Easy, Normal, Hard, I'm the one with the gun

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Captainspire

Easy, Normal, Hard, I'm the one with the gun

Postby Captainspire » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:48 pm

So I tried easy mode, in a 20 planet galaxy with 3 other races.
I died faster than a 50 planet medium galaxy with 7 races.

Although there are other factors, like only having a 6 pop max planet to start with never helps, I didn't see the difference from easy to normal.

sven
Site Admin

Re: Easy, Normal, Hard, I'm the one with the gun

Postby sven » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Captainspire wrote:So I tried easy mode, in a 20 planet galaxy with 3 other races.
I died faster than a 50 planet medium galaxy with 7 races.

Although there are other factors, like only having a 6 pop max planet to start with never helps, I didn't see the difference from easy to normal.

Right now, the AI gets some modest starting condition perks in a normal game. On 'hard' the AI gets much more significant perks, including bonuses to ship production and research rates.

I think what you're seeing is that the AI is currently much better at handling smaller maps than larger ones -- and that makes sense. Bigger maps are often more strategically complex than smaller ones.

If you could use the Options pane "upload game logs" to send me the saves from your Normal and Easy mode games, that would be helpful. I'd like to take a look at just how the AI played in those 2 cases.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:37 pm

The update gave the saved game errors and I already over written the game. But on that easy/normal thing.
I played the humans. Yes, I know it even states that the beginning is difficult, how ever.

1st time made a 20 planet map and there were only 3 planets in range, max was 6 population. I fought as much as I could but died.
2nd time I bit the bullet and colonized a 6 and a 3 pop planet and just stayed out of everyone's way. when I finally had 7 destroyers and one cruiser, a race declared war on me and ate me without stopping. I couldn't even research ground defenses fast enough.

Then there was this
http://i.imgur.com/ax15nBA.jpg

In all the systems I went to I was surrounded by fail. This was a max planets in a small universe. This did have a 6 pop and a 9 pop planet. Yet everything else was barren and inhospitable. With pirates all around me and bare bones, I'm not even sure how I could work this up to a sizable force to even protect myself. I was able to upload game 528 if , I hope that makes it.

I'm gona stay away from the humans for a while.

Poklok

Postby Poklok » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:30 am

I was thinking a little about Humans. On one hand, it's nice that their starting conditions are so unique, and it definetly can create some intresting scenerios. However, there's no question that, in the current build, you can be put into situation that's almost doomed from the beggining. However, since the balance is not that much of as the game is currently purely singleplayer, I think it's ok to have one race that's at such a severe disadvantage. I also think giving Humans guarantee of finding good world to colonize near Fargone would make whole thing kinda pointless - and ruin whole narration, as they are supposed to be desperate.

Unbroken

Postby Unbroken » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Captainspire wrote:The update gave the saved game errors and I already over written the game. But on that easy/normal thing.
I played the humans. Yes, I know it even states that the beginning is difficult, how ever.

1st time made a 20 planet map and there were only 3 planets in range, max was 6 population. I fought as much as I could but died.
2nd time I bit the bullet and colonized a 6 and a 3 pop planet and just stayed out of everyone's way. when I finally had 7 destroyers and one cruiser, a race declared war on me and ate me without stopping. I couldn't even research ground defenses fast enough.

Then there was this
http://i.imgur.com/ax15nBA.jpg

In all the systems I went to I was surrounded by fail. This was a max planets in a small universe. This did have a 6 pop and a 9 pop planet. Yet everything else was barren and inhospitable. With pirates all around me and bare bones, I'm not even sure how I could work this up to a sizable force to even protect myself. I was able to upload game 528 if , I hope that makes it.

I'm gona stay away from the humans for a while.

Yeah. Humanity is very RNG-dependent when it comes to their starts. If you ever roll a good start though, you will absolutely demolish the AI. All this needs to fix it is at least one half-decent planet within their starting area that isn't protected.

Also, the game on hard cheats so blatantly, I'm not sure it is possible to defeat it right now without using an enormous galaxy to give yourself time to build up and hope the AI is too busy fighting its neighbours to crush you. Otherwise, the AIs will hurl fleets of shielded, well-armed heavy cruisers at you while all you've got are garbage missile boats - you can hold them off for a while, but their industrial advantage will eventually overwhelm you with ease.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:48 pm

And....I cannot help after being surrounded by dust for the humans, find THIS in three turns with another race
http://i.imgur.com/lg0Spvc.png
Yes. It was a huge galaxy, but still

By the way that anomaly of a planet has me scrambling to see what secrets are to find.

Return to “General Forum”