Need some way to exterminate species that cannot be enslaved.

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
user12334

Need some way to exterminate species that cannot be enslaved.

Postby user12334 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:57 pm

As I found out, the only way to exterminate such species is to let enemy take the planet and then bomb it, and then (re-)colonize.
This is irritating. Because there is not always any enemy around, and also a colony ship is wasted for that.
We need some 'exterminate' button (possibly with diplomatic consequences), similar to 'forced labor' for enslaved population.

user12334

Re: Need some way to exterminate species that cannot be enslaved.

Postby user12334 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Forgot to mention, there is a way for Tinkers, to just not build farms, so they die of starvation.
And yet the 'exterminate' button would be more flexible.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue May 22, 2018 1:01 am

We specifically do not have such a feature because we do not want you to be able to exterminate undesired native races. That's part of the reason why they can't be enslaved.

The native race is part of the advantage or disadvantage of that particular planet. I don't think it's that easy to annihilate a native species (short of destroying the entire ecosystem of the planet).

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 am

If I come across an enemy planet that has an undesired species (especially the yellow blobs) I often bomb the planet back to stoneage, then colonize it with my own colony ship. I do agree with Arioch that it should be hard to exterminate a native species, but at least cull the species (especially for an "evil" dispostion) so that the species after a while is not the dominant species of the planet. Also would be fun to allow the bombing solution to be hampered with environmental detriment (just think about it, several hundreds nuclear devices on the planet and the new colonists just walk in like nothing ever happened).

I suggest the following solution:
1. Allow culling, either by not giving them food or by some other way (no need to be specified in game). Of course this will make them unhappy but will keep their growth rate below the main race.

2. Allow bombing the planet to 50% the growth rate of the population (for eradicating) or 75% (for just bombing) for maybe something like 10 turns. This also have the upside to make bombing a less viable option since growth rate of the population is an important factor.

user12334

Postby user12334 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Arioch wrote:We specifically do not have such a feature because we do not want you to be able to exterminate undesired native races. That's part of the reason why they can't be enslaved.

The native race is part of the advantage or disadvantage of that particular planet. I don't think it's that easy to annihilate a native species (short of destroying the entire ecosystem of the planet).

But there is a contradiction - I can just bomb them without any consequences for planet.

I think there should be a technology to enslave native races. And maybe the technology should be bought for metal from Arda Seed, when you have enough reputation. This would be a good reason for cooperation with Arda Seed. Because currently there is no useful technology that can be bought from them.

wminsing

Postby wminsing » Tue May 29, 2018 2:42 pm

However, 'consequence free bombing' probably won't be a feature forever; I believe the intent is once a better Terraforming model gets implemented that too much bombing can lead to environmental degradation.

-Will

Return to “Testing”