4k Resolution

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zolobolo

4k Resolution

Postby zolobolo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 pm

I just started using 4k resolution on a larger monitor then before: Most elements of the UI are scaled up perfectly to take up the same relative amount of space as before but some arent

Notably, ships, system icons and their names seem to adhere to a fix resoltuion or amount of pixels as these get very tiny even on a large screen

Am I missing some seeting in the files that can scale up these elements a bit too or is the game not yet inteded to run on 4k and can force it to use the normal HD resolution instead?

Note that images seem to have such high detail that decrease in quaility is not noticeable with the larger size at all

sven
Site Admin

Re: 4k Resolution

Postby sven » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:32 am

zolobolo wrote:Am I missing some seeting in the files that can scale up these elements a bit too or is the game not yet inteded to run on 4k and can force it to use the normal HD resolution instead?

You're not missing a setting. I've generally tried to design things in such a way that the game should run alright at higher resolutions, but, I don't get a lot of feedback from people using that setting, and I don't have a 4K monitor myself, so I've almost certainly missed things. If you'd upload screenshots, I'll try to fix whatever issues you run into.

Regarding forcing a lower resolution -- the best option is probably just to change your monitor's display settings via the windows "Display Settings" panel.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:30 am

Just got the new monitor for home-office (4k to do away with the two monitor setup and save space on the desk)

Tried out the dialing back of the resolution but didnt actually help in some cases so I rather stick with the higher res and no manual config changes before starting up (do that a lot durign a day)

The main drawback of the Full HD res on a 81cm screen is that fleet icons always seem to be blurry and low-res. Not sure if thi actualyl has to do with the res, size of the screen or something else - havent noticed it on the smaller HD screen before. This also seems to be the case in 4k when fleets are not selected but because the ships are much smaller there it does not really matter

Next I will post the cases for 4k

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:40 am

First off: the UI scales very well and noticed only place where it was odd: the battle results buttons
Battle Result Buttons.png
Battle Result Buttons.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 35950 times

This was already something I noticed on HD: the buttons are huge (the "V" is 2.5cms on my screen :)) and very close to each other
Still does not pose a readibilty problem so lowest issue but like I said the only one I found with the general UI itself (not countign the encoutner text with Marauders when their names are overlapping with butons)

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 am

The biggest issue is with ships, travel times and system names on the galaxy map

The below example shows the top and side UI as refrence to these elemetns when the player zooms in to the galaxy view fully:
Galaxy zoomed in.jpg
Galaxy zoomed in.jpg (917.65 KiB) Viewed 35950 times

If I sit a comfortable 1 meter from the screen, travel times are not readable anymore (My eyes are 50% and 80%)
Seems like systems are also further apart (all galaxy settings are default) so it seems that they "shrinked" down while their relative distance has not changes causing additional "empty" space being between them.

Simply put: the map feels more empty while elements within the galaxy map are much harder to read

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:55 am

Windows and a lot of apps scale their UI and elemetns well to 4k, so here is a direct side-by-side comparison betwen Firefox text and the galaxy map elements:
Text Compare.png
Text Compare.png (133.34 KiB) Viewed 35950 times

I think that the former is a good reference as I have not issue reading that at any reasonable distance: it seems to show that travel time numbers would need to be 2X larger to get close to that level of readabilty while systems names are ok but wouldnt hurt to enlarge these as well considering the empty space mentioned above and their signifficance comared to travel time and keeing with the general wibe of the UI elements
Last edited by zolobolo on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:57 am

zolobolo wrote:Just got the new monitor for home-office (4k to do away with the two monitor setup and save space on the desk)

Or you could get a bigger desk and make yourself a three-monitor setup! :lol:

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:10 am

gaerzi wrote:Or you could get a bigger desk and make yourself a three-monitor setup! :lol:

For that I would need to get a bigger flat first ;)

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 am

Within Tactical Battles, the only elements not scaling up correctly seem to be the "Interception Warning messages"

See below again with reference text from Firefox (100% zoom level) and other elements of the UI/map:
Interception Warning.png
Interception Warning.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 35949 times

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 am

Thats all actually: all other elements (menus in Galaxy Map, Planet production) are scaled up nicely

You could make use of the space available a bit better by fitting in another column of ships in designer or improvements in planet production screen but the image and text qualities are that good that it is not bothersome that they are larger overall

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:56 am

One minor thing I noticed on ship designs was on the Tinker Heavy Cruiser: there appear to be bracket outlines marked around the mount points of the ship:
Brackets.png
Brackets.png (874.71 KiB) Viewed 35948 times

I would assume these mark the plasement of the weapon image but are usually overlapped bythe ship hull itself - just in this case they are still visible
They are thinner then other ship hull lines and do not follow their curviture that is why I think they are not part of the design

One can easily ignore these though and is the only design where I noticed this

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Nuclear torpedo tail end is visible on the top of Tinker Heavy Cruiser Hull:
Torpedo.png
Torpedo.png (476.75 KiB) Viewed 35938 times

Not sure if it is related to 4k - maybe just never mounted them on this hull before...

Incidentally though: they seem to punch through right at the point wher the above lines were visible in the previous case

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 pm

The decreased distance between the two buttons is more pronounced here:
Hail.png
Hail.png (366.74 KiB) Viewed 35933 times

gaerzi

Postby gaerzi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:53 pm

It looks like the font size scales up faster than the screen size. If the "Hail fleet" and "Ignore" buttons were written in the same font size as the "Orthin landing" event title, there wouldn't be such an overlap. (And it'd still be perfectly readable.)

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Planet texture on Victory Screen is visibly low-res for 4K:
Victory Screen planet texture.png
Victory Screen planet texture.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 35884 times

This is mostly apperant due to the high-res UI elemnts around it

Return to “Testing”