AIs and terrible planet builds

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.

Moderator: luciderous

nathanebht

AIs and terrible planet builds

Postby nathanebht » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:16 pm

The AI could do a much better job at building up its planets. Their planets often have no manufacturing plant. You'll see them with one Lab and multiple Mines. Or other odd mixtures that don't make effective use of the Research, Trade and Mining queue fillers.

Actually I'd suggest getting rid of the Research, Trade and Mining queue fillers. They cause a lot of extra micromanagement when you research an extra planet build slot. I'd instead have completely built up planets build transports or troopships.

SilasOfBorg

Re: AIs and terrible planet builds

Postby SilasOfBorg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:28 pm

I often take my last factory down and slowly build a mine just with pop. After all, the factory probably isn't doing much for you but another mine or lab - yum!

I'm not even 100% sure you should build a factory on smaller planets, especially those that are just going to be mining outposts - it may be faster to just build the mines. I'm not a min-maxer so I haven't done the math.

nathanebht

Postby nathanebht » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:13 am

There are two techs that add a build slot to all of your planets. So having one factory on a mining planet lets you fill those new slots much quicker.

You also have the flexibility to have your mining planets to build small ships. Useful for transports and troop haulers.

BladeX

Postby BladeX » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:51 am

couldn't agree more i've seen it time and time again the Ai take a planet with rich minerals and builds...5 farms :shock:

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Or a mineral poor fertile world with 7 mines and no farms.

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Uhh definitely don't build factories on small worlds that you plan to use for mining/farming. You lose like 20 turns of potential income for a not-that-large boost to build speed. EDIT: now, if you know you're going to use that factory later to build lots of ships, that's another matter. But that usually only applies to worlds with higher population cap, since small planets are always going to have terrible production.

But yes improving how the AI decides what to build on it's planets does seem like good low-hanging fruit to pick at for improving the AI.

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 am

Totally agree. Yesterday I took 2 planets from the tinkers and one was mineral poor and the other was sience rich and he had 5 mines on each. The first thing I had to do was to rebuild everything.

Return to “Testing”