Auto Migration?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zolobolo

Re: Auto Migration?

Postby zolobolo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 am

gaerzi wrote:
zolobolo wrote:Indeed such a tech should not rely on transports from the pool to move around pops as that can wreck the economy in an insance and the player would not be happ abouth it :)

The thing could only kick in if there are enough surplus transports to allow moving population without reducing income.

And rather than generating population out of thin air, it could work by taking "fractional" quantities from multiple planets. E.g. take 100 000 pops from 10 planets, that give you a full million but without the effect of taking a full million from one planet. It could do that also by only taking population from planets that are at least halfway toward their next million of the given population type, so it's pretty much transparent.

Maybe it'd select one planet per turn, that has less than four types of species on it already, and where one more pop would not result in food shortage.

Ekegant solution

Also good point: taking pop would also cause risk of starvation in some cases

In general, I also like this approach as it is fair:
1. Only take surplus transports that are not needed for either food or trade (this is very likely to be available late-mid game onward since the rebalance of coin)
2. Onlytake pop from planets that would not go into food deficit
3. Transport stats from the clsoest planet to the destination, takes 1 pop but that is divided between all valid soruce planets equally (like 100'00 each). This breaks the rule of actualyl moving the pop for most of the planets but would not provide any sort of benefit to hte player besides automation
4. Prioratize target planets where hte pop increase will be the highest

Now the problem with this approach is that it barely provides any benefit beyond automation at which point we have to ask why we should research the tech at all or why it is not a default mechanic :)

The benefit it provides is that it is by nature more efficient: taking surplus from many planets should have 0 impact on production output of these worlds compared to manual transport so in case of many such transactions the bonus does indeed add up but how can this be clearly communicated to the player and is it worth the research cost...

username

Postby username » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:30 pm

Honestly, the main reason for figuring out how to auto-migrate is not necessarily to reduce any kind of player tedium, but that it would be a huge help to the AI, who currently doesn't really have a good idea how to migrate pops, so his colony development sucks.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:18 am

username wrote:Honestly, the main reason for figuring out how to auto-migrate is not necessarily to reduce any kind of player tedium, but that it would be a huge help to the AI, who currently doesn't really have a good idea how to migrate pops, so his colony development sucks.

I have to disagree. IMHO, AI migrates its pop quite vigorously, both jump-starting new or devastated colonies, and filling ecological niches. Maybe even too vigorously, ending with suboptimal combinations, like Threshers on Hives.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:16 am

Agree: the AI pop migration routine is quite good at this point: it has received 2-3 updates sicne release if I recall correctly

If its not migrating pops it should have a good reason for that: low on funds, transports, morale risk etc... though I am not quite sure if the AI uses trading queue, it was said that they gain coin differently then the player

username

Postby username » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 pm

This must be a new thing, then, since I'm used to encountering horribly underpopulated AI colonies.

If the AI is actually now transporting men in transports, hooboy, it's time to hoist that black flag. ARR, MATEY!

I remember in another game with that kind of feature, I used to obtain a large number of free pops just by hijacking AI pop shipments.

Return to “Testing”