New update new tech

General Stars in Shadow Discussion Forum
Captainspire

New update new tech

Postby Captainspire » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Limpet missiles. The Vux would be proud of you.

sven
Site Admin

Re: New update new tech

Postby sven » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:01 am

Captainspire wrote:Limpet missiles. The Vux would be proud of you.

They're not fully implemented yet -- but, yes. That seemed like a mechanic worth borrowing.

Gilleous

Postby Gilleous » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:24 am

*snorts* Don't get me started on the Vux *snorts*

They do not compare to the military brilliance of Culture 19. *snorts*

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:21 pm

OK. Ive been playing with the new update for a while and I do like it.

Mass drivers were always my weapon of choice and using the shield piercing ability of the coil guns has allowed me to survive battles I would have otherwise lost.

Leech missiles: With the limited amount of ammo you can normally have for a guided weapon, I see the AI use these far too often. When a fleet of them were heading towards me I about Shatnered my pants, then, all they did was take down one layer of shields, a quick turn (which I now know how to do thank you for pointing out the rotate ability in the move options), the leech missiles are not even something I fire at to stop. Maybe having these missiles affect all 4 shields would make them more formidable? Maybe have Hull contact do damage to the power numbers, preventing energy weapons from firing?

Auto Repair: I haven't seen this tech yet or it's yet to come. Is/will this be a tech to look forward to? Will it repair armor and structure as well? Maybe reduce or eliminate the time it takes for a flee to repair in orbit?

Shield re generators: Why do these need to go on a heavy weapon slot and not a System slot? Balance or something else?

I still have a long way to go on this but I'm really enjoying being part of this.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Leech missiles are new, and so the AI doesn't yet understand how to use them properly. Sven is working on it.

Currently ship repair is trivial (all damage is repaired in one turn), and so there's no need for systems that speed it up. This may change in the future.

The Shield Regenerator was introduced specifically as an option to replace an offensive turret. We could have made a system version of it, but I would imagine that this would always be inferior to a second shield module. The regenerator is admittedly a bit awkward and I'm not sure anyone uses it, as I don't know of any cases in the current system in which it makes sense to sacrifice offense for better shield regeneration, especially since in most cases a ship is likely to die in the same turn once its shields go down.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Maybe it would be good if the shield regenerator was either a support weapon or something that would heal your shields as soon as it fell, like bang the shields down you take hull damage then poof back up, 20% for a medium mount 50% for a large. You could either give it charges that would regenerate slowly or use munitions for each time the shield booster fires, 1 for medium 2 for large. could make a ship real tanky early on

Return to “General Forum”