specific weapons.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Nooooo leave my rail guns alone! They are the only weapon I care about! Like in Masters of Orion 2, you can use Autofire Armor piercing Mass drives for 80% of the game.

Maybe just make their firing arc like 15 or 10 Degrees or something.

Regardless of their power, when you have a large map and up against ships with them, it's even Steven all over again. Besides I love their range. Speaking of range, their range seems lower on planet mounts than on ship ones.

But don't change them :(

Awaras

Postby Awaras » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Captainspire wrote: Speaking of range, their range seems lower on planet mounts than on ship ones.

But don't change them :(

Well, it's always easier to cast slugs DOWN a gravity well than it is to throw them UP one... :D

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:09 am

Agree that the range should remain (this is a large battery option). Damage seems a bit too strong as a large ship with strong shield can currently be taken out with a single salvo from another large ship, but this does not necessarily mean a problem.

I would also prefer for large ships to take at least one salvo before they die, but this can also be balanced via amount of ships.
Large ships are slow so even with the long range of the rail gun, they still need to get into position which gives smaller ships like destroyers to move into range. If the large ships fire one the small ones, they should miss at least 50% of the time and they also cannot shoot on large ships on that turn anymore. If they do not shoot, the smaller craft get into position to do some damage and cripple a hard point or two

If there are large enough fleets with dozens of ships on both side, the weapon is not overpowered anymore
It is overpowered in one-on-one combat, when only a handful of other small ships around

Return to “General Forum”